S-3B Viking (ESCI 1/48 scale)

drhornii

The model depicted is the one that was hit by a EA-6B during night ops on the big "E" on November 6th 1998. A friend of mine was the first fire hose on the jet. Funny thing is I met another person this week that was on the flight deck that night. Small world!

A lot of goodies in this one, Goffy models cockpit & weapond bay, Paragon wing fold and many scratch built items (APU, Access hatches, fuselage steps, wingfold braces). Special thanks to 3 Wire design for the custom display base.

01.jpg[/url]

04.jpg

LHfront-01.jpg

LHfront-03.jpg

crewentry-01.jpg

Aft-crew-02.jpg

Edited by drhornii

Beautiful beautiful model David. A very detailed rendition. I have a technical question for you though: Is the depiction of the open ejection hatches for the two rear crewmen accurate in reality? I always thought those hatches over the two rear ejection seats were a permanent part of the airplane structure? Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by mquan

Absolutely gorgeous Hoover! The details you added really catch the eye.

As an aside, we have a couple of ASW types in our club here in Jax that had time in the S-3; including one guy who was the only one of the four to eject safely on a cat shot when his Viking immediately rolled uncontrollably right off the end of the deck.

Thanks for posting that marvelous model!

GIL :smiley16:

Beautiful beautiful model David. A very detailed rendition. I have a technical question for you though: Is the depiction of the open ejection hatches for the two rear crewmen accurate in reality? I always thought those hatches over the two rear ejection seats were a permanent part of the airplane structure? Thanks for the clarification.

I used this photo as reference, they have to be able to get the seats out for maintenance.

s-3_convertable_zpsd5b50193.jpg

• 3 months later...