1/700 Tamiya HMS King George V - FINISHED

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

And she's done!

Used in this build:

- Tamiya 1/700 King George V

- Tom's King George V Photoetch

- Aber brass barrels for main and secondary armament.

- Dragon surplus AA (20 and 40 mm guns)

- WEM cranes, 8 barrel pom poms

- Eduard figures

- Stretched sprue (First time used)

- WEM hatches

- Various bits of styrene and brass to detail the ship.

- Artwox wood deck

This build has been a long one. The KGV was a fine kit in its time, but lack many details. Her armament was VERY poor. To help the ship stand out, I scribed the hull and sanded, to give the hint of her plating. Truthfully, it's not entirely to scale, but it adds a lot to the visual appear to the ship. In the future, I'm going to have to plan something like this better. The plating isn't as straight as I'd like it to be.

ALL weaponry was replaced in some way, shape or form. Barrels were replaced and her secondary turrets were detailed with styrene. Secondaries were replaced with better options from DML and WEM. In retrospect, I wish I had used brass photoetch for ALL the AA, but I needed to reign in the cost somehow. I may replace them in the future.

I used Tamiya paints and Vallejo washes on the hull. Her paint job was applied with my air brush, then hand dulled, weathered, and beaten with said washes and liberal dry brushing. My intention is to show her having just arrived in the Pacific, her hull beaten by the waves.

Let me just say I have a love/hate with stretched sprue. I attempted to use Jim Baumann's method for making and adding it to the ship. I still didn't make it fine enough for this scale. I guess that'll come with practice. Jim's a bloody genius with the 1/700 scale.

Questions and comments are welcome. I wish I could provide better pictures, but I still suck at using my digital camera.

100_0363.jpg

100_0356.jpg

100_0355.jpg

100_0354.jpg

100_0357.jpg

100_0358.jpg

Looks like lots of PE, I like the flag lanyard (is that the term for the ropie thingie?) being bent by the breeze, and the deck planking looks subtle, in scale, and very well done!

Come on! Ya gotta go to Houston!

I really like that fourth shot you took here. The colors and the ship in the water is really nice looking.

Great job on the photo etch.

I use nylon thread for my rigging. It works really well for me, plus it stays a constant diameter. Just a thought for you for next time. Go to a sewing shop and take a look around at the different threads. All different colors and diameters. Just watch out for the cost on some of them...very pricey.

Good luck in Baton Rouge.

Bill

Great job, with more practice the sprue will be as thin as you like. I pull mine almost three feet before giving it time to cool, a nice steady pull while watching the thickness till you get it where you like it. Mine will end up thicker at the end but hair thick at the bottom.

But why am I telling you this, I may end up having to compete against you some day :unsure:

Guest PetrolGator

Dick - Really wish I could. We have our Relay for Life that weekend, and I'm running with the wife. Well, I'm running and she's gonna... sip Starbucks and watch.

Bill - I have some nylon put away, but it was much too thick. I'll see if I can find something in the fine size I need for this scale. Thanks!

Arthur - Advice is appreciated. Competition will be CRUSHED. I'm a Gator. You're a Gamecock. That's just the nature of things. :smiley2:

Guest PetrolGator

Positives: Took 2nd and 3rd, losing to a beautiful 1/200 Arizona that took the guy more than a year to build and took Best in Show.

Negatives: KGV didn't even place. Between my first stretched sprue job, two brass barrels being jarred loose on the drive over, and a damn huge ass smudge I missed at the waterline, well, it didn't do well. I think that frustrates me more than anything. Live and learn, right?

I'm back to work on my Buckley, and may spend some time trying to remedy the issues with the KGV. If I find it satisfactory, I'll enter it at Pensacola.

Chris,

Looks really good. For rigging I like using fly tying thread. You can get it in very small diameters.

Dick, the "ropie thingy" for the flag is a halyard, also spelled halliard.

Ron W.