Guest PetrolGator

The Haul, or what you've recently bought.

Hi, Mark,

With the above photo of your three M992A1 kits, were we just treated to a glimpse of your usually unseen work area in the background?

Ed

Very cool Mark. I never saw that M992 before. But then again my son is much more versed in armor than I am. But I'm looking fwd to see what you do with them.

Just got the Tamiya engraving set.  Stupid expensive at $30.00 a blade, but far and away the best panel line engraver I own and that is saying a lot.  I have a drawer full of panel line scribes. The difference is that these give you a flat bottom with square sides and no ridges on the top.  They are so expensive because they are tungsten carbide  and are very sharp.  Don't bother buying the special handle for them.  They fit in a pin vice with the proper collet.  I use my large Tamiya pin vice and really like it because it  has a decent diameter and with the knurling it is easy to control the angle of the blade.   As to the cost, well they are $30 from Tamiya but if you shop around and buy them all together(so you only pay one shipping fee) and they can be had for less than half that.  Oh and although my photo shows all 4 blades they are only sold individually and each one comes with the case for all of them.  Not sure why but that is the way it is. 

Item image

22 hours ago, ewahl said:

Hi, Mark,

With the above photo of your three M992A1 kits, were we just treated to a glimpse of your usually unseen work area in the background?

Ed

Yes you have. And what an incredible mess it is right now too. LOL!

Kevin, I never even knew they had come out with the M-992's myself. I found them while shopping for the M-109A2. I figured, why not?

Pete, that is an amazing set. Congrats on scoring that one.

Does anyone know of any company selling the Tamiya Engraving Tools in the full set?

Sorry no one replied Rusty. I don't know myself. However, I did manage to pick up a few things at Orangecon.

Here's my purchases and raffle prizes from Orangecon:

Paints I purchased, $2.00 for the larger bottles $1.00 FOR THE SMALLER ONES:

Orangecon_2018_Paints.jpg

Raffle prizes.....

Eagles Illustrated book:

Eagles_Illustrated_Book.jpg

Hobby Boss 1/350 scale DKM U-Boat:

Hobby_Boss_DKM_Navy_Type_IX-C_U-boat.jpg

Airfix 1/72 scale Folland Gnat:

Airfix_Folland_Gnat_T1.jpg

And the one I was most thrilled to have won: a Space 1999 Hawk Mark IX:

MPC_Space_1999_Hawk_MarkIX.jpg

On 9/5/2018 at 12:48 PM, Rusty White said:

Does anyone know of any company selling the Tamiya Engraving Tools in the full set?

Sorry 'bout that. I never got the usual notice when someone writes to my topics I'm following. I check both of my "go to" places - Megahobby and HLJ, and neither one sells them by the set - all individual. But HLJ is selling them at cheaper...

https://hlj.com/search/go?ts=custom&w=Tamiya engraving set

Oh, here is my latest that I managed to get from the Antelope Valley contest a few weeks ago.

I purchased these books:

This one on Soviet and Russian ballistic missiles since I have an Iskandr to build:

Book-Russian_Ballistic_Missiles.jpg

Another book on Russian vehicles, this one is on Russian T-64 and T-80 tanks since I need to figure out the differences among them. This will help when I get more Modelcollect T-64 tanks:

Book-T-64_and_T-80_Tanks.jpg

Another Russian tank book on the T-80. More detailed and will really help with more of the Modecollect T-80 kits:

Book-T-80_Tank.jpg

Finally, this book on German Armored Trains. I have this book already only it was printed in Polish so I couldn't read it. Now I have the English language version here:

Book-German_Armored_Trains.jpg

Now here are the two kits I got from Antelope Valley. This first one was a purchase. Now I can do two B-2 Stealth Bombers; one with kit decals and one with the Nationals decals:

Testor_s_B-2_Stealth_Bpmber.jpg

And this was my one and only raffle prize. I'm going to enjoy this one! It even comes with a bonus backdrop display:

AMT_Batwing.jpg

Last bit not least; I got this as a prize at my church festival at the beginning of October from one of their festival games. I had packed it away and forgot about it until recently:

Book-Cars_of_1965.jpg

That's all I got so far. Christmas is coming though...

• Like 1