1:35 Tamiya Jagdtiger

jagdtiger46

I've long been a huge fan of the super heavy WWII German Jagdtiger tank destroyer. At roughly eighty tons (sources seem to vary regarding actual weight), the Jagdtiger was four times heavier than the M-24 Chaffee, and outgunned virtually everything that it ever encountered. Delighted that I recently discovered the 1:35 Tamiya kit (newer version), residing in my dungeon, I decided it was time to crank it out. Being slammed together almost entirely OOB, it’s gone rather rapidly so far. Model is shown on a base originally built (still not finished), for my DML JS-2, and model should be finished for our September/autumn invitational, if not before, though I'll be using a different base.

031613002_zpsc9d75201.jpg

031613007_zpsdcf4bf4b.jpg

This image is currently doing doubly duty as my avatar, until a suitable replacement is found.

Guest PetrolGator

I know very little about armor, but you look like you'll be done sooner than that!

I can't help but notice the shirt. Are you a St. Pete native?

I know very little about armor, but you look like you'll be done sooner than that!

I can't help but notice the shirt. Are you a St. Pete native?

No. Actually that shirt was one of a couple dozen just like it given to me by a friend. They're all XL, and too big for me, so I just use them as paint rags in my hobby cave.

OK, tonight I finished off the right side, now I'm ready for mud under the sponsons, then paint. I've added a couple of road wheels on either side, raising the vehicle, to get a better sense of poportions.

DSCN3854_zps87b76bf0.jpg

Surfing the web last night, I stumbled upon this picture. The frontal armor behid the gun mantlet was extraordinarily thick on the Jagdtiger, one of the reasons it was so difficult to deal with head-on.

23JagdtigerGlacisPlateDamag_zps5b1aa052.

• 8 months later...