Working with wood decks

Ron Bell

I just got an Artwox wood veneer deck for the 1/700 Trumpeter Warspite 1915. I've never worked with these before and have not been able to find any info on basic "how to's", such as how to safely remove the adhesive backing, how to remove the cut outs, how to actually apply it to the model. I have visions of it sticking where it's put, never to be able to be moved for adjustment. Is there anyone that can either provide such info or point me in the right direction to find it myself?

Guest PetrolGator

1) make sure you've painted the hull and have any exposed deck fixtures done. Wood decks + paint = mess

2) cut the deck out with the backing in place. Test fit.

3) when ready, peel, and move inward.

4) profit

JMO, of course.

Guest PetrolGator

One more thing: Railing.

Are you planning on using aftermarket railing? Your wood deck will stick above the rain gutters usually reserved for the railing. I had this issue with my 1/700 Queen Elizabeth. You're going to have to make the choice either to use styrene along the hull line to raise it up to deck level OR plant the railing along the very edge of the wood. Otherwise, your wood deck will stick up above about 1/3 of the railing, which on close up, looks rather silly.

Good points all. It seems odd that a company making detail items for ship models would not take into account one of the basic add-ons of ship modeling, railings.

Anyone else out there got ideas/hints/tips?

My reservation about these products is that they are way too thick for 1/700 and probably, in some cases, 1/350. Much of the surface detail so delicately formed on the deck is going to be flush with the decking applique! But I concede they are tempting because they look so realistic. I guess you just have to pick your poison. Nick Filippone