What to do with leftover mixed paint?

ewahl

I was painting the face on another figure and I had way too much skin tone paint left. I prefer Windsor Newton oils because they stay moist and workable as opposed to the almost instant-dry of Vallejo paints. I decided to use up the paint on a fresh subject, so out came this resin bust figure that seems best described as a marching band majorette. I bought this at an MMSI show in the 1990s. This is a Rule 5 figure, so this is all I can show here (Photobucket would remove it anyway). Anyway, this is what came off the tips of my brushes.

Majorette4_zps4f6efb11.jpg

This was the original figure.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk206/e-jwahl/LakeLady1_zps9ade3822.jpg

Ed

Edited by ewahl

Thanks, Dave and James, I was surprised at what I was seeing as the paint job progressed from monotone base color to this finished look. I deliberately left all parts of the clothing in natural resin color so I could shoot this photo emphasizing only face and hair.

I really have to give credit to the sculptor for an incredibly rendered bust figure. The details that you can't see are just as remarkable. Believe me, it is much easier to put a great paint job on a well proportioned face that it is to put the same paint with the same techniques on a poorly sculpted face and make it somehow look better than it is. Blonde hair is also more difficult to paint than dark hair if you want it to look natural.

Ed

I agree with dave and james. The skin tone looks perfect. I would believe that it is a photo of a person except for some teeth and hair features. The eyes also look real. Fantastic job.

Hi, Clare and Dave,

For the eyes, I have a sheet of Archer dry-transfer eyeballs that I chose not to use. These eyeballs are painted with four colors--off-white for the "white" part of the eye, a tiny amount of blue spread thinly into a circle, a center pupil and outer iris edge in black with a 20/0 spot painting brush, and a white flash applied with a tiny wire that had been dipped into the paint. The eyelashes, eyeliner, and eye shadow are applied in the same way a lady would in front of her mirror, using the 20/0 brush again in an almost dry brush fashion.

The bust figure is in a Nemrod box. No identification as to subject other than "NCO Historex" and a color photo glued to the front of the box. No instructions or painting guide. There is a handwritten code "BU08" on the end of the box. That's all I know about it.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Ed

Everybody,

This looks even better "in the flesh" as they say. Ed brought it to our meeting andit looks really great.

Nice job, Ed.

Bill