The Haul, or what you've recently bought.

Guest PetrolGator

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good documentation is essential to the completion of an accurate model. After ordering the model, I bought the documentation. The model arrived today. The plan is to make an in-depth study of the p

As I was walking the aisle at my "local" HobbyTown USA a few days ago, an odd thing happened. A big box with a Revell of Germany kit of the Douglas C-54D in 1/72 scale fell off the shelf right into m

Went with the wife to a thrift shop mall on Saturday. Found an old Revell-Monogram A-10 in 1/48 scale in a vendor's booth for $5.99. It was opened, so I peeked inside, but decided not to buy it. A few

Posted Images

At the first annual Brookhurst Hobbies Spruefest, I was able to pick up these in the raffle:

Revell 1/144 scale Type 214 U Boat:

Revell_U_214_U_boat.jpg

AMT Re-pop of their 1/16th Big Scale '55 Chevrolet Nomad:

AMT_55_Nomad_.jpg

Later on I bought this 1/72 scale Hobby Boss AH-1S Cobra attack helicopter for my Israeli forces:

Hobby_Boss_AH_1S_Cobra.jpg

I also picked up some masking tape and Exacto blades as well.

Very cool, Mark. I always try and make a visit to Brookhurst when I'm visiting my bud in OC.

Been sick for about a month and haven't built a thing, but that didn't stop me from buying.

I just got the Pegasus Von Braun Moonlander -

moonlander%20poster%20web.jpg

I was also able to order a few diorama bits and bobs from Greenstuff World -

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/

They are in Spain but deliveries are pretty quick. I got a few leaf punches and a few rolling pins for flooring. The are actually rolling pins about 4 or 5 inches long and embossed with various flooring options - bricks, flagstones. So you put out some clay or Aves and then roll the pin over the clay. The image transfers to the clay. Then all you have to do is gently lay it out on the dio and voila, a brick roadway. Not being very long it's best for the 1/72 and maybe the 1/48 guys. worth a look.

They also have this stuff called "Blue Stuff" in which you put a few sticks of this "stuff" into almost boiling water and it softens up. Then take it out, knead it and put it over whatever you want to reproduce. So take a Jerry can,and put the BlueStuff over one side, and let it cool, Then put more over the other side of the can. Once it's all cooled you pull the two sections apart, remove the can, and then mix up some greenstuff or miliput (for some reason Aves won't work) and put it in the mold. Smoosh the two parts and then create your copy of the Jerry can or whatever. I used it top make a few 1/72 pilots for my planes.

Edited by Roktman
  • Like 1

Watch out when building that Nomad kt; it'll require scratch building a couple of surfboards too.... :smiley20: Duke dude!

GIL :smiley16:

That shouldn't be too hard. We'll see.

Kevin that is so cool. I like that. Thanks also for the tips on those tools. I'll definitely have to get me some of those things. They will be very helpful.

• 1 month later...

Okay, here's quite a haul I managed to get over the past few weeks. These first models I got were from Tim Kirkland representing the Spartanburg Scale Modelers Distribution Company.

This is what I bought from them; these are all in 1/72 scale:

AZ Models AH-1G Huey Cobra Early:

AZ_Models_AH-1G_Early_Cobra.jpg

Hasegawa AH-1S Huey Cobra:

Hasegawa_AH-1S_Cobra.jpg

Hasegawa Mitsubishi T-2:

Hasegawa_Mitsubishi_T-2_.jpg

Heller SAAB J.32 Lansen:

Heller_J_32_Lansen.jpg

Hobby Boss F-15E Strike Eagle:

Hobby_Boss_F-15E_Strike_Eagle.jpg

Trumpeter BAe Lightning F.1A/F.2:

Trumpeter_Lightning_F1A.jpg

Trumpeter BAe Lightning F.6/F.2A:

Trumpeter_Lightning_F6.jpg

These next acquisitions are what I purchased at the Pasadena Valleycon from the local vendors.

These tools:

2017_Valleycon_Tools_.jpg

This next one is a partially started Chinese War Junk I got for $5.00:

Lindberg_Chinese_War_Junk_.jpg

Another very cheap model was this Military Wheels 1/72 scale Russian Fuel truck I got for $3.00:

Military_Wheels_Russian_Fuel_Truck.jpg

Late on I won these in the raffle:

Pegasus T-800 Endoskeletons from Terminator II:

Pegasus_T-800_Endoskeletons.jpg

Dragon 1/72 scale SdKfz 263 Funkspahwagen 8-rad:

Dragon_Sd_Kfz_263.jpg

That's all I got so far. The next things to post will be my prizes from CTA III. I might possibly have some additional acquisitions for my birthday too, but we'll see.

Okay now, back to the bench.....

I was fortunate to trade away an Academy M163 Vulcan and in return get both a Vulcan Mk VIc and the Hobby Boss EBR. Also found the 1/72 scale Bandai TIE Interceptor at my local Hobby Lobby.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting into my newly organized horde of new kits ;)

But I am excited for this to come up in the queue

865600_md-.JPG

The coolest thing I've found though is that Xacto, after making knife handles for something like 487 years, finally made one with a weight at the END, and a little Lip to keep it from rolling! My feet feel safer already

865598_md-.JPG

865597_md-.JPG

Edited by dsteingass
  • Like 1

@Mark- I am a HUGE fan of Pegasus stuff. I have boxes of their Gothic building and ruins sprues. It'll be interesting if this new Terminator property will release some similar product for modern/future wars

That type of X-Acto knife has been around well over a decade. I had a photo of one in an article I wrote for Armorama back in 2001.

It's the X2000 knife, so I think it might have been released in 2000.

Edited by RGronovius

Cool, well, I just discovered it. No more rolling off the table and potentially stabbing my feet ;)

I hadn't seen one of those before either, Dave. Something like that will definitely be needed, since I recently adopted a cat that likes to jump up on the table and "help" me once in a while. Nice to know my feet no longer have to live in fear. Ordering one right now. Thanks for the post, Dave! :smiley16:

Eagle

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, here's quite a haul I managed to get over the past few weeks. These first models I got were from Tim Kirkland representing the Spartanburg Scale Modelers Distribution Company.

This is what I bought from them; these are all in 1/72 scale:

AZ Models AH-1G Huey Cobra Early:

AZ_Models_AH-1G_Early_Cobra.jpg

Hasegawa AH-1S Huey Cobra:

Hasegawa_AH-1S_Cobra.jpg

Hasegawa Mitsubishi T-2:

Hasegawa_Mitsubishi_T-2_.jpg

Heller SAAB J.32 Lansen:

Heller_J_32_Lansen.jpg

Hobby Boss F-15E Strike Eagle:

Hobby_Boss_F-15E_Strike_Eagle.jpg

Trumpeter BAe Lightning F.1A/F.2:

Trumpeter_Lightning_F1A.jpg

Trumpeter BAe Lightning F.6/F.2A:

Trumpeter_Lightning_F6.jpg

These next acquisitions are what I purchased at the Pasadena Valleycon from the local vendors.

These tools:

2017_Valleycon_Tools_.jpg

This next one is a partially started Chinese War Junk I got for $5.00:

Lindberg_Chinese_War_Junk_.jpg

Another very cheap model was this Military Wheels 1/72 scale Russian Fuel truck I got for $3.00:

Military_Wheels_Russian_Fuel_Truck.jpg

Late on I won these in the raffle:

Pegasus T-800 Endoskeletons from Terminator II:

Pegasus_T-800_Endoskeletons.jpg

Dragon 1/72 scale SdKfz 263 Funkspahwagen 8-rad:

Dragon_Sd_Kfz_263.jpg

That's all I got so far. The next things to post will be my prizes from CTA III. I might possibly have some additional acquisitions for my birthday too, but we'll see.

Okay now, back to the bench.....

Nice. The War Junk could be modified into Mr. Kim's flying restaurant from the 5th Element. :D

Rlvr9QY.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent link! I might have to pass as I don't think I could do all that stunning detail. We'll see; I have some time to think about it.

Thanks again for the link. That guy is truly a talented master!

• Like 1

Excellent link! I might have to pass as I don't think I could do all that stunning detail. We'll see; I have some time to think about it.

Thanks again for the link. That guy is truly a talented master!

No worries. :smiley2: As I looked at Mr. Kim's boat link again, the junk shape was a little off anyway. ;)

The RPF is a good place to lurk. There are often SFX guys that work in films and such, hang out there and build stuff for their own collections.

It is amazing. If you have time, checkout the Studio Scale section - WOW.

Ok guys sorry for bringing this off topic. I'll bring it back on topic by showing these latest busts. Two are from American Werewolf in London, and the 3rd is an Alien. You can never have enuff alien kits. ;)

011.JPG

Edited by Roktman

On the Modeler's Alliance Forums they ran a Call to Arms Campaign over the course of four months time. They call Group Builds 'Campaigns' over there. This particular campaign was a fund raiser though to raise funds for the American Cancer Society. One could only participate by paying a donation of $10.00 minimum for each model you wanted to build for the Call to Arms campaign. Higher donations were also welcome of course. Since I have cancer, I was asked to be the patron, or 'face' of the campaign as a way of personalizing this and motivating others to participate more. The organizers of this campaign arranged for donations of prizes from companies and fellow modelers that were donated to the Forums to be awarded to those campaign participants who wished to be considered for a prize. There was easily enough prizes for everyone who participated. Finally, this Call to Arms campaign was able to raise just over $1300.00 USD; all of which went to the American Cancer Society to help them in their fight against cancer.

Now that it is over, the prizes have been distributed. Two of my friends and fellow modelers on Modeler's Alliance; Lawrence and Warren, were kind enough to pass on their prizes to me in honor of my position as 'patron' of the campaign. I was honored and touch deeply by their kindness and generosity.

Warren's prize was an Italeri Opel Maltier in 1/35th scale:

CTA_Prize_Italeri_Opel_Maultier.jpg

After discussing it with him, he welcomed my choice of selling this kit and using the funds to purchase something else in my own preferred scale. He was thrilled that it would help me acquire something more suitable for my collection.

From Lawrence I received some Gator Grip Glue from Kenny Loup. You can see that Kenny sent a few extra goodies as well; a tool holder for my sprue cutters and a ton of Mardi Gras beads from that recent celebration. Thanks Kenny!

Gator_Grip_Glue_CTA_Prize.jpg

Finally, my own prize arrived a day ago from Badger Airbrushes. This is the Badger Sotar brush that I will be using as my fine-tipped brush for fine work:

Badger_Airbrush_CTA_Prize.jpg

Overall it was an honor and a pleasure to participate in this campaign to help fight cancer. I am thrilled to have been a part of such an honorable endeavor.

Than you all for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Just this past weekend I went to a large tabletop wargame convention called Kingdom Con in San Diego. It was great that I'd gotten paid just before it. While there wasn't too much for a model builder there, I did manage to score some great new stuff between playing a number of table top war games.

I'll start with a box of models I bought from the guy who started this Con way back when. He was selling them along with a ton of other games and gaming pieces in the Friday Night Flea Market that was only on Friday night. I asked how much and he said make an offer so I offered $65.00 for the box.

This is what I got:

Aurora Munitions Carrier and 8" Gun in 1/35th scale:

Aurora_Munitions_Carrier_and_Gun.jpg

It was already "severely" started (as we say in my IPMS club) but it had a great little pamphlet of all the Aurora 1/35th scale tanks in it:

Aurora_Munitions_Carrier_InsideBox.jpg

Hobby Boss 1/48 scale Russian T-24 tank:

Hobby_Boss_1_48_T_34_76_Tank.jpg

This was 'very' started too but I'll probably finish it and give it to a friend who plays Bolt Action games. This scale is perfect for them.

Another 1/48 scale Hobby Boss tank, this time a Sherman:

Hobby_Boss_1_48_M4_Sherman_Tank.jpg

This was also very started and it also had a little extra something inside:

Hobby_Boss_Sherman_Extras_.jpg

I'm still trying to determine what that large decal sheet goes to. All it says is Williams Bros. on it; no scale or subject. This Sherman will also go to my Bolt Action friend.

Moving on, I also got a good number of aircraft, all in my scale...

A Monogram Snap Tite A-10 Warthog that will be going to my clubs Make-n-Take at the Fullerton Airport in two weeks:

Monogram_Snap_Tite_A_10_Warthog.jpg

An Ancient MPC Profile Series kit of the OS-2 Kingfisher:

MPC_OS_2U_Kingfisher_.jpg

Another ancient kit, this time the Matchbox P-70 Nightfighter:

Matchbox_P_70_Nightfighter.jpg

I built one of these as a wee lad of 8. I'll see if I can do better now....

A few Hasegawa kits, starting with this P-51 Nose Art plane:

Hasegawa_P_51D_Mustang_Nose_Art_I.jpg

Another one, this one being a Hawker Harrier:

Hasegawa_Hawker_Harrier_I.jpg

And another Hasegawa kit: an F-14A Tomcat:

Hasegawa_F_14_Tomcat_I.jpg

The box was damaged, but everything inside was intact and still in the poly bags.

Finally there is this Sci-Fi kit of The War of the Worlds. It's the special edition kit with the plated Martian ships:

Pegasus_War_of_the_Worlds.jpg

The box was damaged but again, everything is still inside.

In addition to these kits, I also bought some reference books from him:

Ref_Books_I.jpg

Later on, while wandering through the vendor room, I picked up a few more things.

Here's a cutting mat I got for $12.00:

Warmachine_Cutting_Mat.jpg

Later I found another booth selling some pre-cut wooden gaming boxes. They were also selling these for $25.00, so I picked one up:

Paint_Rack_I.jpg

I should have picked up two. They contain 'clips' that allow you to fasten two together side-by-side. This really helped clear some space on my workbench:

Paint_Rack_II.jpg

They also sell racks with smaller holes for Vallejo type paints too.

I got a paintbrush too, but didn't shoot a pic of it.

Well, that's about all I have for now. It'll probably be my last for awhile unless I get more work. Until then, I certainly do have a lot to work on.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 1

I really gotta stop buying... :lol:

This time around, with the upcoming release of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, I had to pick up Fantastic Plastic's Milano. It has a few problems, but it's the only Milano around...

001.JPG

Bandai's Y Wing -

001.JPG

Doesn't everyone need a few bottles of slime? Will come in handy for an upcoming dio...

002.JPG

A new "discovered" (by me) miniatures site featuring this possible Ma.K entry - in 1:35 scale

001.JPG

A closeup - Why do many of the vehicle operators in these Dystopian worlds seem to be women? ;)

002.JPG

This just lends itself to an interesting diorama.

• Like 1

My son would go off the charts if he saw that Y - Wing. Nice score Kevin.

• Like 1

Great scores Kevin! Man, I'd love to have one of those Milanos in plastic. What a cool ship! Enjoy the Y-wing too.That Mak K kit looks interesting too. As for always being women, well, that's equality for you!

Okay, now for what I got....

This past weekend at Hobby Day, I got a very late Christmas present from a friend and fellow IPMS club member:

IBG_Models_Type_89_Japanese_Tank.jpg

This has link and length tracks on this tiny tank! I might be starting this very soon.

This past week, I helped out a friend of mine from my church who was stuck at home recovering from surgery. They had to remove one of his kidneys since there was a cancerous mass in the middle of it. He had been sitting at home bored out of his gourd, so I took him to lunch. He mentioned how tough it was not being able to do anything. I suggested to him to try and build a model. He agreed, saying he used to do that as a kid. So, I took him to a local Hobby Shop where I bought him a couple easy models, some glue, and some tools. I also picked up this for myself:

Airfix_USAAF_Bomber_Supply_Set.jpg

We went back to his house where we went to work on our models. While I coached him on his, I also worked on mine. He loved it, so I invited him to my IPMS club meeting which was going to be a build night that night.

At the club meeting, I received another gift from a friend there:

IBG_Models_Type_89_Japanese_Medium_Tank_

These all were started. You can see the progress at the Maddog Manufacturing plant. Feel free to stop in for a short tour....