Journal P-47 Decals

RGronovius

Not being an aircraft modeler, I'd like some suggestions on which kit would be good to use the decals on. I think the only P-47 kit I may have in the stash is the old Testors or maybe a Monogram kit of a P-47.

Accuracy of the kit isn't that big a deal.

Not being an aircraft modeler, I'd like some suggestions on which kit would be good to use the decals on. I think the only P-47 kit I may have in the stash is the old Testors or maybe a Monogram kit of a P-47.

Accuracy of the kit isn't that big a deal.

IIRC, the decals are 1/72 and 1/48. The Tamiya kits in both scales are without a doubt the nicest of the lot.

J

I think either kit that you already have will do fine. I agree the Tamiya kit is wonderful but if you're not looking for the "n'th" degree of accuracy and already have a kit in hand, go for it. Personally, I'd use the Monogram.

Thank you for the input. I went digging through the stash and ran across the old Testors/Hawk kit. I'll use that one and since they also come in 1/72 scale (hadn't noticed it until you guys pointed it out), I may look to see if I have a small one to use or donate to someone who would like a 1/72 one.

The black box w/white text is the pilot/crew chief info and goes immediately below the windscreen on the left side. It is visible on the profle. What's IS going to disappear is that black text data block (on a OD plane), which goes in the same general vicinity. Though it's not shown on the profiles, he best guess for the black "T" is that it goes on the bottom of the cowl lip, so that you can read it standing in front of the a/c (and tell that it's a/c "T" w/o seeing the side codes). This was a regular practice, even if not standardized in every unit. Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16: