1/48 RB-45C Tornado

ghodges

This is the resin CollectAire North American B-45 Tornado, which I built for the Korean War FB on Agapemodels.com. This is the recce RB-45C version, in the markings of the 91rst Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron, based out of Yokota Japan in '52.

This is a very nice kit, and can also be built as the gun tailed B-45A bomber with the glass nose. The main parts are resin, with cast metal landing gear and vac clear parts. It comes with a great set of decals that allow for no less than 5 different planes. Much of the build process can be seen in the "2 finally done" topic below.

One last note...this thing is HUGE! A 1/48 P-51D Mustang will fit on the top of ONE wing! Made it tough to take pics of, being hard to get it all in the frame!

002-20.jpg

003-19.jpg

009-9.jpg

005-16.jpg

011-7.jpg

014-6.jpg

028-1.jpg

016-5.jpg

021-2.jpg

022-1.jpg

As always, comments, critiques, and questions are welcome! Cheers!

Gil cool.gif

Another fine job sir! I congratulate you on this vac kit.

It seems it went together with few problems.

Paint scheme/decal scheme is really unique.

Bill

HI, Gil,

The finished aircraft is beautiful. Does anyone know where I can buy the Squadron B-45 in Action and B-45 Walkaround books? I suspect that this model alone would make them sell like crazy.

Ed

Steve: I primed the model with Floquil Old Silver. Next, I used some SNJ aluminum polishing powder, rubbing it in over all surfaces, then let it set for a day. After it sets, SNJ is maskable with low tack stuff, so I masked off various panels and painted them Alclad White Aluminum, as well as painting the OD anti-glare panels and the gray panels on the nose and tail.Not sure these days where you can get the SNJ polishing powder. Hawkeye Productions had it last, but they stopped selling last year.

Ed: I'm unaware of any In Action or Walkaround books on the B-45. I know I'd have them if they existed! This plane is generally forgotten and almost unknown today. You should have seen the iphones andi Pads come out at our meeting when I first brought the fuselage as guys scrambled to figure out WHAT a B-45 looked like!

The model itself is out of production, since CollectAire is all but out of business. It retailed for about $275 when it was available, and I suspect will cost more than that now if you find one on Ebay or at a show, unless it's in some widow's collection she's trying to dump unaware of its value.

Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Very nice Gil! Great job!

Mark

I don't know about the tail gunner position, but the 'sunroof' is probably to allow the navigator to 'shoot the stars' like my father did on AC-130 gunships in the 'Nam. I could be wrong though.

The window in front of the windshield is for the navigator, whether it was used for celestial navigation or just to provide light and ease claustrophobia. I don't know if the rear was manned without guns, seems rather useless, UNLESS there was access made to get to the cameras in the fuselage in flight, and a guy rode in back when not servicing them.

GIL :smiley16: