New Airfix 1/72 P-40B

Ron Bell

Since two other P-40s have appeared on this forum in the past week, I thought I'd add this one. It's the new tool Airfix P-40B, which I happen to win in the "starter" kit form with the paint and glue at a club raffle. I thought I'd see what the kit was like at least but the only paint of their's I used was for the interior. If any colors are wrong, blame Airfix.

To my surprise it is a very nice kit indeed. Fits very well. Good detail including a pretty nice cockpit (at least to my non-aircraft-building guy standard) and the decals were fantastic. An easy build that was fun like old modeling use to be and the price is excellent. I even tried some new stuff for me, like accenting panel lines (finely engraved) and adding exhaust and smoke stains.

DSCN3231.jpg

DSCN3232.jpg

DSCN3233.jpg

DSCN3237.jpg

DSCN3238.jpg

I left the windscreen and canopy off in these two shots so you could see what they give you for an interior. There are rudder pedals under the instrument panel (decal) that you can't see and the seat belts are from tape.

DSCN3234.jpg

DSCN3236.jpg

That's very nicely done, Ron. I dare say it's the best I've seen extracted from this very good kit that has been done by many modellers since its release. Cartograf made the decals, IIRC. Airfix finally did something after years of complaints about their decals which, to be fair, were made at Trun in France (Heller had a reputedly state-of-the-art decal machine which has never produced decent decals). The very old Airfix decals made in England were ok, the ones that came out of India and China a few years back (Brown backing paper) are reputedly useless, and so they went to what seems to be everyone's favourite decal manufacturer. They're not faultless, but they're very, very good.

One thing that's apparent from your photos is that the inside of your carb air intake on the nose is unpainted. I would paint it RAF interior green, as even if it was not in that particular colour, it could pass for one of the many shades of ZCY.

Edited by Brews

John,

Nice P-40 with interesting markings. Like I said, I'm not an aircraft guy so excuse the ignorance, but what unit used the black and white/sky underside? I thought that went away during the first part of the war.

Ron,

I'll have to dig around to find my source, I think it was from an old RAF FR (and thus suspect), but here's the particulars.

built as Tomahawk IIA AH896/RM-Y of 26 Sqn (SA), Gatwick, summer of 1941. These aircraft, although considered 2nd line, performed some recon, interdiction, and attack on the continent and stood by to repel any invasion. 26 Sqn received Tomahawks in Feb 41, this particular one from 403 Sqn RCAF, and started conversion to Mustangs in January 1942 with the last Tomahawk gone by January 1943.

From the color profile you can see it is DG/DE/Sky and has the black port wing, which is what attracted me to it. There are a few distinctive markings -- a large black aircraft code "Y" under the starboard wing, a small "H" under the nose left over from 403 Sqn, and a small Springbok heads on each fin flash. This latter will cause me some difficulty -- if a seach of the decal stash doesn't turn something up I'll have to assume away the problem of put a suitably shaped brown splotch on instead. Otherwise the markings -- spinner, band, codes, etc, are standard.

I'm an early war type and go looking for black/white/etc undersides ....