Alclad paint question

sumterIII

Can you paint Alclad chrome with a brush? I want to paint the window frame on a car kit.

I also saw where someone said it was best to base coat with gloss black before painting Alclad, is this true?

Guest PetrolGator

I've had some issues painting Alcad with a brush. The finish came off as clumped and runny. I also go with gloss paint. Black makes the stuff look interesting.

I've had some issues painting Alcad with a brush. The finish came off as clumped and runny. I also go with gloss paint. Black makes the stuff look interesting.

Was the issue with thinning? I'm concerned with Lacquer over top of enamel, as this has always been a no no before.

Guest PetrolGator

I think the Alcad actually reacted with the paint. I did some searching on the web after it happened, and that was the consensus. When you airbrush it, it'll partially liquefy and bond to the finish. When you then add a brush stroke, it pulls the newly fluid finish with it. Honestly, I'd carefully mask and use the air cannon.

I don't know about brush application. I've done it on some small parts but the final finish never attained that same great "Alclad" look that I got with airbrushing. I use Tamiya TS-14 as a base coat. Applied in several light coats until it achieves a high glossy, consistent "finish", it provides a base for Alclad that makes quite a different between "spectacular" and "ok".

I apply the Alclad in thin layers at a fairly low psi and then after a suitable amount of drying time I use a buffing cloth to achieve a very realistic metal finish.

A personal favorite is to pick some random Sci-Fi model and turn it into what amounts to a hood ornament with Alclad Chrome. It's tons of fun and its Sci-Fi, so I can do what I want with the finish! I did that same thing with an old Revell F-101 (Swivel-Base generation) and it is a joy to look and has been mistaken for actual metal by viewers until picked up and found to be too light. (Hey! Where's you get a metal F-101!.....oh, wait, this isn't metal....)

Testors or MM was my backup plan, I have Chrome foil too but it's not easy going around thin curves.

Dick are you saying best to use acrylic under it vs applying direct to enamel?

One more question, should I clear coat the body then use Alclad or clear over everything at one time?

Edited by sumterIII