Windshield tinting

I need some of your expert advice as to tinting windows. I am currently working on the Tamiya model of the '89 Ferrari Mythos concept car. The instructions call for "painting" (tinting?) the windshield smoke color. I have looked on hobby shop sites and manufacturers sites trying to find a stain or tinting paint with no luck.

I did try some Minwax wood stain, red mahogany, unstirred, basically the thinner portion, on a scrap piece of clear with good results except the color is brown and not smoke. Dried in about 24 hours. Now I am not that good at wood colors so I wouldn't know what other stain to try but am open to suggestions.

Also, what would be the best way to apply it without leaving brush marks and making it look factory? The black seal around the edge is no problem.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Eric,

Thanks for the idea. Didn't think of this. Looks like any good clear wax would work, I would just have to mix the colors to get the smoke effect. Another problem is the dipping part. I have already painted on the black windshield seal around the edge so I may have to experiment with applying it differently. Again, thanks for the suggestions and I will experiment with it.

If you are just going for a darkening Tamiya smoke in a rattle can works very well. That is what I use on this. I sprayed 3 or 4 very light coats. The first coat was horrible and looked blotchy but the second and third coat evened it out nicely.

SLSBlackhalffront.jpg

Pete,

That is exactly what I'm looking for. I have some scrap windshields to practice on and this should set off the car nicely. Thanks again.

You might try getting some scrap tinting material from a local auto glass shop and applying it to the kit piece. A small amount of scrap will cover any number of model car windows.

Ed

I mixed a little TAM Clear Red with the TAM Smoke for F-16 canopies, (airbrush) it worked out very well. Just spray on the inside and it comes out looking real outside.

Edited by sumterIII