Things that make you fume

Guest PetrolGator

Bad instructions or no instructions.

I tend to super detail. I've run across a number of aftermarket sets (and sometimes kits) that have absolutely terrible and inaccurate instructions. I have, on occasion, asked for clarification from a company and been told to pick up reference material to better understand how that flat piece of PE is actually a complex radar. Essentially, I have to shell out more cash to pick up what is often a rare book or drawing so I can fix their problem.

I have two ships boxed that I just gave up on due to this. I'm sure I could figure out the PE and where it goes, but I just got frustrated.

Amen on the ships, brah. I have a couple that I purchased as an intro for shipbuilding. After hours of examination, I cannot figure out how to fold the PE. And, for a couple of the smaller ships, there are absolutely no instructions on where to put the PE. Or what the PE is supposed to represent.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PetrolGator

I have another one: Clear resin. Specifically, messing it up.

So, I'm still in my "experimental" stage with my model building. I'm still not set on a way to do seascapes, or even rigging. I still wing it. My latest attempt at a "realistic" seascape ended in abysmal failure that almost cost me a very nice resin kit. I've since fixed it, but will NOT skimp on the measuring aspect of resin casting ever again......

Having volunteered to judge contests before, and being banished to the 1/72 scale armor category, I know that I do not know all there is about the various tank kits in this all-inclusive category. I don't see how you can expect the judge to know all the ins and outs about about the particular subject you built. Even for a specific category like WW2 German armor, I doubt many judges know everything there is to know about every kit in the category.

Likewise with a car, boat or aircraft category.

Guest PetrolGator

Inaccurate Tamiya models getting a free pass... Their recent Il-2 or Fi-156 for instance...

Wait. You mean the new Tamiya Yorktown and Hamman aren't the bestest things EVER? Trumpeter must have done it! :smiley16:

Seriously, agree. I've been hacking at Tamiya's new little destroyer off and on for a while... pain in the butt and costs as much as a DML 2+1 Benson class!