Martin EB.57A Canberra

canberrasig

Hi guys, this is a build I started on my SIG site but I thought some of you may like to see it. This is part of the on going build for the IPMS UK Nationals this year. Our theme is 60 Years of the Martin B.57 Canberra and 50 Years of the GD RB/WB.57F.

So after much deliberation I've decided after the B.57G my next big build would be a 1/48 EB.57A using the Airfix B.2 as my starting point. I'm not sure how well this will work out but I'm going to give it a good shot! Progress my be a bit slow on this one as the cockpit interior will need some major mod's, but it should be fun! smile.gif Photos to follow soon.

John

Edited by canberrasig

Hey John

I think we talked about a Canberra I saw while deployed last year. Sorry I never got any pictures for you, she would slip in and out unannounced. It was great seeing the old gal flying, amazing how long this plane has been in service. Good luck on your build, look forward to your post.

Hey John

I think we talked about a Canberra I saw while deployed last year. Sorry I never got any pictures for you, she would slip in and out unannounced. It was great seeing the old gal flying, amazing how long this plane has been in service. Good luck on your build, look forward to your post.

Hi Arthur

Yes indeed we did, it is a shame about the photos but who knows you may get another chance and with NASA bringing another F out of the bone yard and back in the air your chances have improved even more!

Let battle commence! First job is to fill the panel lines that are not applicable to the B.57A, or indeed the Canberra B.2, luckily there isn't that much. As you may be able to see from the drawing behind the model I'll need to add a few extra panels though.

DSC04133_zpsd817c4b9.jpg

And the same process underway on the wings, those of you who watched the B.57G build will be familiar with the work involved. This wing differs in that it will be the four x.50 cal. wing.

DSC04135_zpsa72a6274.jpg

I've scanned the drawings in the B.57A Repair manual and I've discovered another potential shape issue with the Airfix Canberra. The front end is just about spot on the only slight problem is the extreme nose being a bit off, but nothing major. The thing I picked up is the extreme tail end as you will see from the following photo Airfix may have made this area a bit on the thin side, as yet I'm not 100% sure if this is right or wrong I suspect there are two types of tail cone one with a tail warning radar as in the drawing and one without which is more like the kit . I'm still trying to work it out, but either way it's nothing too bad, if it is right and if you want to get it right it will need fixing. Will I fix it? I don't know, not this time! If it is right then it could apply to Every Canberra except the B.57E. Also of note is the miss match of the frames.

DSC04139_zps2f5fba31.jpg

Work is well underway with the filling and re-scribing. As you will see from the following photos I'm concentrating on the fusalage first. I've marked out the newly engraved panels in red.

DSC04141_zps7b929ca8.jpg

This next photo showing the work on the rear fuselage. The panel line I've had to fill that I wrongly placed was down to the fact I was using Airfix's misplaced Frame 31B as the datum for my measurements. I'll re-engrave the frame 31B further forward, then start again. Of the four filled lines, the one third from the left doesn't exist on the aircraft and the forth needs moving to the right.

DSC04140_zpse98171fa.jpg

And so, on to the wings. I've filled all the non applicable Airfix panel lines and drawn on the new B.57A ones. The ones with the "X" in the centre are hatches.

DSC04144_zps0095e92f.jpg

That's the upper wings done. smile.gif I've now started on the underside, I don't know why, but I've found the .50cal. wing harder going than the 20mm one but not too bad I guess.

DSC04146_zpsd24aabc7.jpg

The underside is all engraved now too, I've taken a photo of an unmodified wing for those that aren't familiar with the kit. I hope you can see an improvement :) There is quite a lot more to do on the under side than the top, which is a bit of a shame as it won't be seen!

DSC04148_zps4be44393.jpg

DSC04149_zps3c4fd8d5.jpg

John

• 2 months later...

Well, my original intension to do a WIP was thwarted somewhat, so if you are at all interested in how then you can take a look at my site http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8963524-airfix-1-48-canberra-b-2-into-martin-eb-57a So here it is all done and dusted. I hope you like her

DSC04401_zpseb5de36c.jpg

DSC04402_zpsc0b05c30.jpg

DSC04403_zps021ce05c.jpg

DSC04404_zpse83412df.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

Yeah Baby! THAT is one sweet look Canberra! I have the old Falcon 1/48 vac kit and plan to build it, and will benefit greatly from your knowledgeable build. Congrats, and thanks for sharing your tips!

GIL :smiley16:

Nice. My Dad worked with the 4677th DSES (later the 17th DSES) in the Pod shop. We were at Westover AFB in Massachusetts and moved with the squadron to Malmstrom AFB in Montana.

While they were using the B and E models I always loved this plane. Have a few old pics starting https://picasaweb.google.com/modelphil/BigSkyDays?noredirect=1#5348566082147345874'>here.

There is also an A at the Hill Aerospace Museum.

Hill%2520airshow%25202006%2520320.jpg

Thanks guys, it was a fun project, so much so I fancy doing another, but not yet! The next down the line will be a NASA WB.57F, then a B.57E not sure what scale this will be yet.

John