Headlights #%@^! Headlights!

GLW

I'm trying to do the lenses on the headlights of a 1/35 armored car and I just can't seem to get them to come out right. I've painted the inside silver let it dry then fill with testors clear parts cement. Too opaque. Gouge it out. Fill the inside with bare metal foil then fill with super glue. Everything got all wrinkle looking. Drill it out. Paint silver then fill with future, besides takeing layer after layer it drys so clear it dosen't look like a headlight! :smiley29: MV lenses? I've got one. So, what method to use here? Theres gotta be a secret trick here. Anybody?

thanks

G.L.

MV Lenses! Open out the headlight appropriately; insert lens to test fit. When satified with fit, glue lens to housing. Add external embellishments as appropriate. Simple! Works a treat on aircraft landing lights too.

MV lenses are top notch. You may also want to go to the Dollar Store or Hobby Lobby and look for a package of Googly Eyes.....those little clear plastic bubbles with the black dots in them that scrapbookers use as "eyes" on cards and stationary.

Check out the Hyperscale.com "plane trading" forum. There's a guy there posting regularly for the last week or so with headlights. These could be used for cars or armor (or whatever). He has several different sizes and styles, including those with that distintive cross-hatched glass that's so indicative of headlight lenses. Be prepared to pay though, they're not cheap, especially after adding in the postage! But if ya gotta have realistic headlights......Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Hey thanks, I'll try the clear epoxy cause I got some. I'll look around for "googley eyes" :smiley29: and I guess I have to break down and order MV lenses (cheap sob that I am). If I don't like any of that I guess its time for painting on black-out slits or getting real anal and modeling broken headlights. Thanks again guys, I needed more options.

G.L.

I think clear epoxy is going to be your best bet. It won't shrink so when it dries. If you put in enough to dome-up then that is what it should look like when your done. You may end up slightly yellow (if your catalyst is a little older) but with a bright Baremetal foil back drop you should be alright.

I know they are popular, but I never liked the look of MV lenses. They almost look too clear in these scales. Headlights, when off and viewed from a distance, are not clear. You could argue they are silver or maybe even white, but not clear looking. I always thought vehicles with MV lens headlights had a "deer in the headlights" look, if you will.

The clear epoxy w/bare metal foil backing is first up. I'm getting good at gouging/drilling out headlights. I think I'll build a broken headlight too on the next vehicle in the dio, might be easier to do then the dang lens!

G.L.