Group Build: History's Rejects: Indefinitely Postponed.

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator
Stein,

Thank you! The guns have been revised. Orange Hobby's instructions were off. I also had to attack the guns themselves to the photo etch covering to get them to sit right. It wasn't hard and they look fantastic.

I've dry fit the monster again. The AA guns fit into their slots like an injection kit. It's bloody impressive.

null_zps67139c54.jpg

I've almost finished work on the forward flight deck overhang's PE support, with only some horizontal supports missing. Work has also been done on the top of this part. The biggest issue here are the missing boxes (ammo crates?) at the edge of the flight deck. These broke in transit, though I think I can fabricate some pretty easily.

null_zps5b2f6d05.jpg

null_zpsc8b7e8ce.jpg

I've also been filling the seams left by the AA gun tubs with thinned Tamiya filler. They're about ready for a first layer of primer.

null_zps89400dd5.jpg

Finally, here's a sneak peek at a little bit of fun I'll have in a few weeks. I'm still unsure if I'm going to go through the trouble of extending her bow, even if it is more accurate... unsure if my skill set is up to the task:

null_zpse6d03197.jpg

Also - Any advice on how to paint her flight deck would be most welcome. The Graf Zeppelin will be painted in some sort of camouflage (undecided) but the deck should be left in some form of naked teak, right? Tips on achieving something realistic in 700 are appreciated.

All for now. I'm out of town in Chicago this weekend and have a marathon the following. There won't be much building. :smiley5:

Guest PetrolGator

We have three days until the next start date for this group build begins.

Any takers? If not, I'm going to start an "In Progress" thread for the Zeppelin once I get back to work on it.

Guest PetrolGator

I'll leave this up until Nov 15th. If there isn't any interest, I'll can it. I've made some progress on the GZ, but nothing of note outside of a platform. I've spent most of my time fitting and sanding with another good chunk deciding on how I'll paint her.

Guest PetrolGator
I spent all weekend in Chicago at a wedding, so little has been done. I've spent MOST of my time casually sanding and filling, hoping I may actually get those @(%% seams filled along the flight deck. I guess I'll just be using more putty and Mr Surfacer...

Also: The main mast is mostly done. Fitting it for the picture resulted in one of the radars being knocked off, but it'll be an easy fix. I'm probably going to replace one of the smaller masts with brass as it is thin and fragile.

Hangers have been aligned and glued on. I've also finished the PE for the take off platform.

null_zps467ff589.jpg

null_zps7d226598.jpg

null_zps58906c5c.jpg

All for now. Perhaps, with this incoming weather system expected next weekend, I'll get done more than expected. I've love to prime her and get her ready for the paint bit of paint.

I just noticed that the little twin platform was crooked.... just remedied it with some creative and careful bending.