Trumpeter SA-2 SAM

WildBill50

Hi all,

Here is Trumpeter's SA-2 SAM. This build took just two weeks and was a real blast to build. The launcher was painted MM Russian Green with highlights and low lights brought out with lightened and darkened paint. I added an oil wash of burnt umber along with some aluminum chipped areas. The missile was painted MM Acryl Aircraft Gray (FS1473) with some highlights brought out with a gray wash. The decals went on good but you must hunt around to find where some of them go as they are not all shown on the direction sheet. Overall a very nice subject and a great addition to the shelf. It is one big missile. No wonder they called it a "flying telephone pole".

Thanks for looking.

Bill

CIMG1188_zps0c14a52c.jpgCIMG1187_zps47e98207.jpgCIMG1189_zpsa6812548.jpgCIMG1190_zps78b51963.jpgCIMG1192_zps14a17b1f.jpgCIMG1193_zpsd1b6f111.jpgCIMG1194_zps8b0c8d8d.jpgCIMG1195_zps5cbdcaa8.jpgCIMG1191_zps601df5bb.jpg

Well done! I love the weathering on the launch vehicle. Way to go!

I have two of those built in 1/73 scale; four more to go for a battery. Now I only need to find a command van and a Fan Song radar system in my scale.....

Duke,

You'd also need a SpoonRest radar. That was the target acquisition radar. The Fan Song was the missile guidance radar.

Thank you for the comments.

Mark, I heard if I wanted to do a complete battery site in 1/35, it would be about 50' around.

Yeah! That's why I'm doing mine in 1/72 scale. I only need it to be about 5' around; although I still may fudge it a little in the interest of space accomodation.

Duke,

You'd also need a SpoonRest radar. That was the target acquisition radar. The Fan Song was the missile guidance radar.

Excellent! Thanks for that Ron! Now if I could find one in my scale. I'm not sure either of them are done, but a man can keep looking after all.

That is so funny. When I was in the Air Force Security Service, we use to listen in to the operators of those things. The Rusky's considered it top secret stuff and now they make a model of it. Times change and anything for a buck.

The pic of that Radar doesn't look that transportable. Was that trucked in and left in place? I always thought of a SAM Site a little more portable than that.

Bill

http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=114225

These guys are loaded for bear...if you will. Believe it or not, there is even a huge, 1/72 mobile ICBM out there, which seems to be OOP for now: http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=149304 The cost of these things makes me reluctant to dive in, given the existing stash-stuff that already needs love.

Henk of Holland has a bunch of similar items listed/linked, as well. http://henk.fox3000.com/index2.htm

Thanks for those first two links. Great info. I love Henk's site; I go there quite frequently.

And looking at the first link, I just realized I already have the P-18 Spoon Rest Radar truck. Hmmm, time to get started on that....

Now to pick up four more SA-2 SAM launchers and I'll be in business.

As to the mobility of a SAM site, it's more movable than mobile, if you get what I mean. Each time you move it you have to take the radars apart and stow them, unload the launchers and move the missiles to their carrier vehicles, load up the launchers and then haul it all to a new location where you have to position the radars just so, get the launchers (up to six of them) set up, then load them all, synch it all together, yada yada yada. Movable, yes, shoot and scoot, no.

• 1 month later...

try this link

http://www.tracks-n-troops.eu/shop/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=98

I bought the SNR- 75 Fan Song and the P-12 kits.

A little pricy but nice kits if you are good with multi media kits.

The Fan song is resin and lots of photo etch. The P-12 is the ICM ZIL -131 kit with resin and PE parts.

I also hava a Planet Models SA- 2 (S-75) resin and the Gran C-75 (SA-2) injected plastic . Both kits are nice with the Planet Models having better detail but the usual problem with resin kits. Some warping and having to use super glue or epoxy. Gran kit is a little more basic but easier for you to add details being injection molded. Only thing missing now for a site is the Transport trucks and the vans for the operators.

Edited by carmelin

So it's the P-12 radar that goes with the Fan Song? They have two Fan Songs, one is Fan Song and the other; Fan Song "F". Does the P-18 go with the "F" Fan Song, because that is what I have. I also have the Ural 43203 command truck which I believe was the control van for the SAM site. Man, I need to get this cleared up.

See what happens when you post a lowly model for viewing...a possible SAM site with all the trimmings.

Mark, you had better be thinking of getting this all together now. You can take a picture of the site from your garage roof if you make it in your yard :gray-plane: Watch for the weasels again!

Bill

See what happens when you post a lowly model for viewing...a possible SAM site with all the trimmings.

Mark, you had better be thinking of getting this all together now. You can take a picture of the site from your garage roof if you make it in your yard :gray-plane: Watch for the weasels again!

Bill

I've been slowly doing just that as funds allow. I just need more info. Thanks! I hope someday to have that SAM site with all the trimmings!

Try this link http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-S-75-Volkhov.html Click on other topics like Acquisition Radar etc. for more detailed info. The Vans were like big rig trailers with a fifth wheel on a bogie ( like a tandem trailer) so they can be towed by reguler trucks.

Edited by carmelin