The Haul, or what you've recently bought.

Guest PetrolGator

Okay, here's quite a haul I managed to get over the past few weeks. These first models I got were from Tim Kirkland representing the Spartanburg Scale Modelers Distribution Company.

This is what I bought from them; these are all in 1/72 scale:

AZ Models AH-1G Huey Cobra Early:

AZ_Models_AH-1G_Early_Cobra.jpg

Hasegawa AH-1S Huey Cobra:

Hasegawa_AH-1S_Cobra.jpg

Hasegawa Mitsubishi T-2:

Hasegawa_Mitsubishi_T-2_.jpg

Heller SAAB J.32 Lansen:

Heller_J_32_Lansen.jpg

Hobby Boss F-15E Strike Eagle:

Hobby_Boss_F-15E_Strike_Eagle.jpg

Trumpeter BAe Lightning F.1A/F.2:

Trumpeter_Lightning_F1A.jpg

Trumpeter BAe Lightning F.6/F.2A:

Trumpeter_Lightning_F6.jpg

These next acquisitions are what I purchased at the Pasadena Valleycon from the local vendors.

These tools:

2017_Valleycon_Tools_.jpg

This next one is a partially started Chinese War Junk I got for $5.00:

Lindberg_Chinese_War_Junk_.jpg

Another very cheap model was this Military Wheels 1/72 scale Russian Fuel truck I got for $3.00:

Military_Wheels_Russian_Fuel_Truck.jpg

Late on I won these in the raffle:

Pegasus T-800 Endoskeletons from Terminator II:

Pegasus_T-800_Endoskeletons.jpg

Dragon 1/72 scale SdKfz 263 Funkspahwagen 8-rad:

Dragon_Sd_Kfz_263.jpg

That's all I got so far. The next things to post will be my prizes from CTA III. I might possibly have some additional acquisitions for my birthday too, but we'll see.

Okay now, back to the bench.....

Nice. The War Junk could be modified into Mr. Kim's flying restaurant from the 5th Element. :D

Rlvr9QY.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent link! I might have to pass as I don't think I could do all that stunning detail. We'll see; I have some time to think about it.

Thanks again for the link. That guy is truly a talented master!

• Like 1

Excellent link! I might have to pass as I don't think I could do all that stunning detail. We'll see; I have some time to think about it.

Thanks again for the link. That guy is truly a talented master!

No worries. :smiley2: As I looked at Mr. Kim's boat link again, the junk shape was a little off anyway. ;)

The RPF is a good place to lurk. There are often SFX guys that work in films and such, hang out there and build stuff for their own collections.

It is amazing. If you have time, checkout the Studio Scale section - WOW.

Ok guys sorry for bringing this off topic. I'll bring it back on topic by showing these latest busts. Two are from American Werewolf in London, and the 3rd is an Alien. You can never have enuff alien kits. ;)

011.JPG

Edited by Roktman

On the Modeler's Alliance Forums they ran a Call to Arms Campaign over the course of four months time. They call Group Builds 'Campaigns' over there. This particular campaign was a fund raiser though to raise funds for the American Cancer Society. One could only participate by paying a donation of $10.00 minimum for each model you wanted to build for the Call to Arms campaign. Higher donations were also welcome of course. Since I have cancer, I was asked to be the patron, or 'face' of the campaign as a way of personalizing this and motivating others to participate more. The organizers of this campaign arranged for donations of prizes from companies and fellow modelers that were donated to the Forums to be awarded to those campaign participants who wished to be considered for a prize. There was easily enough prizes for everyone who participated. Finally, this Call to Arms campaign was able to raise just over $1300.00 USD; all of which went to the American Cancer Society to help them in their fight against cancer.

Now that it is over, the prizes have been distributed. Two of my friends and fellow modelers on Modeler's Alliance; Lawrence and Warren, were kind enough to pass on their prizes to me in honor of my position as 'patron' of the campaign. I was honored and touch deeply by their kindness and generosity.

Warren's prize was an Italeri Opel Maltier in 1/35th scale:

CTA_Prize_Italeri_Opel_Maultier.jpg

After discussing it with him, he welcomed my choice of selling this kit and using the funds to purchase something else in my own preferred scale. He was thrilled that it would help me acquire something more suitable for my collection.

From Lawrence I received some Gator Grip Glue from Kenny Loup. You can see that Kenny sent a few extra goodies as well; a tool holder for my sprue cutters and a ton of Mardi Gras beads from that recent celebration. Thanks Kenny!

Gator_Grip_Glue_CTA_Prize.jpg

Finally, my own prize arrived a day ago from Badger Airbrushes. This is the Badger Sotar brush that I will be using as my fine-tipped brush for fine work:

Badger_Airbrush_CTA_Prize.jpg

Overall it was an honor and a pleasure to participate in this campaign to help fight cancer. I am thrilled to have been a part of such an honorable endeavor.

Than you all for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just this past weekend I went to a large tabletop wargame convention called Kingdom Con in San Diego. It was great that I'd gotten paid just before it. While there wasn't too much for a model builder there, I did manage to score some great new stuff between playing a number of table top war games.

I'll start with a box of models I bought from the guy who started this Con way back when. He was selling them along with a ton of other games and gaming pieces in the Friday Night Flea Market that was only on Friday night. I asked how much and he said make an offer so I offered $65.00 for the box.

This is what I got:

Aurora Munitions Carrier and 8" Gun in 1/35th scale:

Aurora_Munitions_Carrier_and_Gun.jpg

It was already "severely" started (as we say in my IPMS club) but it had a great little pamphlet of all the Aurora 1/35th scale tanks in it:

Aurora_Munitions_Carrier_InsideBox.jpg

Hobby Boss 1/48 scale Russian T-24 tank:

Hobby_Boss_1_48_T_34_76_Tank.jpg

This was 'very' started too but I'll probably finish it and give it to a friend who plays Bolt Action games. This scale is perfect for them.

Another 1/48 scale Hobby Boss tank, this time a Sherman:

Hobby_Boss_1_48_M4_Sherman_Tank.jpg

This was also very started and it also had a little extra something inside:

Hobby_Boss_Sherman_Extras_.jpg

I'm still trying to determine what that large decal sheet goes to. All it says is Williams Bros. on it; no scale or subject. This Sherman will also go to my Bolt Action friend.

Moving on, I also got a good number of aircraft, all in my scale...

A Monogram Snap Tite A-10 Warthog that will be going to my clubs Make-n-Take at the Fullerton Airport in two weeks:

Monogram_Snap_Tite_A_10_Warthog.jpg

An Ancient MPC Profile Series kit of the OS-2 Kingfisher:

MPC_OS_2U_Kingfisher_.jpg

Another ancient kit, this time the Matchbox P-70 Nightfighter:

Matchbox_P_70_Nightfighter.jpg

I built one of these as a wee lad of 8. I'll see if I can do better now....

A few Hasegawa kits, starting with this P-51 Nose Art plane:

Hasegawa_P_51D_Mustang_Nose_Art_I.jpg

Another one, this one being a Hawker Harrier:

Hasegawa_Hawker_Harrier_I.jpg

And another Hasegawa kit: an F-14A Tomcat:

Hasegawa_F_14_Tomcat_I.jpg

The box was damaged, but everything inside was intact and still in the poly bags.

Finally there is this Sci-Fi kit of The War of the Worlds. It's the special edition kit with the plated Martian ships:

Pegasus_War_of_the_Worlds.jpg

The box was damaged but again, everything is still inside.

In addition to these kits, I also bought some reference books from him:

Ref_Books_I.jpg

Later on, while wandering through the vendor room, I picked up a few more things.

Here's a cutting mat I got for $12.00:

Warmachine_Cutting_Mat.jpg

Later I found another booth selling some pre-cut wooden gaming boxes. They were also selling these for $25.00, so I picked one up:

Paint_Rack_I.jpg

I should have picked up two. They contain 'clips' that allow you to fasten two together side-by-side. This really helped clear some space on my workbench:

Paint_Rack_II.jpg

They also sell racks with smaller holes for Vallejo type paints too.

I got a paintbrush too, but didn't shoot a pic of it.

Well, that's about all I have for now. It'll probably be my last for awhile unless I get more work. Until then, I certainly do have a lot to work on.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 1

I really gotta stop buying... :lol:

This time around, with the upcoming release of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, I had to pick up Fantastic Plastic's Milano. It has a few problems, but it's the only Milano around...

001.JPG

Bandai's Y Wing -

001.JPG

Doesn't everyone need a few bottles of slime? Will come in handy for an upcoming dio...

002.JPG

A new "discovered" (by me) miniatures site featuring this possible Ma.K entry - in 1:35 scale

001.JPG

A closeup - Why do many of the vehicle operators in these Dystopian worlds seem to be women? ;)

002.JPG

This just lends itself to an interesting diorama.

• Like 1

Great scores Kevin! Man, I'd love to have one of those Milanos in plastic. What a cool ship! Enjoy the Y-wing too.That Mak K kit looks interesting too. As for always being women, well, that's equality for you!

Okay, now for what I got....

This past weekend at Hobby Day, I got a very late Christmas present from a friend and fellow IPMS club member:

IBG_Models_Type_89_Japanese_Tank.jpg

This has link and length tracks on this tiny tank! I might be starting this very soon.

This past week, I helped out a friend of mine from my church who was stuck at home recovering from surgery. They had to remove one of his kidneys since there was a cancerous mass in the middle of it. He had been sitting at home bored out of his gourd, so I took him to lunch. He mentioned how tough it was not being able to do anything. I suggested to him to try and build a model. He agreed, saying he used to do that as a kid. So, I took him to a local Hobby Shop where I bought him a couple easy models, some glue, and some tools. I also picked up this for myself:

Airfix_USAAF_Bomber_Supply_Set.jpg

We went back to his house where we went to work on our models. While I coached him on his, I also worked on mine. He loved it, so I invited him to my IPMS club meeting which was going to be a build night that night.

At the club meeting, I received another gift from a friend there:

IBG_Models_Type_89_Japanese_Medium_Tank_

These all were started. You can see the progress at the Maddog Manufacturing plant. Feel free to stop in for a short tour....

Rob, I don't believe so. I've built the Matchbox kits decades ago but this model looks to be a more refined molding. The small parts are more delicately molded as well.

That one was missing a few parts that I think fell out of the box when I opened it. I'll find some replacement parts somewhere.

This past week, I helped out a friend of mine from my church who was stuck at home recovering from surgery. They had to remove one of his kidneys since there was a cancerous mass in the middle of it. He had been sitting at home bored out of his gourd, so I took him to lunch. He mentioned how tough it was not being able to do anything. I suggested to him to try and build a model. He agreed, saying he used to do that as a kid. So, I took him to a local Hobby Shop where I bought him a couple easy models, some glue, and some tools. I also picked up this for myself:

(snip)

We went back to his house where we went to work on our models. While I coached him on his, I also worked on mine. He loved it, so I invited him to my IPMS club meeting which was going to be a build night that night.

At the club meeting, I received another gift from a friend there:

(snip)

These all were started. You can see the progress at the Maddog Manufacturing plant. Feel free to stop in for a short tour....

Sorry about your friend's health problem. Hopefully he'll improve soon. You're a good guy to take him out. Cool too that you may have gotten him back in to the hobby.

The mailman has been busy dropping boxes off at my place again this week.

First up is from Allen U. the Fantastic Plastic guy. He sells some of his older kits to raise $$ for his newest kit release. This time he had 4 or so on eBay, and I won this guy -

006.JPG

Paleocraft is releasing some of his older kit's. It's an Eelasmotherium, a cousin of the Wooley Rhino -

004.JPG

Getting back to Fantastic Plastic, here's a pre saucer style star-ship from Star Trek. I don't really build ST, b/c I'm tired of all the saucer ships. But this one I'll build. ;) Plus it's 1:144 so it'll fit in to the rest of my 1:144 rocket garden-

008.JPG

Finally who can't use another Star Wars kit? If you haven't seen the newest movie, this guy was the comic relief in Rogue One -

009.JPG

Edited by Roktman

Thank you guys for the comments about my friend. He is doing quite well and so far he is still enjoying the hobby. I've had a few things to add to this so I'll try to get them posted soon. Kevin, those are some great scores man! I look forward to seeing those getting built.

I just wish I remembered the Matchbox kit to give you an honest opinion, my apologies. I'll have to look into that.

I should have a couple of them Mark. Just take a photo of the sprues, and I should be able to tell.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to. I got this almost 90% assembled. I'm missing a few key parts which I'm hoping to find replacements for but so far nothing. I can shoot a pic of the assembled model if you like.

This is most of my haul from the R-11 Regional in St. Pete last weekend....

003%202_2.jpg

The Airfix P-40 B was the only thing I was actually looking for, and the 1/72 Helldiver, 1/48 He-112, and 1/72 F-14 I won in the raffle. The 1/32 P-6E Hawk is an expensive resin kit I was eyeing and was able to buy after a guy at the show bought my 1/32 Fisher F9F-8 Cougar from me. :smiley20: I did buy some metal landing gear not pictured here in addition to the 1/24 pe seat belts and the decals. The only down side is that when I got home with the DC-10 decals I found I have no DC-10 in the stash! :smiley9:

Had a very good time, actually came home with more money than I went to the show with (which was promptly spent at Disney this week! :o ), and bought more than I have at a show in a long time! :smiley4:

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

This is most of my haul from the R-11 Regional in St. Pete last weekend....

(snip)

The Airfix P-40 B was the only thing I was actually looking for, and the 1/72 Helldiver, 1/48 He-112, and 1/72 F-14 I won in the raffle. The 1/32 P-6E Hawk is an expensive resin kit I was eyeing and was able to buy after a guy at the show bought my 1/32 Fisher F9F-8 Cougar from me. :smiley20: I did buy some metal landing gear not pictured here in addition to the 1/24 pe seat belts and the decals. The only down side is that when I got home with the DC-10 decals I found I have no DC-10 in the stash! :smiley9:

Had a very good time, actually came home with more money than I went to the show with (which was promptly spent at Disney this week! :o ), and bought more than I have at a show in a long time! :smiley4:

Nice Haul!

Wow you're brave. I don't have the nerve for bi-planes, with the struts and rigging et al..

Don't let biplanes intimidate you Kev! There are some very good kits out there in 1/48 and 1/32, which are easier to work with since they're larger. Although the best ones (Wingnut Wings kits) are a bit pricey, they're nearly perfectly engineered and detailed so you get a lot of bang for your buck, as well as some top notch engineering to ease the build. Even the older Revell 1/28 biplanes are actually pretty easy to build, and their larger scale makes rigging easier. They're decently detailed, and if you do screw it up, you're not out a lot of money.

As for rigging, it's just another technique to learn and the only additional thing you need is patience. There's no need to do it all at once, and when you take it a section at a time and then relax, it goes more smoothly and you simply repeat the process til it's all done. There's even a couple of materials you can try ( strechable EZ LIne or ceramic Wonder Wire) that is easier than the traditional stretched sprue method.

If you have an interest in any of those subjects, stretch your modeling legs and give one a try!

• Like 1

Don't let biplanes intimidate you Kev! There are some very good kits out there in 1/48 and 1/32, which are easier to work with since they're larger. Although the best ones (Wingnut Wings kits) are a bit pricey, they're nearly perfectly engineered and detailed so you get a lot of bang for your buck, as well as some top notch engineering to ease the build. Even the older Revell 1/28 biplanes are actually pretty easy to build, and their larger scale makes rigging easier. They're decently detailed, and if you do screw it up, you're not out a lot of money.

As for rigging, it's just another technique to learn and the only additional thing you need is patience. There's no need to do it all at once, and when you take it a section at a time and then relax, it goes more smoothly and you simply repeat the process til it's all done. There's even a couple of materials you can try ( strechable EZ LIne or ceramic Wonder Wire) that is easier than the traditional stretched sprue method.

If you have an interest in any of those subjects, stretch your modeling legs and give one a try!

Thanks for that. To be honest I've always had a big attraction for the older civilian planes - maybe from the teens thru the 30s ( I think I was born in the wrong half of the 20th century). So yep, I think you've convinced me to give it a shot. :)