Guest PetrolGator

The Haul, or what you've recently bought.

In Dragon USA online's "Gone in a flash sale" (50% off all in stock items) last Wednesday, I got the 1/35 scale Dragon IDF M60 w/ERA kit for $24, $31 delivered. It is normally a $70 kit but was on special for $48 so I got it for half that. I believe it includes everything to build a regular Slick 60 as used by the US Army.

l_DRA3581.jpg

• Like 1

Nice scores guys! Way to go!

I also took advantage of the Flash sale and picked up Dragon's El Alamein Sherman, another of Platz's T-33s and a set of figures (ordered 2 but the other must have been out of stock).

Got all that for about half of what the Sherman retails for. 

• Like 1

Found an interesting kit in the clearance aisle of Hobby Lobby today. Originally $27.99, it was $7.50. The Revell 1/144 White Knight Two and Spaceship Two.

s-l1600.jpg

I really need to take a break from kit shopping. But here are 3 of my latest. Anyone who knows me, knows I loved the weird and bizarre in avaition. So when I saw the Kalinin K12 reviewed in a recent SAMI I had to have it.  Then I went back to my horror and fantasy busts with Peter Cushing as Baron Von Frankenstein, and Pan from Pans Labyrinth. Thanks for looking.

IMG_2332.jpg.d4c495a554cf5e2b9b60a2a08007244e.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg.9de00190d1f1f2f156f8c92a578dcf16.jpgIMG_2333.jpg.38c3e39c280c5a92cf3f8d1ce69c5e64.jpg

I am far more interested in the developmental history of that camouflage scheme!  Where and how on Earth did they come with that design??

Nice scores Kevin! I agree with Rusty, that camouflage on that Russian bird is most intriguing. I'd love to know more about that too.

Okay, here are some of my acquisitions from the past couple weeks.

First is this one, given to me by a friend who got it from his next door neighbor:

Revell_Space_Shuttle_with_Launch_Tower.j

That has since been sold. Made a pretty penny off it.

Next are two deals I got from Squadron, both were gotten for between 60 and 75 percent off:

Hobby_Boss_Eurocopter_HAP_Tigre.jpg

Hobby_Boss_German_Panzerlok_Br-57_Locomo

I've already started both of these. The locomotive is already at the painting stage.

Last is a gift I got from a friend and fellow AMPS member:

Value_Gear_Truck_Loads_I.jpg

That's probably gonna be it for awhile; I need to save up for Phoenix. I have plenty to keep me busy for awhile anyway.

• Like 1

On a shopping spree once again(just got my bonus).  Ordered a Fine molds Kit and PE(includes the rigging) from Japan.  The reviews on this were good, should not have any difficulty wit the build.  This plane you do not see many builds.

image.png.c3014d6805eb9be9aed28d34396db056.png

image.png.948d26e74b823818dda3126cc94c3701.png

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 12:47 PM, Rusty White said:

I am far more interested in the developmental history of that camouflage scheme!  Where and how on Earth did they come with that design??

Evidently it was painted with those feathers for its reveal at a parade in 1937. It was called the Firebird after a A russian folk tale similar to the Phoenix bird stories, hence the feathers. The decals make it look a lot nice than the paint job it was given in the field. ;)

k12-4.jpg

It never occurred to me that those patterns were supposed to be feathers, even in the cleaner looking box art.  I love the history behind stuff like this.  The history of naval camouflage patterns in the second world war is absolutely fascinating.