USS Johnston information

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

I'm looking to convert a 1/350 USS The Sullivans (Trumpeter) to a USS Johnston. From photographs and data from the wiki and other free sources, the two ships seem nearly identical in basic layout (platforms, AA, etc.) I, however, feel like I'm missing something. It can't be that easy.

So far, I'm planning on replacing:

1. Trumpy 5 in main guns with salvage from some DML kits OR Alliance Modelworks equivalent
  2. Model Masters 20mm guns. These are seriously amazing if you've never used them
  3. Alliance twin bofors.
  4. Someone's gun director. Not sure which manufacturer I'm going to use, but I hear the Trumpy director is garbage.
  5. Anything I can with the GMM set that came with the kit.
  6. Torpedo tubes also salvaged from a badly damaged DML kit.
  7. Possibly the DML's gun director?

Ideally, I'm hoping to get pictures or an idea if this is the correct layout of her armament at the time of her loss:

5 × 5 in (127 mm)/38 guns,
10 × 40 mm AA guns,
7 × 20 mm AA guns,
10 × 21 in. torpedo tubes,
6 × depth charge projectors,
2 × depth charge tracks

Additionally, there is a lot of conflicting information as to how she was painted, but photographic evidence points to a Ms 21 scheme, which will be a LOT easier to apply.

If anyone has additional information on this ship, I'd be really grateful. With as storied and important as this tin can was, I want to build her right.

Possible configurations include:

1. Post commissioning, where Commander Evans gave his famous words
  2. Evading a 14 in shell splash, firing a volley of torpedoes at the IJN Kumano.
  3. Simply at speed.