The Duke's Newest Magnum Opus

Mark Deliduka

This is also my 638th completed 1/72 scale armor model.

After one year and five months, I have finally completed my German 80 cm K (E) Schwere Kanone Dora railroad gun.

I spent 99% of my time building her at St. Crispin's Hobby Day, where I spent many hours assembling, patching, sealing and sanding. I used Mr. Surfacer 500 exclusively on all seams for this model. At home, I spent three days painting her with Model Master enamels through my Iwata airbrush. I started out with a black basecoat over all. That took seven paint bottles of flat black. Next came five bottles of Panzer Schwartzgrau over all, followed by Gunship Grey over the larger areas to modularize the color. This was followed by further modulation using Neutral Grey. I then dry-brushed all the raised details and edges with Neutral Grey. Next I masked off the barrel and shot Tamiya Bare Metal Silver from the rattlecan on the bare metal parts of the barrel. I sprayed three coats on it. When it was dry, I took a very fine sandpaper sheet, wrapped it around the silver part of the barrel and turned it about four or five times. This gave the very convincing effect of turned metal on the barrel; at least in my opinion. It was certainly what I was trying for. Afterwards, I applied a gloss coat over the areas where the decals went and spent the next two days applying decals. Once they were dry, I hit them with a decal solvent and then dullcoatd them. She was now ready for final assembly.

This past Friday and Saturday I took her back to Hobby Day and proceeded to paint the details. I did the wood parts with a weakened wood color; weak enough to see the underlying grey coat. I then applied a strong wash of Burnt Umber mixed with Mona Lisa thinner to bring out the wood grain detail. I was extremely pleased with how the wood came out.

Once all this was dry, I proceeded to build and install all the detail parts, railings and other fittings. This was a long and tedious process, but I got them all done. Then I went on to paint all the unpainted areas where the parts were attached to the sprue; and finished off with some more dry brushing and touching up glue spots with some dullcoat. At the end of this two-day marathon building session, I finally declared my Dora completed.

Now on to the pics:

German_80_cm_K_28E29_Schwere_Kanone_Dora

Here is a shot of the rear loading deck:

Here's a shot of the front of the gun from above:

This is a shot of Dora from eye level. See how she looms above the viewer:

And this last shot was a fun little shot when someone placed a 28mm-sized (approx 1/48 scale) catapult next to Dora. It isn't quite the same scale, but it is quite the hilarious juxtaposition of these two:

There she is. My Magnum Opus; even greater than the armored train I did. For anyone going to the IPMS Nationals in Colorado, you'll be able to see her in person. I had a friend of mine build me a box to carry her and I am so thrilled to be able to transport her so securely.

Thanks to all who looked in and followed my work as I persevered in this massive undertaking. Your words of encouragement and support kept me going, allowing me to conquer my fear of this model and see this through to the end.

Enjoy these finished pics and once again, thanks for looking in and as always, comments are welcome!

Fantastic, can't wait to see it in Loveland (and take my own pics).

Hi, Mark,

You will win the award for bravery in the face of an intimidating kit. The old question of "How do you eat an elephant?" comes to mind. Answer: "One bite at a time!" In your case of "How do you build a Dora?" you can say "One piece at a time!" The length of time is not important.

Your photos here are probably better than any that will be taken in Loveland because those will not have the blank background available. Those will be filled with surrounding models and people hanging over the tables. I'd love to see this and you in person, but, alas, I am unable to attend the Nats this year. I had to spend a ton of money fixing up my deceased mother's condo for sale, and it is still not sold.

Good luck at the convention.

Ed

Thanks guys! Phil, I'm looking forward to meeting you this time. I can't wait to get there.

Ed, thank you, you are too kind. I am glad I had the chance to shoot those pics when I could. I wanted to take more, but wasn't able. I'm sorry to hear of the issues you have had; you are going to be sorely missed. I was hoping very much to meet you again.

Well done Duke! Fantastic! "Magnum Opus" is a great way to describe this model. I remembered that John Alcorn used this term in his books to describe modeling projects. I hope to make the Nationals again one of these days. Best,

Mark

Thanks guys! Dora is generating quite a buzz here at the Nationals, so I'm told. I've also entered another 103 models besides the Dora. Yes Chris, I got this awesome pine box with handles to hold her.

STUNNING! Great job Mark. You've got to take a picture in its resting spot at your house, just to really see how much space it takes up.

I think you need the "BOOM' flag still.

Bill

Thanks Will! Once I find a place to unpack her and put her up, I will. For now, all I have are the pics from just after I painted her. You can see them in the Maddog Manufacturing thread in On the Workbench. It would show the same thing.

Thanks guys! Yes Chris, she made it home intact with no issues. My friend Harmon came through with the big wooden box she came in and so she is still in prime shape.

Jim thanks. I appreciate the compliments very much. She was only 1/72 scale, but that is the only scale I build armor in. I've seen a 1/35th scale one built; that model is over six feet long!

Thanks again for the great replies guys!

A stunner!! Looked even better in person at Loveland. Pat yourself on the back for this one.

Thanks Chris! Yeah, she is my best to date; my Magnum Opus. I don't knwo that I will ever be able to match this quality again. I still keep looking at her and thinking, "Did I really do that?" She didn't place Chris; she was 'pulled out' of the OOB category that I had entered her in and judged instead in the non-OOB Artillery category so there was no chance for me to place after that happened. At least now I can enter her in all the local contests in this area to see how she places at all of them. Then she'll do a return engagement to Columbus, Ohio in 2015. My brother and his eight kids live there; I can't wait to show him this!

Thanks Bob! I must have passed you a dozen times at the Nationals and wanted to stop and chat, but there was always something else to see or someplace to be. I do appreciate the compliments.

• 3 weeks later...

Impressive build Mark. Don't sell yourself short, you'll be able to top this again. Any reason why your model was pulled out of the OOB category? From what I've seen, it truly is one of your better built models.

Thanks Rob! It may take awhile to top this. I was told that they moved it simply because it was artillery and they had an artillery category. It didn't matter to them that they had no OOB artillery category or that I wanted it to be judged as an OOB entry. What's done is done, time to move on. Barring unforeseen circumstances, she'll be making a return engagement to the Nationals in Columbus; I do hope you're there to see her in person. I would very much like to meet you in person.