The Haul, or what you've recently bought.

Guest PetrolGator

Okay, last Saturday I went down to the San Diego Model Contest at Gillespie Field. It was a great show with a lot of incredible models on the tables. The competition was too stiff for me to place, but I did manage to score some great models.

I'll start with the three models I purchased from Rare Plane Detective. This first one is a 1/72 scale Monogram Boeing 737. It might be a re-pop of the old Aurora kit; I'll have to pull the Aurora kit down to see. Anyway, this one might make it to my workbench fairly soon:

Monogram_Boeing_737.jpg

Next is an Airfix 1/72 scale Hawker Siddley 125 Dominie. I have one already 3/4 assembled. I couldn't finish it because the landing gear sprue just disappeared. Now I can use the landing gear from this one. I might even build this second one as a wheels-up aircraft:

Airfix_Hawker_Siddely_125_Dominie.jpg

Finally an aircraft model I hadn't known existed. I had to get this 1/72 scale Airfix Jetstream as well for my US Air Force:

Airfix_Jetstream.jpg

Now for my raffle prizes. This first one will be donated to my Orange County club for next year's Fullerton County Airport Days Make-n-Take:

AMT_Naboo_Starfighter.jpg

Next I got this 1/24 scale car from Mobius Models:

Mobius_Models_1961_Pontiac_Ventura.jpg

Not sure whether to build or sell it. If I get a big enough offer, I'll sell it.

Finally, I managed to also win one of the 'grand prizes' at the end of the raffle. This is the 1/32 scale Kitty Hawk T-28 Trojan:

Kitty_HawkT-282_Trojan_.jpg

This one is definitely going on the sale pile. Anyone wanting to make an offer feel free. Just be forewarned: the price tag is still on this so I know how much these go for. Only serious offers will be considered for both of the above.

Okay, that's all my acquisitions I have for now. Time to get a few of these started soon; once I can clear my workbench. Thanks all for looking in.

Hey Duke, Nice grab at the model show. The smaller jets look awesome, especially since they're in the "Scale of Kings." LOL ;)

Also congrats on all the raffle wins. WOW. In all the shows I've attended over the years I think I won once - and it was a 1:32 ejection seat. :unsure:

Have no room for 1:32 unless I just built the seat. LOL

• Like 1

LOL! Thanks Kevin! I also have no room for 1/32 scale. That's why that Trojan is going up on the sale block. I only build in the "scale of Kings"; to me it is the perfect scale, especially since it also covers armor and vehicles!

On Saturday I went to my IPMS Orange County E-board meeting which is held in Military Hobbies. Afterward, I picked up the following along with some paints:

Atlantic_Models_DC-9_Hughes_Airwest.jpg

Roden_Vauxhall_D_Staff_Car.jpg

They are both in 1/72 scale.

Later on, a friend of mine picked up this one for me at another hobby shop:

Hobby_Boss_Merkava_IV_Tank.jpg

A couple of these have already been started, you can see them in the "Maddog Manufacturing" Thread. Feel free to check them out with all the other models I've been working on.

• Like 1

I have a friend in OC, and has never mentioned Military Hobbies. I wonder if he knows about it ? (he's new back to the hobby). Where is it and I'll pass it on.

Nice score by the way. I only wished I had a local store near me...

Thanks Kevin. Military Hobbies is located on Lincoln at Glassell in Orange, I think. That or Anaheim. It's in a small strip mall. We always hold our IPMS E-board meetings there. I believe he can get the address at our IPMS OC website. He's welcome to attend our meetings too if he likes.

• Like 1

Last Friday we had our semi-annual Distressed Kit Auction at my IPMS Orange County Club meeting. You bid on kits that could be brand new, some still sealed to started kits, some with missing parts and sometimes nothing but a box of parts. Of course, we do make it clear what we sell before we first start the bidding. Other things like book sets, compressors, tools and even airbrushes have been auctioned of there too. It's one of two auctions for the year and our biggest money maker for the club.

One of the most popular things that is bid on is the Mystery Box. Our member Darnell always builds that one for us. He fills it with all manner of kits and other items that sometimes amount to well over $120.00 worth of goodies. This time, I won the Mystery Box.

Before I show the contents of that which I won; here are three kits I got from another friend at the previous AMPS meeting. This first one is Tamiya's 1/72 scale Bell X-1:

Tamiya_USAF_Bell_X-1.jpg

Next is one of two models that were started; one by him and one by his daughter. The first of these two is the Hasegawa 1/72 scale Harrier Mk 5:

Hasegawa_Harrier_GR_Mk_5.jpg

Followed by the Revell 1/72 scale RF-4E Phantom II Tigermeet plane:

Revell_RF-4E_Phantom_Tigermeet.jpg

Now, at the Auction, I won a set of tools consisting of a sprue cutter and an airbrush stand mounted on a metal tray:

Model_Tools_II.jpg

I've been really needing that.

Next I won two boxes of Polly 'S' acrylics that were stacked three high inside the boxes:

2_Boxes_Polly_S_Paints.jpg

All of them are still good. I did offer anyone a chance to buy any bottles off me for a buck each once I got them. Later I won two boxes of Testor's Enamel paints; one larger box of Model Master colors stacked two high, and a smaller box of the little square bottle paints:

2_Boxes_Testors_Enamels.jpg

You can see a couple Floquill colors in those enamels as well.

One other model set I got was this old AMT Diorama set. One fellow member needed the PZ IV inside for the tracks and all for a project he's doing so I let him have them. Everything else is inside:

AMT_WWII_Armored_Assault_Dio_Set.jpg

Finally, the model contents of the Mystery Box:

First off, it contained a 1/35th scale AS-90 British Self Propelled Gun that I sold to my friend Carlos before I could get these pics. The rest of the models are as follows:

From smallest to largest, we start with the dual kit Air Combat Legends Set from Accurate Miniatures in 1/72 scale:

Accurate_Miniatures_Air_Combat_Legends.j

Next is the Hasegawa 1/72 scale UH-60A Blackhawk helicopter:

Hasegawa_UH-60A_BlackHawk_Helicopter.jpg

And there is this Minicraft 1/72 scale PB4Y USN aircraft that I plan to build since it was the aircraft featured in the book "I Took the Sky Road":

Minicraft_PB4Y-1_USN_ASW_Sea_Search.jpg

The final 1/72 scale aircraft is this new Airfix Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress:

Airfix_Boeing_B-17G_Flying_Fortress.jpg

Moving up, I had two 1/48 scale aircraft; both British. The first one is this Academy Spitfire Mk.XIV:

Academy_1-48_Spitfire_Mk_XIVc.jpg

Followed by this Tamiya 1/48 scale DeHavilland Mosquito:

Tamiya_1-48_DeHavilland_MosquitoB_Mk_IV.

Along with this Mosquito came not one, but two; Profile booklets on this plane:

2_Profile_Books_DeHavilland_Mosquito.jpg

And finally, the largest model in the box: a 21st Century Toys 1/32 scale F-4U Corsair:

20th_Century_Toys_1-32_F4U-1A-D_Corsair.

Okay, that's all the acquisitions I was able to pick up on Friday night. It's going to be a good year. BTW, the 1/48 and 1/32 scale aircraft are going up for sale. Feel free to make an offer if interested.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 1

Here is a new kit I got from a friend as a gift so that I could join his Star Wars Group Build on another Forums:

Revell_Imperial_Star_Destroyer.jpg

It includes lighting and three batteries! This is gonna be fun!

I'll be jumping on this soon. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

My mailman has been busy again - - Harry!

006.JPG

Next is another original creation from Skink Haunt. He calls it Stalk Eyed Flies! Below is the box art

001.JPG

IIRC I saw this on SAMI. I'm after the NASA markings

005.JPG

Since I got C-47 decals, now I needed a C-47, thanks Mega Hobby -

002.JPG

While I was at Mega Hobby, I saw they had Mobius' Death Dealer in the Whats News section - so -

003.JPG

Finally I had to replace my Vallejo clear coats which seemed to have gone bad in the bottle -

004.JPG

Edited by Roktman

Rusty has some great questions; I'd also like to know before I make an investment in such products.

I do love all your acquisitions; I am especially jealous that you got the Death Dealer. That is such an awesome model! I know someone else who is doing that one too and he lit up the eyes with red filaments that glow! That is something I want to do as well when I get that kit!

Excellent scores Kevin!

How long do you estimate that the Vallejo clear coats were in the bottles? I never heard anyone mention acrylics having a shelf life. Also, is this common among acrylics?

I don't know how long they were in a store, but I had the bottles prolly less than 2 years - most likely a little more than a year. Gone bad, all 3 types (Flat Satin Gloss) dried as if I had applied a diluted white wash. It didn't matter if I applied the clear coat with an a/b or hand brush.

I prolly have about 100+ other Vallejo bottles, and haven't found one other that "went bad". The paint rack is on the wall to the right and all but the bottom 3 rows are Vallejo paints -

005.JPG

My hobby room is in the attic and is minimally climate controlled. So winters could be in the mid 50s and summers in the mid 90s (hmm, AC stays on and prolly stays more like high 70s/low 80s) while I'm not in there. Could the temps swings have aged the clear coats? The temp swings didn't affect the clear coats once sprayed on the models, and the temps swings didn't affect the regular paints.

All in all it could just have been a bad batch. There's nothing that I can find on the Vallejo site, but then again their site is very "wordy."

In the end when buying the new bottles, you get more (larger bottle), the bottle is now opaque (could the light thru the transparent bottle have aged it?) and the label has changed (while the wording essentially stayed the same). So time will tell.

Will I say not to buy it? No. I really love the Vallejo range. HTH

Rusty has some great questions; I'd also like to know before I make an investment in such products.

I do love all your acquisitions; I am especially jealous that you got the Death Dealer. That is such an awesome model! I know someone else who is doing that one too and he lit up the eyes with red filaments that glow! That is something I want to do as well when I get that kit!

Excellent scores Kevin!

Thanks re: the Death Dealer. I heard word of it on the various YouTube modeling channels (being semi-disabled I spend way to much time in front of the computer) ;) There is also a guy on there that is building one. I think it was him that mentions the kit was sculpted by the terrific Yeagher.

He's not doing it "live" but he shows the results after parts are glued. He too is lighting the eyes. So - peer pressure - I may *have* to do the same. LOL

He did advise that the horse does need some clamps and filler to complete. But building short run resin models I not afraid of clamps and filler. :lol:

That's interesting about the clear coat paints shelf life. I had the same thing happen to an enamel based clear coat (Model Master) some time back. I think this is a common problem among all paints (aging). We don't notice it on colors due to the dyes used, but we see it on clear coat for the opposite reason (no dyes). I used my clouded enamel based clear coat anyway assuming I was looking through about a million coats (still virtually clear) peering through the bottle, so why would it show on a couple of micro thin airbrushed coat(s)? Never had any problems with the finish, even years after application. My advice? Since I don't use them, I have little experience with acrylics. Do what your experience suggests. Sounds like an interesting subject for a new thread.

• Like 1

Picked up one of Revell's Kylo Ren shuttles at Hobby Lobby from the clearance aisle. They used to run for about $35-40, but this one was marked at $10.80. Too hard to pass up.

• Like 1

Couple other good scores at a Goodwill store. Found a Moebuis Ironman Mark III kit for $1.99 and a 1/48 scale Monogram B-26 Marauder for $3.99

The Ironman kit was missing the instructions, but I was able to source a set that are good enough to build it. It had construction done to it and virtually all parts were loose, but nothing was glued and it was complete and all parts came apart easily.

The B-26 box was in rough shape, and I was unsure of the status of the contents, but after getting it home, it is complete and untouched. It's headed for eBay.

Edited by RGronovius
  • Like 2

Nice scores Robin!! I always try to check in at my local Goodwill store for things like this. So far, no joy.

I purchased these some time ago. These were bought for a fictional war game I will be putting on in October.

First is these RF-8 GAZ 98K Aerosans: I bought 4:

ACE_Aerosan_RF-8_GAZ-98K.jpg

Then I bought three of these NKL 16/41 Aerosans:

ACE_Aerosan_NKL_16-40.jpg

On or two may be modified into something that never was, but it's going to be fun.

I've already started a couple of them which can be seen in the Maddog Manufacturing Thread. Stay tuned for more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good documentation is essential to the completion of an accurate model. After ordering the model, I bought the documentation. The model arrived today. The plan is to make an in-depth study of the prototype until the snow flies, then apply the accumulated knowledge to the building of the model. The prototype should, by then, display authentic weathering.

post-1092-0-21359800-1500692498_thumb.jpg

post-1092-0-53572500-1500692521_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Brag away Mark, that is worth the horn blowing. Nice score!

Now I finally have some time to post what I got recently. I attended the San Diego Comicon a couple weekends ago where I got to see a ton of fantastic stuff. Thanks to a bonus I got on a job just before Comicon; I was able to pickup some great new models.

I'll start first with the tools I got form one of the artist booths: some fine tipped brushes. They were cheaper than at an art store. The guy threw in the ink for free:

Tools_III.JPG

Next I went to the Blue Fin booth where they had a ton of Gundam and Star Wars models. They were also showing the new 1/72 scale Millennium Falcon that Bandai is bringing out soon. I picked up these three; all in 1/72 scale:

Bandai_X-wing_Fighter.jpg

Bandai_A-wing_Fighter.jpg

Bandai_TIE_Striker.jpg

Finally, I went to the Mobius Models booth where I was able to pick up my best acquisition at this Comicon.

This is the Mobius Models Comicon Exclusive Limited Signature Edition Signed model of Frazetta's Death Dealer:

Mobius_Models_Frazetta_Death_Dealer_I.jp

The image you see is the sleeve that covers the box that declares this a limited Signature Edition. On the back is the three signatures of Frank Frazetta Jr.; Jeff Yagher, the sculptor who created this model; and Frank Winspur, the President of Mobius Models. This also has the Official Comicon 2017 Exclusive seal on it. I bought Number 29 of only 120 of these signature kits:

Mobius_Models_Frazetta_Death_Dealer_II.j

This model also came with the following limited edition pin:

Mobius_Models_Frazetta_Death_Dealer_III.

Oh yeah, I'm thrilled with this haul from Comicon! I'll probably put a halt to my spending for awhile now; I need to focus on getting some more models finished.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 1

Checking out my booty from the latest trip to the Nationals. Being my likes are so narrow, I didn't buy any kits myself. But I did pick up a few tools -

001.JPG

From Top to bottom - red box is a razor saw from UMM, then the next two are a diamond bit file and then a seam scraper from Volks. Below that is a flexible straight edge for scratching seam lines from UMM. Below that is a handle that came with the set of glue applicators (to the right), and some thin CA glue above that. All from Glue Looper. The two items on the left are 2 sable brushes - also from Volks.

During the Real Space Modelers Seminar, which doubles as a Meet and Greet of the members of the Yahoo Space Modelers Group, they have a grab bag giveaway at the end of the meeting. My son won the Airfix LEM and astronauts. But since he only builds armor, he gave them to me -

002.JPG

Then another man sitting next to me won the Revell Apollo Soyuz Link Up in 1:96 scale. He turns to me and says he already has it, and hands the kit to me. I'm a scale slave, that's not my scale, but as it's a gift I will build it.

005.JPG

Finally the mailman dropped off two packages. One before I left and 1 after, The before box is the Galaxy Quest Shuttle from JPG Casting. It comes complete with Berellium spheres, and a base. I have an idea for base and will create something different -

003.JPG

Finally my good friend Paul Gill, from Gillman Products held the kit for me mailing it the day before I came home, so it wouldn't be sitting around unattended in front of my house. It's Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice! I comes complete with a resin copy off the Book for the Recently Deceased. Pretty cool!

004.JPG

Time to get building again! Thanks for looking.

Thanks guys. I'm actually surprised the post went thru. I tried to post about 3 or 4 times, and each time the process timed out. So I gave up. :smiley5:

Agreed about Gillman. Paul is a good guy as is sculptor Mark Van Tine. Tho Mark only did the base of Beetle juice this time. Paul's a usual staple at both WF and JF. Nice, friendly and BIG guy. can't miss him. ;)

The feast continued. Having forgotten, the mail man delivered a box from Fantastic Plastic. As a guy with a young son, I filled up on my share of kids movies - and not shy to admit that some are pretty good. ;) One was the Incredibles, about a retired superhero father of a "supers" and comes out of retirement with the help of his family and fellow super "Frozone" to save a city.

Meanwhile at the villians lair, his henchmen had these pretty cool looking Velocipods to get around. This is the model.

001.JPG

Now it's really time to get building. Jersey Fest is just around the corner... ;)

• 1 month later...

This is something I acquired, but it is not mine to keep. This is a commission build that a friend has asked me to detail out and paint:

WIP_Shuttle_Commission_Build_I.jpg

He wants it to look well used as if it had been shot into space a number of times.

Notice the 1/72 scale C-118 just below it. That will give you an idea of how large this futuristic shuttle is. You'll also notice where certain places are open on this. That is where some working electronics will be installed later.

I'm not sure whether he will allow me to post progress pics of this, but once it is done I will post that part of it that I did. He plans on using this as a display model to show what his company does for movies and/or TV. There are also plans to turn it into a kit of some sort to sell to the general public as well.

I'm going to have fun playing with this!

• Like 1