Future Floor Wax?

PFunk

Its an acrylic wax that is self leveling and dries quickly to a hard, smooth surface. It does have limitations, however. It dries to the touch quickly, but does not "set" for almost a day. If you are going to apply a second coat, you have to time it appropriately. Too soon, and it will just blend into the first coat. A little longer and the finish will have cracks in it due to uneven setting of the two coats. Even longer and the second coat will provide a glass like finish. Some have reported long term yellowing, but I have never experienced that and my bottle of Future is about 10 years old. It is NOT easy to remove. It's solvent is ammonia, which can harm many paints and decals never mind what it does to your brain if you smell it too long. I've never had any luck spraying it, but others swear by it, so they can tell you how to do it.

More accurately, it's a 'finish', not a wax. I liken it to an unpigmented clear topcoat, not unlike an acrylic gloss topcoat. I still maintain a full enamel and lacquer paint collection, using acrylics rarely. But, I have airbrushed Future and it's on the AMT Tigercat hanging over my head. I shot it around 15 years ago and it's shown no yellowing, checking or cracking to date.

I would prefer it a bit thicker in viscosity but it does flow through my Badgers very nicely. Just be sure to not apply it too heavily as it will run on you. Try a light mist coat at first then hit it with a heavier coat to get the coverage you wish. But, it doesn't set up as quickly as paint, so be warned it will run if applied haphazardly.

I like it as it's another tool in the toolbox.

Nowadays, it's sold as Pledge Tile &Floor care with Future. I swear by it for all my pre-weathering and decal needs. I've not tried the stuff labeled for wood floors, but I hear it's different.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

YES! It can be easily applied with a brush, BUT watch the following:

1) apply it slowly with a wide brush to avoid air bubbles or at least keep them to a minimum

2) Apply sparingly until you get an idea of how much you can brush on at a time without getting runs

3) You may need to do all horizontal surfaces at once, let dry, and then do other surfaces each in turn to avoid runs

4) It may take longer to completely cure (more than just dry to the touch) than when it's airbrushed on

Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

YES! It can be easily applied with a brush, BUT watch the following:

1) apply it slowly with a wide brush to avoid air bubbles or at least keep them to a minimum

2) Apply sparingly until you get an idea of how much you can brush on at a time without getting runs

3) You may need to do all horizontal surfaces at once, let dry, and then do other surfaces each in turn to avoid runs

4) It may take longer to completely cure (more than just dry to the touch) than when it's airbrushed on

Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Yep, that does help considerably. We may try it on our next endeavor. I don't think we are gonna go the airbrush route anytime soon. Health issues, you know. If my son wants his son to get into it, I'll let them. For now, I foot the bill for our models and paint and stuff. Navy retired pay and social security don't allow for much more. :D Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

It also works great on clear parts. Just dip them in a cup of the stuff, or brush it on. Makes plastic look like glass.

It is excellent for clear parts. I dip my aircraft canopies in Future before I do anything. If there are any minor scratches in your canopy (or car windshield or windows) the Future will make them disappear. A good tip is to touch a corner of the part you have dipped on to a paper towel or other absorbent material. This will remove any excess Future so you do not have "lumps" when the part has dried. Another good idea is to place the part in some kind of covered container once treated with Future. This keeps dust and other materials from sticking on the treated part.