Landing gear and gear bay color for F2H Banshee

Eric

Working on Airfix Banshee kit. Trying to figure out what the landing gear and gear bay color is. The only photos I can find is a restored F2H-2P and it shows an interior green color in the gear bay, red interior surface of gear doors and aluminium gear. I thought that all blue Navy aircraft had the same exterior color on the gear and gear bay. Checking some photos of restored F9F Panthers show some with blue gear and gear bays, while others show blue gear and white interiors, white gear and gear bays or aluminium gear and white gear bays. Anyone have any idea what the Banshee should be.

Thanks,

Eric

The blue/blue/blue gear/gear doors/gear bay scheme is a Grumman/North American thing. MacDonnel evidently did use the interior green in the bays. The gear could be either blue or aluminum depending on whether it'd been through a depot, and the red door edges depends on time period. I say this having seen both the FH-1 Phantom at the Smithsonian and the F2H-2P in P-cola (and I know one of the restorers for that, and they did try to be as accurate as possible).

As you mentioned, there seems to be some variations out there, depending on time period and depot repaints. Use your best judgement. I don't think anyone will be able to fault you!

GIL :smiley16: