1/72 Folland Gnat, the "New" Airfix

Ron Bell

I don't usually do modern "stuff" in a/c, but at a recent show someone told me this was a nice little kit, so as a break from the norm, I got one. He was right. This is the face of the "new" Airfix. Good molding, nice fit, good detail. The canopy was crystal clear (despite my best efforts to muck it up) and fit well. The engraving might be a bit over done, however. The only trouble area dring assembly are the main landing gear units. They have to be put in place before the fuselage halves are put together to fit right. Makes filing any seams awkward later, but since the seams are minimal, with the exception of the wing/fuselage/intake area, that's ok. Nice kit reasonably priced.

DSCN3188.jpg

DSCN3192.jpg

DSCN3194.jpg

DSCN3193.jpg

DSCN3189.jpg

Nice job, Ron. What is the silver of choice on it?

Airfix's new kits are great (at least the one's I've built).

Very cool.

Bill

Eye catching model Ron! Are those the kit markings, and if so, are the new Airfix decals on a par with their new molds? Also, how are you handling your "prop withdrawal"? :smiley17:

GIL :smiley16:

Having built the same kit recently, I can attest. Other than the panel lines (which don't bother me all that much) and the intake/wing interface, I really had fun with mine. The kit decals behaved nicely, Gil...

Here's a link to the build: http://www.ironmodeler.com/2013/06/the-mightygnat.html

Ralph

Kit markings and a lot of them. Don't know if I've ever done so many decals on one rather small a/c. They are thin, but strong and reacted very well to solvent.

• 4 weeks later...