The Haul, or what you've recently bought.

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

A friend from Japan sent me a few kits as a "feel better" present after an awful week. It was a hell of a gesture and is a great kit. Fine Molds' 1/350 Fubuki-class kits are almost good enough to leave OOB.

fine-molds-models-ijn-destroyer-amagiri-

1/350 Northstar figures from a stash a friend found. Our little scuffle with Russia is making these very hard to find.

nsa350508-2_zpse99e3304.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I think the last thing I actually bought for myself "just because" was a Tamiya 1/48th scale Swordfish that I found on sale at a Hobby Lobby in Lubbock, Texas. Listed for $70-something and I got it for around $40. Don't remember the specifics because it's been a couple of years. Have I built it yet? Not a chance. I'm too busy producing a monthly column for Toy Farmer, construction articles for Toy Trucker & Contractor, as well as commissions and other projects that I hope actually make some money. Probably the coolest model I have on hand is a 1/35th Belorus tractor from Plus Models in the Czech Republic.

What's insulting is that I'm an aircraft nut and I haven't actually built an aircraft in at least four or five years. Hopefully I can correct that with another project I'm getting ready to start.

Finally, there's one model I keep wanting to build, keep threatening to buy and never get around to it because I don't know when I'll find the time to build it. That 1/87th Hudson Locomotive from Revell that Rick Lorenz has in his stash. Good thing he doesn't live near me. I might try to talk him out of it!

Richard

I guess us farm kids never really outgrow the farm, and the toys that went along with the chores:

458A82A6-FA0B-4C7A-88D2-B68E247FB700-218

962986D4-682E-4D7A-9CCB-B8A34D7E8A23-218

They all get proudly displayed right along with the model collection. I remember reading my brother's Toy Farmer issues. Been probably 20 years ago? I'm still holding down the family farm as a closet airplane nut so I know it can be done.

I wish I had known that the Hudson locomotive would interest you. I sold it last February when I cleared out about 200 kits to make the stash more manageable.

Rick L.

• Like 1

Well, I went out shopping today for some more paint that i needed to get things done. In the process, I picked up a few more things.

First of all, I figured it was time to pick up some models I had being held for me at the LHS.

These are all in 1/72 scale:

UM Models British Achilles:

UM_Achilles.jpg

Next are two trucks: the Aoshima JGSDF 1.5 ton cargo truck:

Aoshima_JGSDF_Truck.jpg

And finally the RPM Mack AC Bulldog:

MACK_AC_Bulldog.jpg

Driving home, I realized that I also needed some new hoses, connectors and other accessories for my airbrushes. So, a quick stop to Coast Airbrush to pick up these:

LA_Airbrush_Supplies.jpg

And finally, my compressor is starting to crap out on me so I went to Lowe's to get this:

LA_New_Compressor.jpg

Daddy's gonna have fun this week!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PetrolGator

I added:

- ISW's 1/350 USS Rudderow. I'll be modifying her into the USS Samuel B Roberts in 1944

- Hasegawa's 1/350 IJN Yahagi. This comes with all the Hasegawa PE and Eduard set. Huge haul of one of my favorite ships.

- BRM's 1/700 Arsenal ship. I'll be building her as the fictional next USS Arizona, as suggested by US Navy art of the class. As a tribute, she'll be painted in her namesake's camouflage.

And finally, my compressor is starting to crap out on me so I went to Lowe's to get this:LA_New_Compressor.jpg

Let us know hot that compressor works. I bought one for garage use (not arrived yet), and am curious how it'll work with an air brush.

And finally, my compressor is starting to crap out on me so I went to Lowe's to get this:LA_New_Compressor.jpg

Let us know hot that compressor works. I bought one for garage use (not arrived yet), and am curious how it'll work with an air brush.

Kim, this works extremely well with my airbrush. I have three hooked up to it currently and they are all working great. That big knob in front helps to regulate the air very well so you can get some excellent precision with your brush. The only drawback I have is that it is quite loud and sometimes when it starts up again suddenly; it makes me jump. Otherwise, it has been the best investment I've made yet.

Nit works very well. I used a Nit tank for several years and never had to use a moisture trap in the line. (Humidity in my area is usually quite high) I finally decided to let it go. The last time I took it in for a fill-up I found that they would not fill it due to its age. State regs require a tank replacement every few years and this thing was several years past its life expectancy. The other reason I went to a compressor (Iwata) is because the Nit Tank weighs quite a bit and I got tired of relocating it when I cleaned the floor and workbench area.

I have a Silentaire silent compressor and it is exactly that. The noise level is so low that it doesn't interfere with conversations, probably because the compressor is basically a refrigerator compressor. Mounted on a two gallon pancake tank and a wheeled frame, it's easy to move as well and will handle several airbrushes. Comes with a moisture trap and pressure regulator. It's also oil lubricated, but I installed the oil when I got it about ten years or so ago and haven't added any since. There is a downside, however. Price is a little better than $1200.

Guest PetrolGator

Yeah, because you need more kits, Warren.

You know what you need? You need to TAKE BACK your living room and display some planes, son! ;)

At the same show:

1/350 Admiral Graf Spee, Academy

1/350 Trumpeter USS England

It was a slow day for me, purchase wise.

Hi, Jim,

The instruction booklet for the Monogram 1/48 Kit #5609 PBY-5 Catalina has 16 pages. PM me with your USPS mailing address. I will mail you a complete copy. Do you have the decals? If not, I can include a color copy of the decal sheet.

Ed Wahl