Pickup Truck recommendation

I'd like to build a model in either 1/24 or 1/25 of a late model pickup truck. Make or model doesn't matter, just a generic pickup truck you'd see on the road or in a Walmart/mall/employee parking lot. The closest thing I have to one is a Chevy SSR and that's not what I'm looking for. I guess late 1990s through today, preferably a stock, garden variety truck as opposed to a suped up truck or monster truck.

I typed in pickup in the eBay search field and ended up with about a dozen pages of models. Hoping somebody here knows a decent kit that won't cost me an arm and a leg or have me chasing after some hard-to-find vintage kit.

I'd like one with an engine, but that's not a deal breaker. I'd like it to be a decent kit that doesn't require a lot of hacking to build, but I'll take what I can get. I prefer the non-step side bed (fleet side?).

Might hit Hobby Lobby and see if they have something I can use that 40% off coupon on.

Late model pickup trucks are kinda scarce. Pickup trucks that are from the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s are common right now on the Hobby Lobby, Hobbytown USA, and LHS shelves. I can suggest two from the 1990s:

1. AMT SnapFast Plus Kit #8767 1/25 1996 Chevrolet C3500 Dooley molded in a metallic brown color, chrome wheels, chrome bumpers, chrome front grille, vinyl tires, side mirrors, crew cab, clear red tail lights, and some metal axles and screws. This is a curbside with no motor. With care on painting the details, you can get a very nice looking truck.

2. Revell Kit #85-7646 1/25 '99 Silverado CK Chevy Pickup. According to the box: "The best selling Chevy pickup has been redesigned for 1999 giving it a sportier look. The popular extended cab is combined withthe stepside bed, and the new Generation III V-8 engine packs a little extra punch under the hood. Highly detailed chassis and V-8 engine. Extended cab interior with bench and bucket seats. Authentic factory stock detailing decals. Molded in white, clear and transparent red with chrome plated parts and black vinyl tires." The photos on the box show considerable detail.

I seem to recall that Revell or Monogram has recently re-released their old 1992 Ford dooley pickup. Good luck on your search.

Ed

Thank you for the input. I surfed through the eBay pages, lowering the price threshold to $20 and location in the US made it a more manageable search. I did notice the number of vintage truck kits.

I found quite a number of kits at fairly decent prices that I am now watching. A GMC Syclone, '91 Ford F-150, '96 Dodge Ram VTS and a Chevy pickup look to be promising and well under $20 delivered if no one bids them up. The Ford is an AMT kit and the rest are Revell. I also checked the Revell.com site to see more information on kits that will probably be available at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. The Ford and Dodge are still sealed so I don't know the plastic color. The Chevy is molded in black and I don't look forward painting black, but it would probably be the cheapest kit.

I was hoping one of the car modelers would say, "avoid this kit, it's terrible" or the "blank kit is the best truck I've ever built" just to further narrow my selection process down.

Rob,

I know the Monogram Ford F-350 Daulie is in red and the Revell 1999 Silverado was in white (sold both of those on EBAY). Sorry I can't help more.

Saw the '97 Ford F-150 in the Squadron flyer for $9.99. I can add about $10 worth of armor stuff to my order and still be under the $19.99 limit for $4.95 shipping so all is good.

Rob,

I have......

AMT Chevy Silverado C-1500 6060

AMT 1994 GMC Sonoma 8128

AMT 1993 Ford Ranger STX 6953

If you are interested!

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying the '97 Ford XLT for $9.99 minus a 20% discount Squadron was running during Memorial Day weekend. Basically, $8 for the truck kit plus some other kits. My total 20% off discount for this order was more than I paid for the truck kit.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I know the Moebius kit isn't in your price range, but I heard the kit just falls together.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying the '97 Ford XLT for $9.99 minus a 20% discount Squadron was running during Memorial Day weekend. Basically, $8 for the truck kit plus some other kits. My total 20% off discount for this order was more than I paid for the truck kit.

Did you post a thread on this one? I missed it so I was curious how it all turned out there Rob.