I finished this car several months back, but finally got some decent outdoor pics today. It's based on an AMT kit.

The grille is scratch built with a straight pin heads over a styrene shell.

Img_8099_b_LF_view.jpg?psid=1

The top is chopped 1 1/2"

Img_8087_b_RF_view.jpg?psid=1

The burnt orange paint is nail polish applied through an air brush. The roof is Model Masters Sterling Silver Metallic

Img_8092_b_RR_view.jpg?psid=1

I replaced the kit provided 4 barrel carbs with a Hilborn Fuel Injection setup consisting of around 140 scratch built parts.

Img_8100_B_engine.jpg?psid=1

Hi, Thomas,

I would buy one of these AMT kits if the car could be built showroom stock. Unfortunately, that option is not available for the 1962 Catalina. I like the look of your custom car in nail polish "paint." For airbrush application, how much and with what do you thin the nail polish? Does the same thinner work to clean the airbrush afterward? Do you use a primer under the nail polish?

Ed

Hi, Thomas,

I would buy one of these AMT kits if the car could be built showroom stock. Unfortunately, that option is not available for the 1962 Catalina. I like the look of your custom car in nail polish "paint." For airbrush application, how much and with what do you thin the nail polish? Does the same thinner work to clean the airbrush afterward? Do you use a primer under the nail polish?

Ed

Ed, I think there's everything you need in the kit with the exception of stock hubcaps. I used a custom interior and scratch built grille, but the kit has stock interior panels and seats, and a stock grille as well as a custom, tubular grille. In any case, it's a nice kit and worthy of consideration hub caps or not.

I thinned the nail polish about 1:1, possibly a little beyond that with lacquer thinner. Lacquer thinner was used for cleaning as well. I try to use one air brush for solvent based paints and a different one for water based acrylics. There's always some clean up for mold seams and pin marks, so all my models see some Plasticoat gray sandable primer. Even though it would appear simple, there was a lot of body work involved in chopping the top as well.

BTW, the nail polish was shot over the same metallic silver you see on the roof. Thanks for your interest.

Clare, here's a zoomed in shot of the grille. Hope that's what you were looking for.

Img_8086_grille_close-up.jpg?psid=1

Edited by Alyn

• 3 weeks later...

That is lovely. I don't normally gravitate to customs, but your paint and engine detailing look great!

The grille looks great, I thought it was a kit-provided part. It must have been really tough to get that kind of alignment to work so well.

Rick

Edited by RickH