Ford F-550 chassis vs. F-250

Joev259A

I've been asked to build a model based on a Ford F-550 chassis. I know there's a kit of a Ford F-250, so being an airplane guy I'm not sure what the difference is from a dimension standpoint (I'm sure there is). If I wanted to make an accurate chassis, where can I find information, and is there a possiblity of using/extending the F-250 chassis and make it an F-550 chassis? Thanks!

If I remember right most of the F550 differences had to do with suspension, drive train and accessories. I would recommend just checking with Ford, and or a Ford dealer parts department.

I've been asked to build a model based on a Ford F-550 chassis. I know there's a kit of a Ford F-250, so being an airplane guy I'm not sure what the difference is from a dimension standpoint (I'm sure there is). If I wanted to make an accurate chassis, where can I find information, and is there a possiblity of using/extending the F-250 chassis and make it an F-550 chassis? Thanks!

I had to google it. An F-550 is a medium truck (somewhere around 15,000 pounds gross weight) built around a standard Ford pickup cab, hood, fenders, and (optionally) the bed. You can buy just a cab-on-frame and add your own bed to make a mini-dump, tow truck, etc. I think they all have dual rear wheels, and if you get it with a standard pickup bed there are big fender extensions to cover the extra tires. According to wikipedia at some point the front track was widened and the stock front fenders have wheel flares too. There are some heavy duty engines available that probably aren't in any kit of a street pickup.

The frame and suspension seem to be heavy duty parts - they have a lot more ground clearance and bigger wheels and tires than an F-250. I didn't find any details on the F-550 frame, I'm not sure you could tell if you just reused an F-250 kit frame. You''ll have to find more info (model year and equipment) to see if there are any kits of that year available and what you'll have to scratchbuild.

Don

Thanks Jeff and Don. My son-in-law is a police officer and he's interested in a model of the Lenco Bearcat. I'll be able to take pictures, measurements, etc., and the Wikipedia says it's based on the F-550 frame. I didn't think about going to a Ford dealer. The sales guys will first swamp me with offers, then disappear when I say I want to build a model of a truck they have in stock. Hmm, maybe not a bad idea. . . . I may end up using an F-250 as a basis.