Have you ever sat back and PRICED this hobby?

Guest PetrolGator

Pshaw. 1/72? Cake. Try 1/700! :smiley16:

I kid, I kid...

I'm waiting on another (potential) collection cleaning haul. Evidently, everyone and their brother wants to rid themselves of their 1/700 stuff pretty cheaply. Personally, I prefer the smaller scale.

I have tried 1/700. LOL! :smiley29: I have over 320 ships in 1/700 scale completed. :smiley20: :D Of course, none sport any photo-etch or even rigging; I built most all of them in my ancient youth. My Japanese Navy alone has at least on of every Heavy Cruiser class and every Destroyer class used by the IJN in WWII.

But yeah, I like having my cake and eating it too! :smiley2: :lol:

Guest PetrolGator

Sigh. I need to stop going to hobby shops.

Picked up:

- 1/700 USS Juneau (DML)

- 1/700 USS Arizona (DML)

- 1/700 IJN Matsu (Tamiya)

- 1/700 IJN Akizuki, full hull (Fujimi)

Oh, also a smattering of books, photo etch, and paint. Sigh.

Ahhh....youth! Reminds me of when I was young and needed one of everything! Now that I have one of everything (practically), it has started to save me some money. But there's a catch... you HAVE to be willing to build what you have!

I know a lot of guys who just HAVE to have the newest, latest, release, even when they have another older version in their stash. While I can understand wanting a better "experience" when you build something, it also drives your hobby costs UP! There has to be a HUGE difference between kits for me to justify replacing what I've already spent my money on. And, even then, sometimes the newer edition of something isn't a truly better experience! The two Goshawks I'm building (a 60's Lindberg kit and a 90's Classic Airframe kit) are a prime example of this!

You have to decide what's important to you. After all, if you're not maximizing your pleasure in the hobby, then you're actually short changing yourself! Just take a moment to think about how and where you spend your hobby dollars to be sure you're doing that, and not wasting money trying to be trendy.

GIL :smiley16:

Guest PetrolGator

I have this ambitious idea that I am going to build EVERY ship at the bottom of Ironbottom Sound or sunk during Guadalcanal. I've expanded that to ALL ships that served.

I'm well on my way. :)

Truth by told, I have kits I really want (Juneau) and others that fascinate me (Matsu.) Frankly, those late war DDs were what the Japanese should have built in like, 1939 and used to defend their convoys, but.... thankfully they didn't.

I can't speak about the IJN stuff but the Arizona by Dragon is a good kit. I still can't understand the loggic of splitting the deck in places that will show seams without removing most of the detail. The three leg mast is a bit of pain to get right too. Some builders revert to brass tube.

What color are you going with on her?

Looking at my stash so many kits so little time.... :smiley5:

Guest PetrolGator

I'm going to go with the December 7th look. Freetime also has the docks present along Ford Island which I'm thinking about using in a diorama. Should I purchase the wood deck, or is the plastic salvageable I'm also thinking about grabbing the PE set made by Tom's and 5"/38 cal open mounts made by Niko model, because, evidently money's not a thing or something.

I'll decide on IF I'm going with a wood deck or relying on my terrible modeling skills to paint the deck, once I try it on my Scharnhorst. I'm hoping to start THAT one will be started as soon as I clear my desk of the KGV and Buckley class.

My stash is growing, but I think I still have the time to build most of it. :smiley14:

well for mine I sanded and painted, (not happy with it!) but I'm not a big 700 fan like you. If this was 350 I would buy the wood, but tha't just me. If your going all out like with the guns and quay then I would finish it right with wood too. jmho

Guest PetrolGator

I'm still torn. The Scharnhorst was an insanely cheap pick up, also coming with barrels and photo etch. Between that and my stash of 1/700 AA, I can make a heck of a kit.

My kit that keeps winning was a guinea pig for techniques I hadn't done before. I guess with the Scharnhorst, I'm hoping to continue that mojo. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Funny old hobby isn't it? If the kit swap at the UK ScaleModelworld is anything to go by.

We buy the Kits, Photo Etch, After Market Parts etc.

Realise one day that the stash is becoming enormous!

Do the Maths........Life expectancy against building all the kits bought mostly on impulse = too many kits and bits.

Decide that they will outsurvive us and will have to be reduced drastically.

Resell at a loss (unless kits are rare).

Spend the money made on........You guessed it............More kits and bits to resell again at a loss when the stash increases again!

Are we less than clever or what?

Edited by noelsmith

• 2 months later...
Guest PetrolGator

Yeah. I've stopped buying kits until I whittle down the "stash" a bit. I've pretty much told myself I'm ONLY buying stuff that I know I can't get due to limited production. There are a few USN BBs in 1/700 that I'll snatch but, but that's it.