D.520 Finished...

Wulf

Well, today is Mardi Gras and thanks to the state, I have the day off. So, I finished this puppy up. This is Tam's 1/48 kit and a very nice kit, as usual. Extras include scratchbuilt seat belts, pitot tube and gun barrels. The finish is MM and Tamiya acrylics. The first reference pic is a plane of the Group de Chasse Doret of the free France. These planes were reclaimed from the Germans (who used them as advanced trainers) and put back into service, hence all the mottling. Comments always welcomed...

Andy

D520reference.jpg

d520topr.jpg

d520topf.jpg

d520rf.jpg

d520pit.jpg

d520lrudder.jpg

d520lmid.jpg

d520lf.jpg

Hey Andy nice job on this one. I've eyed this kit more than once at the hobby shop but have yet to dive in and get one. Given that its Tamiya, am I to assume the great fit found in thier other products? Also looks like you got the decals to setle into the panel lines real well. All and all very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

That camo is spot on! :P Yea, I couldn't resist....

Actually could you elaborate on your airbrush, air source, panting pressures, paints, thinners, etc. as to how you achieved such precision? Lovely model!

GIL :smiley16:

That camo is spot on! :P Yea, I couldn't resist....

Actually could you elaborate on your airbrush, air source, panting pressures, paints, thinners, etc. as to how you achieved such precision? Lovely model!

Gil,

It really wasn't that bad to do. Just took a little time. To answer your questions: I use a Badger 150 illustration airbrush with a fine tip and needle. Really a great AB to use, if I may say so. The psi was about 12 or so. This psi will get the paint out but won't cause overspray and spatter. I used Tamiya acrylic thinned with Tamiya thinner (50/50). Didn't want to use alcohol since it would dry the paint quicker and clog the tip. Then, I tested and practiced on an old model. When I started on this one, I used short bursts to build up the color. I probably went back over each dot about 3 or 4 times over the course of the process. I'd say it took about an hour and a half to complete. About every ten minutes, I had to run lacquer thinner thru the AB to keep it flowing and clean.

Andy

Thanks for the info Andy! The results certainly justify the extra effort. I don't know about you, but the one time I did a camo that took an hour and a half of airbrushing it left a "dent" in the tip of my trigger finger that took a day and a half to go away! Maybe it's time to get a better airbrush.........Cheers!

Great job! I particularly like the way the rivet heads "pop" out in some of the pics.....

Andy,

Great job. Love the camo job, and was wondering:

Are all the markings decals or did you paint some (I had to paint the tail ines and was thinking bout the roundles too)?

Tracy :smiley14:

Tracey,

I painted the rudder stripes but everything else is decals.

Andy