Tamiya 1:35 M4A3E2 Sherman "Jumbo"

Brews

This is the Tamiya 1:35 M4A3E2 Sherman "Jumbo" - one that was up-armoured to the thickness of a Churchill, and had a turret similar to the T-23 turret of the 76mm Sherman's. Tamiya got the turret badly wrong compared to Bradford's plans (which seem to be in error in some places themselves compared to photos). Too narrow, generally by about 5mm, but about the right length. The loader's hatch is too small, to fit the too-small turret roof. Also, the transmission cover isn't as well-armoured as it should be. Still a bit to do on it. The Transmission cover and the turret both need tidying-up. It won't be as good as a Tasca, but then, the Tasca costs a bit more.

Not wishing to use ounces of Milliput to beef up the turret, I thought of using plastic card, maybe thermoformed ... and then it hit me. To widen the turret, I drew some pencil lines so that my cuts would be ok. I didn't want to cut something I'd regret later.

Firstly, I isolated the bulk of the turret from the mounting ring, then I slit around the mantlet, and then bisected the turret roof.

Here's the result:

file.jpg

file-2.jpg

Compared to a plan by George Bradford - the outline now looks pretty good:

Photos of the real thing - first, one that got hit by 4 88mm rounds at 800m - you can see the result of one that hit the mantlet and deflected down (I think this scraped the glacis, but some think that was another shot) - the one that got the tank was a "lucky" hit on the gunner's scope. You can see the big hole, where a small hole should be. What I'd like you to see here is the relative size of the mantlet to the turret (of course, I'll note the underside details that are otherwise rarely seen):

Front and Side of one that was immobilised by an American mine, and was then hit by 8 "88mm"* shells. Note that the contours of the Tamiya turret aren't too bad in comparison:

This one shows another angle of it. Drawings are useful, but I always like to corroborate the draftsman's impressions with photos of the real thing whereever I can:

*I wouldn't be surprised if these were 75mm hits. The Pak 40 was often misrepresented as an 88, and the holes look to be about the same calibre as the Sherman's gun - mind you, we're only talking 1/2" difference.

Evolution of the turret:

file-7.jpg

file-8.jpg

file-9.jpg

file-10.jpg

After filing the upper part of the front of the turret, between the gunner's periscope and the mantlet (still need to attend to the near side of the front of the turret):

file-12.jpg

After beefing up the nearside cheek:

file_zpsd1cbff13.jpg

Transmission cover:

file-11.jpg

file_zps99db328f.jpg

file_zps9b3048f6.jpg

... getting there. Just need to add some more details:

file-13.jpg

file-14.jpg

file_zps7ce6ca8c.jpg

The colours are all Tamiya mixes, from XF-58 to XF62/60 mixes. Steve Zaloga's suggestion for US Army OD is two parts XF-62 to one part XF-60. I think the variations of the colours are, in themselves, a suggestion of weathering, but the thing probably deserves a smackering of mud on the undercarriage, and a few chips and scratches here and there. I also need to Tidy up some of the filler on the turret, in particular.

One thing I found that I had to do, after enlarging the turret, was to move the whole thing backwards a little. On reflection, I probably didn't do it the best way. What I did was I used the drum sander on the Dremel and just enlarged the circular opening for the turret ring to the rear by about 2 or 3mm - just enough to allow the driver's and radio operator's hatches to open and clear the mantlet (if they were to open, that is - they're glued shut on my model). This then gels with Bradford's drawing, more or less. Of course, having made the opening bigger, I had to remove the sloppiness, which I did with some plastic card. It's a very crude and rustic way to do this, and I probably could have used a coping saw (or even drilled a number of closely-spaced, small holes) to keep the original "turret ring" intact, but I didn't think of it at the time. Besides, it works :)

I took a few more photos after I'd painted the tracks and running gear a couple of shades of brown:

file_zpsfa362e3e.jpg

file_zps32aa11ab.jpg

file_zpsb26f3bba.jpg

file_zps17b1e622.jpg

I found a periscope guards (which I need) in a Dragon boxing of an Easy 8 (IP parts for which PE is also provided). However, I lost one, and then realised that the IP guards were too small (narrow) anyway, so I started fabricating some new ones from brass wire. The Dragon kit may, at some point, be useful if I ever choose to "up gun" this to a 76mm, as the Dragon has both IP and turned aluminium barrels. Many Jumbos eventually gained 76mm weapons.

I have cut out Sommerfield matting from aluminium mesh for the turret, and made a turret "grab railing" for each side from brass wire. It goes against my grain to cover up a tank with foliage and stowage, but I might do it on this one, even if my finish is smooth enough to not need to cover it up, as I have some images of a tank with Sommerfield matting and much vegetation covering it that really appeals to me. I'd like to get this finished for the Vancouver Fall Show in October.