Cessna 337

WildBill50

My cousin came over last weekend for a visit and he brought me some models that were in his attic for a long while and asked me if I would be interested in them. Needless to say I took them all. I won't say what they all are, but I will be making them on and off in between larger builds. This is one of them...the Aurora Cessna 337. It was started by my cousin, so I sanded off the brush painted blue on the outer fuselage and wing and tail boom. Once they were smoothed out, I painted up the interior. I still need to detail the panel and seats. This kit goes together really nice. No fit issues. I'm not sure what color I am going to paint it yet. The inside will be the tan/leather look that was on alot of the Cessna products. This will not take a bunch of time to build but it should look pretty nice when finished up.

Thanks for looking at this oldy but goody.

Bill

CIMG1146_zps4b179860.jpgCIMG1147_zps8ff652cd.jpgCIMG1148_zpsf23a72b0.jpg

Edited by WildBill50

Pete, not a bad idea. I think I want to go civvie on this one. One of my friends owns one of these and he is thinking of getting his repainted some way. I might paint it up in a "what if" civillian scheme and give him a 3-D visual.

Thanks for looking.

Bill

Gil, it's a little smaller than 1/72. I don't have the directions or the box top. Small box scale, I guess. I'll measure it up and get a guesstimate.

Bil

OK, after getting some dimensions, the length (29' 9") and wingspan (38' 0"), the kit comes in at roughly 4.75" length and 6.25" span= roughly 1/72 scale.

Bill

I saw an aqua/sky blue paint scheme that looked pretty good...standard Cessna markings. What I may do is make a copy of a three view drawing and just color up some different schemes until one just pops. I like how the Cessna schemes look, so that may be a starting point and then just go with something a little more flashy.

I've got the interior all painted up and put together now. I added seatbelts and the dual control wheels to the panel. The belts are made of tamiya tape and painted a darker shade of brown to complement the dark an light tan interior. I made the control wheels out of a small staple that I straightened out and cut and re-bent to get the proper size. Painted those black. I took pictures but everything is so darned small it's hard to see. Anyway they look good on the front of the instrument panel. All I've got to do is put in the glass side windows and I can close up the fuselage. I want to put some kind of engine block in the cowl just to fill in the area when you look in the air scoops in front.

This is a great palate cleanser for the next big build to begin after the Phantom gets done...which should be very soon.

Bill

Edited by WildBill50

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the fuselage buttoned up now and I have decided on a paint scheme for it. I am going to paint the plane a very pale gray with maroon stripes and gold trim. I primed the plane tonight and have to clean up a few small spots and then onto its final painting.

Pictures are of the interior and the primed aircraft that is described in the previous post.

Again, thanks for looking.

Bill

Here is a grainy picture of the control wheels on the side of the interior that were made from a staple.

CIMG1149_zps42c76f3b.jpg

Here you can make out the two tone seats and the seat belts that were fashioned from masking tape. Sorry for the quality of the interior shots.

CIMG1152_zps9aa74c3c.jpgCIMG1159_zps55b1caea.jpg

CIMG1158_zps03dabda2.jpg

Opti-visor to the rescue. I think it will look good on the old Aurora stand.

I'll paint the fuselage before I attrach the wings for good. It will be alot easier to handle that way. The picure shows the plane just pressed to gether ; no glue up yet.

I want ot get the gray on today and start striping it over the weekend. Tomorrow is shot as it is my wife's birthday.

That is sweet! Way to go o that interior.

I built this same model some tiome back to add it to my collection of 1/72 scale civilian aircraft. I painted mine with red and white, since my box showed it that way.

Looking forward to seeing more.