Future Replacement

matsman

I haven't made it a point to write to the IPMS members but I did a little research recently looking for a reasonably cost replacement for Future Floor wax that I wanted to report. There has been a continues rumor that the Clear version of Future, used by many modelers as a gloss top coat, will no longer be available. As my supply was starting to run low I started looking for a new bottle of Future. After surveying all the various supply sources in my area I came to the conclusion that it is no longer a rumor as no bottles of Future were found.

Given this situation I started to look for a replacement. I believe I have found one in the Rubbermaid Professional Plus Universal Floor Finish. This is a high gloss, acrylic liquid that can be both brushed and air brushed. To date I have tested both brushing and air brush technique and compared the surfaces with Future coated areas with satisfacory results. I have also dipped a canopy into the material and found the results identical to Future. Application over decals also appears practical. I have yet to apply the finish to a completed model but when I do I will report on the results if there are any problems.

The biggest drawback is that the liquid is only available in a 1 gallon size, about a lifetime supply for the average model builder. I found it at Walmart in the paint supply area. The gallon sells for $15 plus tax.

I hope this information is a value to the group.

Richard

If I'm not mistaken, Future is still made, albeit with a name change - it's now called 'Pledge with Future Shine'. It's still widely available here in Georgia and as far as I know, it's still being made, just under that different name.

I think the bottle is also a clear dark blue instead of just clear plastic.

Eric

If I'm not mistaken, Future is still made, albeit with a name change - it's now called 'Pledge with Future Shine'. It's still widely available here in Georgia and as far as I know, it's still being made, just under that different name.

• 2 weeks later...

There was some similar information on another website....bottle or liquid being blue...etc. One person reported usage was identical to Future. A second person reported that new product didn't dry as clear.

Any follow up on the new stuff by anyone?

Similar experience in Southern California. My bottle is really old! When I went to get a new one surprise, can't find it anywhere. I'll be on the lookout for the renamed product.

Dick,

I just picked up a bottle of "Pledge with Future Shine" to dip some canopies. Worked just like Future did, dried nice and clear.

Dreamsof51,

What stores have you checked. I checked my local Safeway and they didn't carry it but my local Lucky's did. I am in Northern California, so not sure what markets you have around.

Eric

Similar experience in Southern California. My bottle is really old! When I went to get a new one surprise, can't find it anywhere. I'll be on the lookout for the renamed product.

Whew! That's a relief to hear. I found it hard to believe the company would discontinue Future Floor Wax. My Future is so old it's as thick as honey, and I must thin it down with a little alcohol. NOTHING beats Future when putting the final finish on a water base. Thanks for the info guys! :smiley32:

Dick,

I just picked up a bottle of "Pledge with Future Shine" to dip some canopies. Worked just like Future did, dried nice and clear.

Dreamsof51,

What stores have you checked. I checked my local Safeway and they didn't carry it but my local Lucky's did. I am in Northern California, so not sure what markets you have around.

Eric

Hey Eric

Wallmart, Ralphs, Vons, RiteAid. There is a Luckys across the valley here I'll check it out. Thanks

Chris

Dick,

Dreamsof51,

Eric

As it turned out Pledge with Future was at my local Walmart. Used it on the clear parts of the Firefly I just posted on the aircraft section. It worked fine. I did not realize it was so thin. My bottle must have been older than I thought! Another problem solved with the help of IPMS members. Thanks to all.

Chris

• 4 months later...

I don't like Future for many reasons. Years ago I purchased a quart of Ford Clearcoat paint from a paint dealer. It airbrushes to a very smooth top coat, never yellows and never changes. And it certainly is permanent.