Wire Wheels For Canvas Birds

VonL

I once saw a diagram/template for pulling thin wire or thread around a circular template with notches in the outer edge. The resulting pattern left you with a nice spoked wheel effect and an axle in the middle, that only needed a tire added around it, either by combining split sides of the tire, or maybe a rubber tube going around. Anybody have a copy of this diagram handy? Know where it might be online?

I'm not OCD, but am willing to learn.

Before you go to the trouble of lacing wire wheels, you could look for PE wire wheel sets. Model Technologies made some, and so did Reheat on their generic WWI set. There was even someone (Meikraft?) who made injection molded "split" WWI tires to be used with the PE wire wheel sets. All you had to do was glue them together and then fill the gap on the circumference of the tire. You might try Copper State Models too. They're know for their WWI stuff. Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Very cool - thanx guys!

The diagram in use by the dragster modeler is pretty close to what I remember. Probably worth a try. Have got a couple sets of the PE jobs (Fotocut, etc). They look OK, but if you've seen some of these scratchbuilt, it's a whole new level of play.

CHEERS!

Von_L