1/700 Harusame: An exercise in Lipstick

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

When I first came into the hobby, I went on a buying binge that covered anything and everything I could possibly want in the hobby.Often times, sellers would throw in little uh, gems that would help sweeten the deal.

Well, this kit happened to be one of those little things.Originally, I used it almost entirely for testing paint. Over time, I felt bad for the little, poorly detailed lump of grey plastic and started playing with some scratch building techniques. I also replaced ALL of her armament as the stuff the kit came with stunk badly.

haru5_zps76f4d9e0.jpg

Here she is shortly after I decided to do something with this kit. Note that the previous owner had started gluing parts to the hull (life boat davits/bridge.) I've added some railing and stuff to the main mast.

haru4_zpsa0d403cc.jpg

I took this picture during one of the many dry fits I did this this build. Masts were replaced with brass and I added some much needed detail.

haru3_zps9df18260.jpg

Adding linoleum deck and copper stripping to the deck. I've also added a ton of Pit Road accessories to the ship.

haru2_zps1aafe330.jpg

Initial completion. This is an old build of mine and looks primitive. EZ line is WAAAAY too thick. Still, the little bit of work put into it made a big difference.

haru1_zpsc201a033.jpg

Final ship. This is the first, and only use of resin so far in a sea base. It looked cool, but was a total pain to build into a bow wave.

That's my first entry. I'll have to throw up some Midship Models hulks later.

• Like 1