2 new builds going! 2 finally done!

ghodges

I've started a 1/48 RB-45C recon Tornado for the Agapemodels.com Korean war fellowship build. It's the very nice Collectaire resin kit.

010-7.jpg

If interested, you can follow that build here:http://agapemodels.com/forums/index.php?topic=11700.0 My build starts on pg.8!

I'm also doing a "quicky build" of the Testors release of the old Hawk 1/48 Geebe R-1 racer.

008-9.jpg

I put a rudimentary interior (all spare parts) because it only comes with a pilot. I'm not even sanding off the markings on the sides and wings!

010-8.jpg

I also replaced the kit engine with one from the spares box, and built a firewall for it to give it some depth and help fit it into the cowling (which did need some grinding to get it all in there).

009-7.jpg

012-6.jpg

This shows how to modify the wheels so they can be added into the pants once all of the painting is done. Ain't cheating fun? :P

I'll also vac a new canopy for better clarity. Other than that, it's a "git 'er done" model. All of the above is about 3hrs worth of effort. More pics once painting has begun!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Back and tied to the whipping post again, I see.

The fit on the B-45 looks pretty good. How is the resin...smooth so you can paint a nice natural finish or will it take a lot of work?

Inquiring minds want to know.

On the GEE BEE...Red and white scheme?

Have fun.

Bill

Red and white Geebee...

The resin is VERY smooth, almost resembling plastic. There's just a few small bumps on the wingtips, and the tip tanks will cover those. The fit appears to be better than average, so my work to get the surfaces in shape for the Alclad should be no more than any regular plastic kit.

I'll be keeping an eye on the B.45 build I have the Mack2 1/72 kit that I want to build as an RB.45 at some stage. They are both looking good!

John

Painting progress on the Geebee....it was painted MM gloss white and was masked off today....

005-12.jpg

001-11.jpg

The masks were cut in place on the model using the molded in lines as a guide. It's since been painted MM gloss Guards Red. More pics when it's unmasked in a couple of days.

IN keeping with the "quicky" build aspect (and my impatience), here's pics of the finished paint job!

003-13.jpg

006-5.jpg

004-13.jpg

In sticking with the "kiss' principle of this build, I added the black cheat lines with a very fine tip black Sharpie pen. They're not perfect, but look good enough to sit on my shelf. Besides, A complicated masking job wouldn't have guaranteed perfect cheat lines either. With a little luck, I might even have this one done by my Saturday meeting!

An aircraft from the Golden Age!!!! That Gee Bee looks great! Way to go Gil!

Mark Fiedler (aAzZ09)

Cool!

Am watching that B-45, especially to see what you do with the NMF. I've got an intimidating Anigrand C-124 project waiting in the wings (so to speak) that's gonna need it.

A modicum of progress has been made on the B-45.....click onto the link to Agapemodels to check it out.

Had to gloss coat the decal sheet (as per Red Pegasus instructions), so they won't be applied until later this weekend, AFTER my meeting tomorrow! Still, I may have the Geebee done by Sunday evening.

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter has been visiting me from England, so I haven't made much progress. BUT, I'm off tomorrow and plan to get a lot of sanding and scribing done. In other words.......I'm at that slow, tedious stage in the build!

Ah, the Golden Age of aviation! That Gee Bee does do it justice! Great job, Gil! Best,

Mark

What's the tan primer? By the by, that link requires me to register for the site to see the "stuff".

The primer is Tamiya Fine White Primer, straight from the can. It's a very good, fine grained primer, leaving a "baby powder" smooth surface, that dries in less than 30 mins.

Also, if you register for Agapemodels.com, it's just your valid email, etc. (like Hyperscale and other sites). You won't get "spammed" by doing so.

The first aluminum primer coat is on!

002-17.jpg

Still more filling and sanding to do (lots of scratches), but getting there.....

004-16.jpg

Close up of the wing tip tanks. The kit resin fins were replaced with sheet plastic ones that are more to scale, and that could be more easily glued into scribed position lines.

A smattering of progress, but starting to get there!

1) Yes, that appears to be a nav area ahead of the cockpit, left over from when there was a bombadier's position in front of that in the earlier clear nose version. There's a vac clear window that I can Future into position at the end of the build.

2) The silver in the pic is Alclad Aluminum, which took an entire bottle to cover the model! I've now sanded and reprimed with Floquil Old Silver (thinned with lacquer thinner), which covered MUCH easier. It will be wet sanded with 2000 grit paper and then the NMF will be done with various Alclad paints.

The canopies have been cut out and masked!

002-18.jpg

I did both front canopies just to hedge my bets! You can see that thin strips were first laid on to define the frames. Then Tamiya tape was cut to mask the panes. This isn't hard, just tedious! The other key is to use FRESH blades! It took over an hour and a half (and 4 #11 blades) to get the job done.

005-14.jpg

The final primer coat is on! I used Floquil Old Silver, thinned heavily with lacquer thinner, and then lightly polished with an old t-shirt. This will serve as the base coat for the various Alclad aluminums to make up the NMF.

Next step is to spray the canopies, rear observer's cockpit and his seat, and the wheel wells with interior green. Then I can add the canopies and begin to paint model!

GIL cool.gif

Not sure how well you'll be able to see the difference from the pic above......

003-15.jpg

004-17.jpg

I decided to go "old skool" and start off with SNJ polishing powder as the base finish instead of Alclad. The few pics I've seen of this plane are shinier than I expected, and the SNJ gives a shinier and more realistic NMF to work from.

SNJ: this is an aluminum powder that is rubbed and polished onto a painted aluminum surface. Since you're actually applying real metal to the paint, it looks like real metal! That said, it is M-E-S-S-Y! You use a finger in an old t-shirt, dipping it into the powder and rubbing it into all surfaces. The powder gets on your fingers through the cloth, and basically sprinkles all over in small amounts. You do NOT want to touch ANYTHING else on your bench while you do this! I wore plastic gloves, which at least kept it off of my skin. When you've coated all surfaces, take a clean cloth and wipe/polish all surfaces again. This helps remove and polish in any leftover particles on the model. The last thing to do is to LIGHTLY brush all panel lines on the model to remove any powder from in them. If you do not do this, you may have some silver powder floating up to the surface when you wet it to apply decals!

The SNJ is maskable, but you need to give it a day or two to "set" into the surface (and perhaps wipe it down a third time too). I'll still be using the Alclad to do various panels, and (hopefully) should end up with the best of both worlds!