Most Built Aircraft Built In History

tomk

The Soviet Ilyushin IL-2 was the most built aircraft in history. 36,183 were built. Who makes the best IL-2 aircraft kit?

thanks...tomk

I vote for the 1/48 scale Accurate Miniatures version. Excellant detail right out of the box. The only thing I recall adding was some harness belts. Other than that, its turned out to be one of the best finished kits I've ever made. I'd love to show you a picture but that plane fell victim to a 7 year old during a move a few years ago. Came with masks for the greenhouse which worked quite well. Highly recommended.

Sorry Tomk, the Cessna 172 is the most built at 43000 units and counting.

Second is the PO2 at 40k units, then IL2 at 36130 followed closely by the BF109 with 35000 approx.

If it is the IL-2 you want to build, then the AM kit IS the best! And, if you shop around (though you may have to hit vendors as some are out of production), you can find several different releases and versions.

GIL :smiley16:

If it is the IL-2 you want to build, then the AM kit IS the best! And, if you shop around (though you may have to hit vendors as some are out of production), you can find several different releases and versions.

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

Thanks for the lead. I'm finding that Il-2 kits are hard to find.

tomk

Sorry Tomk, the Cessna 172 is the most built at 43000 units and counting.

Second is the PO2 at 40k units, then IL2 at 36130 followed closely by the BF109 with 35000 approx.

I should have been more specific.

The number of IL-2 built reached the total of 36,183 more than any other type of aircraft in history (at that time) WWII. History changes. Po's were produced until 1953.

While I don't have it (holding out for the two-seat version) I've heard the new Academy Il-2 is a 1/72 clone of the Accurate Miniatures 1/48 kit. Apparently, the original AM was working on a 1/72 scale version before they went under. Academy eventually acquired the molds and released the kit.

The only Il-2 I have is the 1/72 Eduard kit, which is very nice.

SN

Tom,

Accurate Miniatures is still offering their IL-2M3 kit on their website at:

http://www.accurate-miniatures.com/catalog...vikseries.shtml

Bob,

Thanks a million... I will order one today.

tomk

Tomk,

I may have two of the IL-2 Acc Mini kits in 1/48th and I'd certainly be willing to part with one at a reasonable price. Let me know if you want me to dig thru my stash to see if, indeed, I've got a spare.

Tomk,

I may have two of the IL-2 Acc Mini kits in 1/48th and I'd certainly be willing to part with one at a reasonable price. Let me know if you want me to dig thru my stash to see if, indeed, I've got a spare.

Dick,

Thanks for the offer. We only one "hobby store" left in our community. The local modelers try to support him. He makes every effort to get what we need and stock items we request. If you figure shipping cost and time. He is just as competitive as a internet vendor. If he can't get the kit I will get back to you.

Thanks, tomk

You're all wrong - the most built aircraft in history is Airfix's Spitfire JE-J......

What is the numder? What is the time frame for production? What is your source?

:P