The Haul, or what you've recently bought.

Guest PetrolGator

Well, technically Santa bought it for me, but since Santa and I use the same checking account it qualifies. For those who don't recognize it , it is a Paasche air eraser. Basically a tiny sand blaster. I am going to use it to soften the finish on some aluminum parts I am making.

I gotta get one of those. Model Monkey recommends it highly for use on his parts to smooth the surfaces.

They're not horribly expensive and this one is the "new improved" model. The media isn't cheap though. I just bought two 5 pound jars of Paasche blasting medium(one fine, one course) and they cost me $45 delivered from Amazon. But 5 pounds should last a while.

Edited by PeteJ

Thanks guys.

Those spacecraft look tempting. After seeing your last WIP, I may have to start collecting these.

They are. And with the genre so small with so few real space model builders, we could always use more modelers. :)

• 1 month later...

The mailman has been making stops with boxes the past few days. 
The first offering is the result of Aradia Miniatures Kickstarter campaign. eventually all these minis plus ones I didn't choose will be available on their site. Shipping is from Italy but as a customer for a few years, I've never had any problems with delivery. 
The minis were based on the  works from Dantes Inferno. Unlike other minis that are 1 or 2 parts, these come in many. So rather than opening the bag and taking a chance of losing parts, I decided to borrow images from the campaign. All these images are borrowed from Aradia in an effort as free advertising for them (and them not coming after me for using their pics)).  ;) 

Charon

aradia01a.jpg.227816f1ca1a5000e695e78f43dad548.jpg

The Gorgon

aradia02a.jpg.32a4ced6f832bc8f3c9b0de272d36bfd.jpg

Paolo & Francesca

aradia03a.jpg.dddf5ed204f702f4974939f06f67001e.jpg

Ulysses

aradia04.thumb.jpg.b52b958c065b119157e3e3c45a55859b.jpg

Some of the lesser know people are described on my page - https://kevtk.blogspot.com/2018/02/new.html

Leaving the Circles of Hell, I move on to a Galaxy Far away with Bandai's Blue Squadron X-Wing from Rogue 1. I loved Rogue 1 and it moved to one of my top 3 star wars movies. Thanks for looking.

IMG_2177.jpg.af5590f2829de30b32dc2e1279971afc.jpg

Those are some awesome scores Kevin! They will be fun to watch.

Well, the final Christmas presents finally arrived and here they are.

I had some Christmas money to spend so I went to Harbor Freight and picked up the following. I gotta go back for more:

Tools_IV.JPG

I had received an Amazon Gift Card so I ordered these which arrived a couple days ago:

One of three versions of M-109's I wanted:

Revell_M-109_G.jpg

I'd been looking for one of these for a couple years; there are two in this box:

Hasegawa_Mitsubishi_F-2A_.jpg

I've already started one of the Mitsubishis.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently acquired a 1/48 Nichimo Ki-45 Nick on Ebay for $12. I built one back when they first came out in 1979. I always like the kit and when I saw one on Ebay at a bargin price, I grabbed it up.

ncm03503_0.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last Sunday I was at the Pasadena Valleycon and was able to win the following raffle prizes:

One of the last prizes available near the end of the raffle so I grabbed it:

AMT_1969_Chevelle.jpg

Since George had model railroading going on, he added some railroad accessories to the raffle:

Walthers_4-Unit_Apartment_Building.jpg

Walthers_Mission_Style_Bungalow.jpg

Walthers_Liberty_Bank_and_Trust.jpg

Now I have enough buildings to build a small town! LOL!

I spent the rest of my birthday money in the vendor room but was only able to buy these two models:

Modelcollect_T-80UM1_Main_Battle_Tank.jp

Mobius_Models_Frazetta_Death_Dealer_IV.j

Now that I have that second Death Dealer, I can start building that one and preserve my San Diego Comicon exclusive!

The next day, I found this package in my mailbox from James:

Matchbox_Noorduyn_Norseman.jpg

Thanks James! Now to figure out what version to do. Man, I want two more now! LOL!

Finally, my AMPS club met at Brookhurst Hobbies where I got to use my Brookhurst Hobbies Gift Card to help purchase this:

Modelcollect_Soviet_Army_MAZ_7911_Heavy_

Well, that's it for now. I'll be busy for awhile just working on some of these. I did start some of them; you'll see them in the "Maddog Manufacturing" Thread.

Okay, now back to the bench.....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to not buy a kit unless I finish a kit. That hasn't really been working, but its the thought that counts. Right?  Saw this being released and I was like, yeah, heck yeah. Battleship Yamato Type 94 46cm Main Turret in 1/200.

DSC_0436.JPG

• Like 1

In Dragon USA online's "Gone in a flash sale" (50% off all in stock items) last Wednesday, I got the 1/35 scale Dragon IDF M60 w/ERA kit for $24, $31 delivered. It is normally a $70 kit but was on special for $48 so I got it for half that. I believe it includes everything to build a regular Slick 60 as used by the US Army.

l_DRA3581.jpg

• Like 1

I also took advantage of the Flash sale and picked up Dragon's El Alamein Sherman, another of Platz's T-33s and a set of figures (ordered 2 but the other must have been out of stock).

Got all that for about half of what the Sherman retails for. 

• Like 1

Found an interesting kit in the clearance aisle of Hobby Lobby today. Originally $27.99, it was $7.50. The Revell 1/144 White Knight Two and Spaceship Two.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really need to take a break from kit shopping. But here are 3 of my latest. Anyone who knows me, knows I loved the weird and bizarre in avaition. So when I saw the Kalinin K12 reviewed in a recent SAMI I had to have it.  Then I went back to my horror and fantasy busts with Peter Cushing as Baron Von Frankenstein, and Pan from Pans Labyrinth. Thanks for looking.

IMG_2332.jpg.d4c495a554cf5e2b9b60a2a08007244e.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg.9de00190d1f1f2f156f8c92a578dcf16.jpgIMG_2333.jpg.38c3e39c280c5a92cf3f8d1ce69c5e64.jpg

Nice scores Kevin! I agree with Rusty, that camouflage on that Russian bird is most intriguing. I'd love to know more about that too.

Okay, here are some of my acquisitions from the past couple weeks.

First is this one, given to me by a friend who got it from his next door neighbor:

Revell_Space_Shuttle_with_Launch_Tower.j

That has since been sold. Made a pretty penny off it.

Next are two deals I got from Squadron, both were gotten for between 60 and 75 percent off:

Hobby_Boss_Eurocopter_HAP_Tigre.jpg

Hobby_Boss_German_Panzerlok_Br-57_Locomo

I've already started both of these. The locomotive is already at the painting stage.

Last is a gift I got from a friend and fellow AMPS member:

Value_Gear_Truck_Loads_I.jpg

That's probably gonna be it for awhile; I need to save up for Phoenix. I have plenty to keep me busy for awhile anyway.

• Like 1

On a shopping spree once again(just got my bonus).  Ordered a Fine molds Kit and PE(includes the rigging) from Japan.  The reviews on this were good, should not have any difficulty wit the build.  This plane you do not see many builds.

image.png.c3014d6805eb9be9aed28d34396db056.png

image.png.948d26e74b823818dda3126cc94c3701.png

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 12:47 PM, Rusty White said:

I am far more interested in the developmental history of that camouflage scheme!  Where and how on Earth did they come with that design??

Evidently it was painted with those feathers for its reveal at a parade in 1937. It was called the Firebird after a A russian folk tale similar to the Phoenix bird stories, hence the feathers. The decals make it look a lot nice than the paint job it was given in the field. ;)

k12-4.jpg

It never occurred to me that those patterns were supposed to be feathers, even in the cleaner looking box art.  I love the history behind stuff like this.  The history of naval camouflage patterns in the second world war is absolutely fascinating.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's my latest acquisitions. I'll start with this model won by someone else in an online contest. The winner requested that it be sent to me:

Modelcollect_BMP-3_with_Cage_Armor.jpg

When I opened the box, I saw a ton of P/E. Everyone I showed this to asked me "Who'd you cheese off to get that?" or words to that effect! LOL!

Then, after a tough and trying couple days of preparatory procedures before my treatments begin, I decided I needed to lift myself out of my funk. What better way than to go buy some more models.

These are the models I bought myself, starting with these two Roden kits that have been on my list for awhile:

Roden_Vauxhall_D_Ambulance.jpg

Roden_BL_8-inch_Howitzer.jpg

I also bought these two models....

A 1/72 scale UH-60 that will be done in Australian markings:

Italeri_UH-60_Blackhawk_Night_Raid.jpg

and a 1/72 scale F-16 which will be done in Italian markings:

Italeri_F-16_Fighting_Falcon.jpg

Finally, at my IPMS OC Build Night meeting; I won this in the raffle:

Polar_Lights_Batmobile.jpg

You can see that it includes resin figure of Batman and Robin. That's gonna be fun.

I also purchased a number of paints, putties and other supplies, but the Gallery I use keeps freezing up whenever I try uploading any other pics. I'm wondering how I'm going to upload all my works in progress now.

Anyway, thanks for looking in. Some of these will be started fairly soon so stay tuned....

• Like 1

Got a Revell Danica Patrick Aspen Dental NASCAR. Closeout store had them for $9.99 and I used a 15% off coupon. Great deal for a $24 kit.

I love that Batmobile Mark. I'd kill for one!

• Like 1