Source for 1/24 engine wires

Detail Master has been around for a long time and many hobby shops stock their products.

http://www.detailmaster.com

If you are building a race car engine, remember that the plug wires and hoses are just a touch larger than your standard everyday driver.

Detail Master does have a section marked for Race Car Ignition Wire.

If you decide to try Detail Master, reach out ahead of time to make sure the stock that is listed is current.

Good Luck!

I'm building a stock engine, thanks for heads up on the race engine parts. Thanks guys! :smiley20:

True scale plug wires would be about .015 in diameter, the only thing you can find that small is "wrapping wire". I think Radio Shack still sells it, it comes in a couple of colors, although the colors are too bright to represent real plug wires - plan on painting or at least dull-coating them. If you're not obsessive about scale, the individual wires in old fashion 4-wire telephone cable has more realistic colors (usually red, white, black and yellow) and is just a little on the too big side (about .030 inch diameter) for plug wires. Remember that real plug wires are "floppy" - whatever you use on your model will be way to stiff to drape naturally so be sure to sculpt in the effects of gravity.

Radio Shack (and other electronics supply places) also have "hookup wire" in assorted colors - 20 or 22 gauge should be about right for a radiator hose. Some of the aftermarket guys offer wiring with tiny lettering that simulates the part numbers that are often printed on real hoses.

You can also find fine gauge wire in the jewelry section of craft stores, but it is usually un-insulated so you'd have to paint it.

Don

Thanks Don the order I placed said the wire was .012 for 1/24 scale so that should work I think.

Edit note: Thought I might add some info for anyone wanting to order from Detail Master. The store is run part time, you may have to wait a while for your order to process. Contacting the owner may improve the speed but she has family matters that come first. For my needs it was no problem, but if you are in a rush contact her first. Please read the policies page on the website for more details. http://www.detailmaster.com/pages/policies.html

They have a lot of cool products for a very good price, the owner is good about following up with your email and so far no complaints about customer service. Just be patient :smiley1:

Edited by sumterIII