THE KIT FACTORY WEBSITE

papasmurf

Hello there, nice new Forum you have here, I was on the older version, seems my prior posts are now history!

I was just published in this month's IPMS Journal, the Refit on the Cover is my "Baby"!

If anyone wishes to see more of this build, and a multitude of others, please visit The Kit factory website at www.simonmercs.biz and have a look around!

Lots of Irwin Allen, Star Trek, Star Wars, Military, and much more.

Hope you like what you see, and let me know what you thought of the models displayed there, thanks!

Great kits Papa Smurf. Although I don't (yet) build Sci-fi, I was impressed with the article in the Journal. I may use some of these concepts for some future aircraft. Great jobs.

Great kits Papa Smurf. Although I don't (yet) build Sci-fi, I was impressed with the article in the Journal. I may use some of these concepts for some future aircraft. Great jobs.

Many thanks cwentzel, nice of you to say. The layout the IPMS staff did, was just incredible!

I love to build Armor, and Military Jets, and Subs, but most of my clients desire Sc-fi "Memorabillia" items. It's the "Thing" these days. I loved those SF old shows too, but have many interests.

But, yes, back to the main point you address, the same techniques employed in Sci-Fi builds can be used for all sorts of themes. Imagine a large scale Soviet Fighter with "Rotating Strobe" Wing and Fuselage lighting effects, and Fiber Optic detailed controls, flashing and blinking, in the Cockpit,.....Awesome!! :rolleyes:

I've always wanted to build a big "Desert Fox" diorama with a columm of Staff Car, a couple of Armored Cars, Halftracks, and few juicy Panzers in there, with illumination details! Open Tank Hatches revealing lighted interiors.

The possibilities are , well, .....endless.......that's the beauty of modeling! :smiley31:

Here's a few cool pics from the site, just a "peek" at what's posted there!

jv8_895_-601x411.jpg

Bespin_Morning_Approach_2-601x430.jpg

ATAT1-599x451.jpg

acover-600x450.jpg

war3_183_-592x450.jpg

voyvr5_541_-558x459.jpg

Panzer4-798x602.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Great website, and fantastic models! And nice work of the Refit for the Journal!

But a curious question for you Simon. Other than your commissioned jobs, do you build anything for yourself for fun?

I myself am currently stuck in a building "freeze" it seems. I took on a couple of friendly builds for other people, but can't seem to work on them as I feel (hard to express)stuck in that I'm unsure that they'll like them when I'm done. And in that, I can't seem to work on anything for myself, as I feel guilty I suppose for not working on their stuff. (I know, I should see a shrink....LOL) (really, probably should!)

Seeking help(LOL)

Kevin

Great website, and fantastic models! And nice work of the Refit for the Journal!

But a curious question for you Simon. Other than your commissioned jobs, do you build anything for yourself for fun?

I myself am currently stuck in a building "freeze" it seems. I took on a couple of friendly builds for other people, but can't seem to work on them as I feel (hard to express)stuck in that I'm unsure that they'll like them when I'm done. And in that, I can't seem to work on anything for myself, as I feel guilty I suppose for not working on their stuff. (I know, I should see a shrink....LOL) (really, probably should!)

Seeking help(LOL)

Kevin

That's an excellent question Kevin! I found it hard at first as well, but you have to get a particular "mind-set" established to be able to do this. I look at it as an occupation, a career, so making these models for others is quite OK with me after 6+ years. Also, having made props, Theater Stages, and Scenics/Sets, for many TV and Movie productions, it's in my "nature" to do this sort of work for others. I realize most builders wouldn't sell or part with their personal work, but a Smurf's gotta make a living somehow!

And being handicapped, it's a great way for me to make a decent living, as I can no longer do the very hard work that these Productions require.

I do not get time to build for myself anymore, but I have a splendid collection of many props and other items, in my prop display room, that I very much enjoy.

If you check out the Info Page of the Kit Factory website, lower down from the top of the page, there's a nifty quick time movie clip of my collection posted there, check it out! :smiley17: