Airfix 1/72 Boeing AWACS E-3D Sentry

stefanwest

Excellent! At least yours didn't have the massive wing root gaps that mine did! I had gaps that were literally a quarter-inch wide. I also had stripped and repainted this model at least nine times before I finally gave up. I'll be watching this with interest to see how it is supposed to look! Keep posting man!

Steve,

It's interesting that you selected the Airfix boxing of this plastic instead of the more numerous Heller versions (at least 3). I have AWACS planes on my bucket list in four scales, five if you count the box scale Revell kit--1/72, 1/100, 1/144, and 1/200. The big CFM56 engines and refueling probe make the Airfix version unique. I'll enjoy watching this one come together.

Regarding hardware for joining the upper wing sections to the fuselage halves, the miniature bolts, nuts, and washers available in packages in the model railroad section of the LHS are inexpensive and provide total control of the alignment, location and squeezing of the plastic when tightening the bolts and nuts. Great solution you offered to this problem.

At least you will not have to replace rivet details with this kit, but that problem is replaced by having to fill in the oversize panel lines on the fuselage.

Ed

Well. Did not like how the AWACS radome was working out. Using the Eduard mask kept leaving tape residue. So I removed the paint. Scanned in the leftover mask outline, made a reverse image of it. Imported it into my cutter and made a new mask from Tamiya yellow tape. Now you see the results. Ready for gloss coat and decals.

IMG_0364_zps55a62791.jpg

IMG_0365_zps91deb671.jpg

IMG_0366_zpscc853f8e.jpg

IMG_0367_zps33354461.jpg

IMG_0368_zps10231d1f.jpg

IMG_0369_zps8f0b7999.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent! At least you didn't have to deal with the 1/4" gaps in the wing roots that I had to deal with when I built this! You did great! Looking forward to seeing more.

You're getting me inspired to try and build my Looking Glass aircraft from AMT. I have several larger aircraft to get done first.

Guest PetrolGator

I love when kits do annoying stuff like that. Nice job remedying the problem. I always like to follow your buids, Steve. You always come up with innovative ways to fix problems.