The Haul, or what you've recently bought.

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

Boys and girls(?)

This thread is intended for boasting, bragging, and general expression of modeling swagger.

What have you recently added? Tell us why we should track you down and liberate this Holy Grail from your possession.

Does a six pack of Fat Tire count? :smiley14:

chip

Naples, FL

I managed to aquire 2 items in the last year that I'd been searching for for years. The first was the Belcher Bits 1/48 resin conversion set to turn the Monogram B-29 into its later version, the big tailed, re-engined B-50. The other one was the ID vac 1/48 B-47 Stratofortress.

I've actually cut WAY back in my purchases, as I have almost every type in 1/48 that I want. New releases of old subjects don't really excite me, so I save money there by building the one in the stash. I have an extensive stash of resin and vacs that I can build or have built, menaing most of the "new" kits released the last 2yrs weren't really new to me! The new (planned) Kinetic 1/48 F2H-3/4 Banshee is a perfect example....I built my Collectaire resin one 2-3yrs ago!

There are some kits I'm looking forward to. Lonestar is releasing 2 resin kits in 1/48 in the next few months: an F9C Sparrowhawk and a Northrop A-17A Attacker. I'll get both of those to fill out my Golden Age 30s collection.

If (and when) anyone FINALLY releases a true 1/48 F-86A or E with a slatted NON 6-3 wing, I'll spring for those too! Other than that, there's not much I need that I don't already have!

GIL :smiley16:

Guest PetrolGator

I just bought a 1/350 USS Lexington 1942 + GMM PE + Alliance Modelworks Hatches/Doors. I'm not going to say what I spent on it, but needless to say the buy knows I got a deal.

Lex is going to be my first attempt at scratch detail. There's a lot of good in the kit, but MUCH can be added...

Most all of what I got I picked up at the Nationals. Some of them were rare kits, but they were all models I'd been looking for that I could not find in shops. One in particular that I didn't know existed was the Aurora 1/72 scale Jet Commander. I was real stoked to pick that one up for a song! That rocked!

I also have finally gotten a Super G Constellation in 1/72 scale. That is one aircraft I've never built and now it's time.

Aside from that, I have cut way back on my purchasing as well. I picked up about 20 models at the Nationals; that's enough to last me for at least eight more months; then I can dig into the current stash still in the closet.

Just had a business trip to the Tokyo area earlier September and managed to side-trip into the Akihabara district and a few of it's hobby shops. I did a little shopping for me, a Fine Molds Type 1 Chi-He medium tank (3300 yen) and a Hasegawa B787-8 (on sale for 1500 yen). I also picked up a Pit-Road JMSDF DD-162 Teruzuki for my Dad, who remembers (and has photos of) this ship and three other Japanese tin cans when they made their first port visit to New York in 1966. He has a few of the other ships of the series and was looking forward to this. If I remember to, I will scan and post one of the photos he took of the ships...

Guest PetrolGator

Added, via purchase:

• Trumpeter 1/350 USS Essex for $55 bucks.
  • Tamiya 1/350 USS Fletcher, 1942, for $20 bucks.

Added, via raffle:

• AFV Club U Boat Type VIIB (I'll be doing a build log of this simultaneously with my USS Maryland!)
  • Academy 1/72 F15E
  • Monogram F4D Skyray
  • Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 Zero (Have a resin motor too!)
  • Hobby Craft 1/35 M4A1 (Partially built. Lame. I'll make this my first tank since I don't know what I'm doing!)
  • Revell 1/48 Huey

I REALLY wanted the U-Boat... rest was just nice to have. I'll definitely build the Zero, with forum assistance I hope. :)

• Like 1

Back from the Modelpalooza show in Orlando...Good vendors area, though I didn't buy much myself. I bought a few resin doodads (B-26K Invader conversion and some flaps/stabs/rudders for WWII fighters), a book on the B-17, and some Braniff decals for my 727.

The best deal I got was a Hasagawa 1/32 TA-4J Skyhawk in a beat up old Minicraft box for $7! :smiley20: I then promptly went and spent $25 for a decal sheet for it :smiley29: ..But it'll be purdy when it's done! :D

Had a lot of fun, and talked to a lot of people who got some really good deals!

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

I tend to notice that most of the die hards have all they need! This brings up the issues we seem to have at contests. Vendors are only doing so-so. I think that is because most of us have what we want and by the time we get to a show or convention, we have already purchased most of what we want and are looking for those rare and hard to find items.

Guest PetrolGator

Wow. There is a gentleman who sent me a 1/350 USS Buchanan, 1945 Tokyo Bay. This is a hard to find kit even WITHOUT the Dragon railing accessories. I don't know why, but the guy refused payment and just wanted it to go to a good home.

With all that's happened recently, it really meant a lot.

• Like 1

So what about pictures here people? After all, descriptions are nice, but we all love to drool over the packaging!

This weekend was my club's Orangecon 2013 and I was able to get a couple great deals as well as two raffle prizes. Here they are:

Raffle prizes first:

Decal sheet for air-to-air missiles in the US Air Force, scales 1/32, 1/48, and 1/72:

Missile_Decals.jpg

Next I won a Y-wing fighter from Star Wars. It's even my scale! Check it out:

Y_Wing_Fighter.jpg

Now my two latest scores were this L-39 for $5.00:

Edward_L_39.jpg

And finally there was this Dual-kit set of 1930's era vehicles. I got this for $20.00:

Airfix_Fire_Engine_and_Bus.jpg

That's all my latest acquisitions for now. I got to get some shelf queens built before I start on any of these.

• Like 1

Mark,

Is that Airfix duo a re-release or an "oldie"? If it's an oldie, it might be worth enough to stock up on a lot of other stuff.

Mark, the Bus and Fire Engine are very early 20th century vehicles, not 1930's.

Airfix has issued both kits separately, with the "Dewars" being the 1910 bus and the "Old Bill" bus .... and the Dennis is just the Dennis ... both are good kits.

I wish I had found your dual kit, just for my collection ... congratulations on it.

Mark,

Is that Airfix duo a re-release or an "oldie"? If it's an oldie, it might be worth enough to stock up on a lot of other stuff.

It's actually a new release of two old kits in one. I do plan on building both.

Mark, the Bus and Fire Engine are very early 20th century vehicles, not 1930's.

Airfix has issued both kits separately, with the "Dewars" being the 1910 bus and the "Old Bill" bus .... and the Dennis is just the Dennis ... both are good kits.

I wish I had found your dual kit, just for my collection ... congratulations on it.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was only a couple decades off. I have a single kit of the Dennis fire truck already started; I'd gotten it for about $5.00 at a kit swap meet. I'd never seen the bus as a single kit before; it was worth it getting the dual kit for that. You may still be able to get one John, good luck in finding one.

Bob, I'm looking forward to seeing you start that one. I want to see that in progress!

Just aquired a few new things at Syrcon.

1/32 Trumpeter Skyraider

1/32 Has Me-109F for 25$

1/32 Eduard Me-109e Balknas, Made a trade

1/48 P-40,Macchi 202, P-80 with a bunch of resin

Book on Italian 109's

Now to figure out what to do first....

Guest PetrolGator

James, I vote for the Skyraider. I LOVE those and it's gonna be HUGE in 1/32!

I picked up, from FreeTimeHobbies:

* Blue Ride Models USS Oklahoma (1/700)

* Various PE.

Local store:

* DML USS Arizona (1/700) Premium (ROFL!!!) edition.

I want to say a few things on this Arizona. First, it's sort of a pig. Secondly, the lipstick didn't help a lot. They improved it and the ship's hull is correct, but sections of the superstructure are so wrong it's not funny. It'll be a fun little project in frustration.

This weekend, I'm sure I'll have a LOT more stuff to add to the stash......

Only comes in a 22oz. bottle. Good for a whole session at the bench! :smiley11:

attachicon.gifstone.jpg

Yeah. If you post a photo, you send one to everyone. :smiley2:

I did send one to everyone! :D Oh, you don't mean a picture, you actually want a full bottle! :smiley29:

• 1 month later...