The Haul, or what you've recently bought.

Guest PetrolGator

I also love the Batmobile and got their snap together version with the prepainted body as I just didn't want to try all that trim.

Been thinking about getting the original Aurora version or probably repop as it is close to the scale of the Batcopter I will get to someday.  Thinking a dio of Batman getting out the door and Robin jumping over his to "Get to the Chappa!"

I have acquired a few more things but trying to hold out until Nats to see if I can get some deals.  Also, doing the shipping for the Review Corp and trying to fit my own reviews in has been taking up too much time.

Thanks for the great comments guys! I'm thrilled to have won that Batmobile too. Robin, maybe I'll give you a list! LOL!

I know what you mean Phil, I'm also trying to finish a few reviews for another separate website. I also want to wait till the Nationals to see what is there. I have a nice long list. Now if Freetime Hobbies doesn't sell all their 1/72 scale armor models to one guy who disappeared afterward on the first day of the con, I'll be happy to fill my list.

This current flyer for the store has some photos of the kits available. I did not see any polar lights kits, but several Lindberg and a half dozen different Revell. Most were prepainted bodies like Camaro, Corvette, Mustang. http://www.ollies.us/ollies-army/

• 4 weeks later...

Nice score Mark. While I dig the Batmobile (eh, the resin figures should be no problem) 😉 I dig the ambulance. I'm drawn to the "not the usual" kits.

For me  Whats Old is New Again!  Yesterday was a hot one in the ol' hobby den despite the AC going. It was so hot in fact that the parchment paper I use on the wet palette was drying up before my eyes. I gave up painting for the day.

To still get something done up there, it hit me that I had a box of garage kits in a crawl space up here, and I'm sure the heat is no good for them. I decided to pull them out. Well, it turns out that I did not have 1 box, but 3 !!

A few of the kits I only had the vaguest memory of, and most I didn't remember at all. 😮 In the end my stash grew my 1/3!  I'm going to have to build faster.

IMG_2555.jpg.d75d06674b22e7acecf21b079190f821.jpg

That is cool Kevin! It's like finding treasure when you go through things like that. Congrats on the find.

Nice one Mark! I'd love to have something like that in 1/72 scale....

On 5/20/2018 at 1:11 PM, RGronovius said:

Got a Revell Danica Patrick Aspen Dental NASCAR. Closeout store had them for $9.99 and I used a 15% off coupon. Great deal for a $24 kit.

I love that Batmobile Mark. I'd kill for one!

Re: the Batmobile - keep an eye on CultTVMan web store. He gets them in semi regularly - http://www.culttvmanshop.com/

He even has a sign up for his newsletter of new and restocks. He doesn't send it out a lot, so it's not like a bother.

Mark: cool truck. Looking fwd to its build.

Got resin wheels on order.  The issue is the PE.  The rear deflector is PE and needs to be bend circular around the launcher.  I have issues with flat PE so this will be an adventure.

I did find the Batmobile on eBay for a decent price. My local Hobby Lobby has listed the Tamiya Gama Goat for $12.49 on clearance. I bought two. They were regularly $49.99 so it was 75% off.

• Like 2

The Israeli's actually used at least one of these on the Golans.  It had a HUGE set of binoculars mounted in the cargo bed. 

I could not resist buying the new Moebius 1/144 Discovery XD-1 from the great movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.  I read the recent issue review in FSM and went to my nearby HobbyTown USA to order one.  Many years ago, I acquired the Lunar Models resin kit version, which is still in its box because I was so disappointed with the poor detail.  The Moebius kit looks outstanding on my first impression from an open-box inspection.

Now that I think about it, I can display Discovery next to the 1/144 Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner I built last year for a size comparison.

Ed

• Like 1

I also picked up the Discovery at my LHS at 25% off of retail.

Debating on getting the interior kit with the pods.  Already built the Orion which is the same scale. 

21 hours ago, ewahl said:

I could not resist buying the new Moebius 1/144 Discovery XD-1 from the great movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.  I read the recent issue review in FSM and went to my nearby HobbyTown USA to order one.  Many years ago, I acquired the Lunar Models resin kit version, which is still in its box because I was so disappointed with the poor detail.  The Moebius kit looks outstanding on my first impression from an open-box inspection.

Now that I think about it, I can display Discovery next to the 1/144 Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner I built last year for a size comparison.

Ed

FYI and FWIW,  Lou Dalmasso, the guy behind Aztek Dummy vinyl masks, recently built the kit. He describes some hints and tips on his You Tube channel that may be of interest.   https://youtu.be/iqURrFH7Ntc

Kevin, thanks for the tip and link.

Rusty, while I would have loved a set of pods and cockpit detail behind the front window, such items are not in the kit.  All of the pod bay doors are separate pieces, so one or more doors could be left open and a tiny scratchbuilt interior could be added into the hollow sphere.  The front window is clear, so a basic cockpit interior could be added.  Figures, of course, would help in the cockpit also.  The two main pieces of the front sphere dry fit together so well that the seam was invisible; apply glue through the open inside.

The kit is engineered to provide almost all surface detail as separate pieces applied onto the propulsion and engine module to provide sharp details.  Moebius did this with their earlier Battlestar Galactica (TOS) kit, and the resulting look of the detail was excellent.  There are five different versions of the cargo modules attached to the spine, but there are a LOT of them.  The antenna array has very fine details to look accurate.

If you want an LED inside the sphere to illuminate the cockpit (and scratchbuilt pod bay, be prepared to get creative on the necessary wiring, battery location, and switch.

NOTE: As soon as you scratchbuild all the interior items for the cockpit and pod bay, someone will release an expensive accessory kit with all the needed items.  The PE aftermarket people will also be out there with items to "improve" the furnished kit details.

Ed

Yes, Ed, I would keep the main part of the Discover open as there are aftermarket parts on the way, as Phil indicates. But I would be very wary of MIM. They have an often used SOP of gladly taking your $$ for items they don't have yet.  In one case I was hearing from a sculptor who still had spaceship "XYZ" master while he was negotiating with  MIM, and all the while MIM had it on their site taking customers money. 

My personal practice, and the only way I'd deal with them  is that if I can't walk into MIM's store and pick something off the shelf, I'll go elsewhere.   Keep an eye on CultTVMan or SSM stores. Just my 2¢.

Edit: speaking of pods - http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Space-Pod--1144-Scale-from-Red-Planet_p_4094.html

Well, here I am more than a week later, but I'm finally posting what I got last weekend at IPMS and AMPS.

I'll start with the contents of the "Mystery Box" that is a feature in all our IPMS Distressed Kit Auctions.

There were a number of things in there....

First, some Japanese language books on the F-14 A Tomcat:

F-14_Books2C_Japanese_Language.jpg

Followed by a 1/72 scale F-14A Plus from Hasegawa in bags since the box had disintegrated:

Hasegawa_F-14A_Plus_.jpg

That model is intact, despite the missing box.

Next was an ancient 1/72 scale Frog kit of the Do-335:

Frog_Dornier_Do-335.jpg

Next was a box of ancient Pactra paints.... and yes, they are all still in usable condition!

Pactra_Paint_Set.jpg

Then there was a simple Revell snap together truck that we have used in our Make-n-Take program. I'm glad I got one of these, they are so cool:

Revell_Snap_Together_Pickup__.jpg

Next was a new release of the 1/72 scale Airfix B-25 C/D Mitchell:

Airfix_B-25_C_or_D_Mitchell.jpg

I'll be building that.

Along with that, I got a 1/48 scale Airfix P-51D Mustang:

Airfix_P-51D_Mustang_1-48.jpg

I'm entertaining bids for this, just please remember I'm unemployed and flat broke so try not to undercut me too much.

Another one on the sale block: this Dragon 1/35th scale Marder III late version:

Dragon_Marder_III_Ausf_M_1-35.jpg

I'm asking $65.00 or best offer...

I also got this Hasegawa 1/48 scale Tempest with the teardrop canopy:

Hasegawa_Typhoon_Mk_III_1-48.jpg

I'll let that one go for $20.00...

Another 1/35th scale kit: the Kinetic M-ATV:

Kinetic_M-ATV_1-35.jpg

I'd like at least $45.00 at the minimum for that one.

Next up is a 1/24 scale Tamiya F-1 racing car:

Tamiya_FW-11_Honda_F-1_.jpg

I'll take $20.00 for that one.

One other acquisition I got along with the Mystery Box at the Distressed Kit Auction is this compressor with regulator and moisture trap:

Hobby_Compressor_Moisture_Trap_n_Regulat

It works great! You can see the results in my Manufacturing Thread when I get them posted.

Finally at the AMPS meeting, I was given a special gift as a belated Christmas gift from our AMPS club leader since I can never come to the December AMPS Meeting and gift exchange. This 1/76 scale Airfix SAM-2 transport truck and launcher was from his own personal stash:

Airfix_SAM_2_Missile_Truck_2018.jpg

I had also gotten a 1/35th scale Hobby Boss Patriot Missile launching system as well, but that has been sold. I don't have a pic of that.

That's all I have for now. I'm thinking it will be the last until the Phoenix Nationals.....

" My personal practice, and the only way I'd deal with them  is that if I can't walk into MIM's store and pick something off the shelf, I'll go elsewhere. "

Funny how word gets around when you do someone wrong.  Karma?

On 7/4/2018 at 4:25 PM, Rusty White said:

" My personal practice, and the only way I'd deal with them  is that if I can't walk into MIM's store and pick something off the shelf, I'll go elsewhere. "

Funny how word gets around when you do someone wrong.  Karma?

Getting a little away from the thread, but they've had some questionably practices in the past.

I don't wanna dissuade anyone really. Things may go swimmingly for some, but I don't want to have to shake my head when someone in a forum complains "8 months and no order..." 

But to get back on Track, the one and only John Dennett came up with another bust that I just scored. KLAATU!!

klaatu.jpg.ee723f9b9129cb0c3888ca16f8bb8a8c.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Back and settled from the Nats, I had time to go thru my stuff. Because my interests are so narrow, and not really a huge part of IPMS draw, I never really come home with a lot - unlike my son (builds armor - where did I go wrong 😉 ) who had so much we had to UPS some of it home for him...

But I did get a few things. Rare Plane Detective announced on FB that he was coming with a bunch of Anigrand and Fantastic Plastic kits. That was my first stop in the Vendor Room. And then I goofed. I found a few kits of interest and said to myself I'll be back. Yeah famnous last words. When I got back those kits were gone. Duh!! But I did get a Viper from SciFi's  BSG prequel series Caprica -

IMG_2842.jpg.5e01e6e2d199d2443487e366410004a2.jpg

Then I had this "What if" Soviet vehicle, that I needed figures for to make a vignette. So my son found me figures -

IMG_2843.jpg.5ab5559c80808dce5d2e7222c14089d0.jpg

Then lo and behold there was a table just for me with horror and sci-fi kits. I found a kit of one of Japan's folklore creatures - The Kappa.

IMG_2841.jpg.4e169b5e5ed43bf5dc3e70d0d47c0a8b.jpg

Finally when I got home there was a box waiting for me from Kabuki Miniature Models and was a kickstarter based on GoT Mother of Dragons. This is a 1/8 scale mini...

IMG_2840.jpg.403858c4e889139f7c0245ff07a78a5a.jpg