Newbies and novices

To all other newbies and novices like myself , I just wanted to impart some words of wisdom if you are serious about model building. I have several kits waiting to be built. I want to do the best job I can so I need to Practice. I found some cheap kits like some old Airfix kits on e-bay and some others I picked up at fleamarkets etc. It was quite a challenge to get the parts to fit right and to get the seams filled and all. I ruined one but it only cost me .99 cents . I think I am about ready to start on some more expensive kits now that my confidence level is up. I also scourred the tips & techniques coluums of several websites. I'm not ready for this years Nats, but mabye next year I will have a model worthy.

I'm not ready for this years Nats, but mabye next year I will have a model worthy.

It sounds like you are doing everything right to fine tune your modeling skills. I have two minor suggestions also. First, if feasible, find a local club and meet with people like yourself. Every club that I have known has modelers of all levels and everyone loves to first, ohh and ahh over your models and then give you some very good tips on how to improve the model or make your modeling easier.

The second thing is to remember that you only have to please one person with your models - yourself. If you are happy with your latest model, that is the only important thing. Along those lines, take your models to any contests that are handy, including the Nationals. I, personally, enjoy seeing my models setting on the tables alongside all the other models. Mentally, I can say that my models are better then some while others are probably better then mine. I have been building models for many, many years and sometimes take some prizes at local meets but I expect that I will never win a Nationals prize. That does not prevent me from taking my latest "kids" to the contest to look at them on the table.

Hope you really enjoy the hobby.

Clare is right, taking stuff to contests is not bad even if you don't think you will win. I never expect to win but take if for nothing else to have folks look at what I built and to sometimes get a judge to look at it with me and point out things that I could improve. As long as I like it though, that's all that matters and of coarse I am my own worst critic anyway.

• 5 weeks later...

Wellcome to a great hobby! I started when I was 8 years old and returned after a fifteen year break to find the kits were simply amazing. If I could give you advice in a word its patience! The difference between good and great is a little extra time. Enjoy, and I hope you have many happy building years ahead.

Wellcome to a great hobby! I started when I was 8 years old and returned after a fifteen year break to find the kits were simply amazing. If I could give you advice in a word its patience! The difference between good and great is a little extra time. Enjoy, and I hope you have many happy building years ahead.

Every person in IPMS has built a first model. For some, that was a recent experience. For others (like me), it was as a kid back in the 1950's. Regardless, whatever I choose to build today will reflect better skills, better tools, and better results than were evident on my first one. So, you are correct, patience and practice will result in improvement over time. Being a little bit dissatisfied with each completed model leads to a challenge to do a bit better on the next one. Modeling is a process, a journey, that never has an ultimate ending--unless you give up and quit (or worse, have to give it up for some medical reason). Rest assured that I've come up empty at the Nats far more often than I've received an award, but I enjoy them anyway and continue to build and go to contests at all levels just for the fun of it. I've met some great folks in those places, too. Welcome aboard! :smiley31:

Ed