WEM USS Benjamin Stoddert?

burner12

I have been thinking about purchasing White Ensign Models 1/350 USS Benjamin Stoddert. But saw the photo etch parts it comes with, and the price.I haven't had much experience with photo etch. However thought maybe buy it then shelve it until I'm better with photo etch. What is the quality of the kit, is it worth that much?

Edited by burner12

Guest PetrolGator

FYI, here's a review of the kit: http://steelnavy.com/WEMStoddert.htm

WEM is an excellent manufacturer and I truly cannot give John enough praise in the way he handles his business.

What is your experience with photoetch? Modern kits require a LOT of care and patience with all the radar dishes and complex mast work. I'd honestly work my way up to the kit, unless you want to REALLY carefully build this.

FWIW, I've jumped into the photoetch game fairly recently and picked it up pretty quickly. You just need some sort of magnification, razor blades, tweezers, CA Glue, and something hard to break the PE from their sprues. Do you have anyone in your local IPMS chapter who's experienced? If you really want to build this kit, I'd suggest getting some hands on help. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Thanks Chris, I have very little experience with photoetch. Of course I'm a 1/48 aircraft builder, so the pieces are extremely small, and I assume 1/350 pieces would be easier to work with than 1/48 aircraft. But this is the only 1/350 Adams class model I could find. I've already build Dragon's 1/700. I was thinking maybe purchase it, before it goes out of stock, then like you said first gain experience, then start building it once I feel confident.

Guest PetrolGator

That sounds like a plan. All joking aside, browse YouTube for some tutorials. 1/350 can be very challenging, depending on how far you want to go into detail. I have a set of 20 mm AA guns that take about 15-20 minutes EACH to build without error. I normally, however, build slow, so that may not be typical. I'm still in my first year of this hobby.

I have built the Benjamin Stoddart kit and I can say that it is an excellent kit; well cast and straightforward in it's construction. The instructions are excellent and easy to follow as well. However, I don't think I would recommend it as a kit for newbies. The photo etch parts as others have mentioned are quite small and delicate to work with, but that's what make the kit look so good when completed. FWIW.

Interesting thanks for the info Rusty. I've only dealt with 1/48 aircraft5 photoetch parts, idk but maybe 1/350 parts are a little easier to work with. TBH the reason I'm considering it is my granddad had command of the Sampson, plus I'm part of an organization trying to bring the Adams to Jax Fl as a museum.

I also built Dragon's 1/700 Adams, which was extremely hard,and imo is too small.