USS Ward question

sumterIII

I kind of fell into this one with a deal on ebay.

What I'm looking for is the armament configuration for Dec 7, 1941.

I have google pictures and line drawings that are confusing. Any Ward info you guys have please share.

Thanks

There's some info in Squadron's Flush Deck Destroyers in Action. One photo, but I think it's from the late 'teens in WWI camo.

There are some photos here, also not great, but maybe helpful:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/139.htm

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-w/dd139.htm

Here's a pretty good line drawing: http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/ships/ships-us/53315/view/uss_dd-139_ward_(destroyer)/

Which kit do you have? I recently found an older resin kit at a pretty good price, complete with a jap mini-sub. :-)

Thanks I have the old Revell kit which will needs lots of TLC. My main concern was the 20mm guns, I think they were added after 12/7.

I did the Midship Model Ward in 1/700 and my research indicated it was a standard flush-deck with the four 4in/50 main guns. I doubt it had anything else bigger than a couple .50 cal.

Those of you with the Squadron book (hopefully) might recognize the scene ....

ward-90_done5_s.jpg

Guest PetrolGator

Is that Midship kit any good, or is it like some of their other DD offerings? I've had two pre war destroyers that have been an absolute bear to build.

Guest PetrolGator

Wow. That's a Revell kit? Still, looks like you have to drop about 75 bucks in aftermarket to turn it into a masterpiece. However, a good looking four stacker is pretty awesome.

Arthur - From the few pictures I've found, it appears she did. It's hard to tell, though. Modelers seem to go both ways with kits that have been built.

Is that Midship kit any good, or is it like some of their other DD offerings? I've had two pre war destroyers that have been an absolute bear to build.

I didn't have any big issues with it. The hull was in good shape with the big pieces on it, the white metal and photo-etch were about right. The purpose of the build was a Pearl Harbor GB and not to produce a super spiffy Ward.

My favorite flush-deck are the 1/400 series from Mirage Hobby using GMM & WEM photo-etch. I have done HMS Campbeltown at Operation Chariot and only have the rigging left to finish Campbeltown in her Western Approaches scheme before being tagged for Chariot. Then I'll build USS Buchanan at the time of transfer, then again in her as built configuration. That'll give me the history of the ship. That still leaves me enough kits for a USS Roper and maybe one or two more.

Flush decks are fun.

Well looks like GMM time now for the PE set and maybe new guns too, so yes 75 should be about right.

New questions: 1. main deck was steel, what about the bridge deck? 2. Boot topping was it black or not there? Pictures I have are not clear to see for sure.

This was my first ever kit back in the stone age of my youth. I was living with my grandparents in Pensacola Fl and my grandfather was working at the Naval Air Station designing the new Chapel. He picked up the Ward kit and helped me build it. He also gave me other Naval related models from various contractors he knew. Good times that I never forgot.

• 5 weeks later...

For a late answer about the Midship Models kit...

The four-stacker is nothing like their injection-molded Mahan and Gridley class ships. The Ward kit is a resin update of the old Classic Warships kit, I believe. The greatest weakness is that the unique small parts are in white metal, and are pretty rough. The generic small parts come from the standard injection-molded sprue that Midships adapted from Skywave accessory parts. Not great, but generally usable.

The Ward has a very nice brass PE set, and a cute little Japanese mini-sub in the white metal parts. The price wa prett reasonable - $30-$40 - and I am quite happy with the kit. Can't say the same for the Benson/Gridleys and Mahans.

Rick

Guest PetrolGator

I've had two Midship plastic kits and have had about fifty grey hairs as a result. I do however have their USS Alaska which is REAL NICE.

Do you know where one may find a Midship 1/350 Ward?

Guest PetrolGator

1/700. The 1/350 variants run something like 400 bucks, easy. I've heard mixed reports on the kit itself. The hull has the usual resin issues (shrinkage, air bubbles) but nothing out of the ordinary. More alarmingly at least with my kit, a lot of the bridge/conning tower barely matches even the drawings provided with the kit.

Still, I'm glad to have it in the stash. I'll build her with my Tamiya Iowa, and outfit both of 'em with aftermarket AA.

Guest PetrolGator

In 1/700 scale, I tend to go a little darker. Try Tamiya flat red with some of their Hull Red in the mix. It looks pretty good for USN subjects.

• 3 months later...

I've had two Midship plastic kits and have had about fifty grey hairs as a result. I do however have their USS Alaska which is REAL NICE.

Do you know where one may find a Midship 1/350 Ward?

Midship's Ward is 1/700 scale. I built her on her famous patrol on 7 December.

Ward_91.jpg

Ward_10.jpg

I found a new wood deck for the Ward being offered by one after market company. Now I thought the Ward was a steel deck not planked. Whats up with that?

This one was entered at the Nats.

P8160215.JPG

Guest PetrolGator

Arthur,

I've seen naked wood decks offered for subjects painted in 20-B and even a FULL WOOD DECK USS Indianapolis option for her 1945 configuration. Poor research on the part of a manufacturer are leading to a lot of these issues. Also, add in that ships are actually gaining some popularity and a lot of companies are trying to capitalize on it.

The flush-decks were all steel.

BTW, David McComb's revised edition of John Dickey's "A Family Saga Flush Deck Destroyers 1917-1955" by is out and well worth purchasing. ISBN 978-1490585154, I got mine from the publisher Merriam Press, www.merriam-press.com

This draws together all of Dickey's errata, plus some new info and some greatly sharpened photos. Along with Alden's "Flush Decks and Four Pipes" and Ross' "The Destroyer Campbeltown" you've pretty much got anything you might need on the subject. Oops, forgot Arnold's Warships Perspective also ...