Vallejo´s Chipping medium

Hi Freddie,

Interesting technique. I am not familiar with that Vallejo product. What doe it do? Is it a protector to the base coat? Would Future work just as well. It appears that most of the effect is achieved by brushing off the white acrylic top layer with a wet brush. I assume that the white acrylic may be dry to the touch but is not really fully cured. That way it can be partially removed by a wet brush. Would a base coat of enamels covered by the white acrylic work just as well. How does the Vallejo product add to the process?

Please don't think that I am being negative, I am just trying to understand what the Vallejo product does.

• 3 weeks later...

Clare, as the article shows, this is a variation on the hairspray technique.

You have a base coat -- acryl or enamel, generally protected by Future or varnish.

Over that is the spray coat -- hairspray or Vallejo. These are acrylic products soluble in water.

Over that is the top coat -- acryl or enamel, although most folks seem to use acryl because it is easier to chip..

When dry, use a wet Q-tip or paint brush to scrub/chip off the top coat and the underlying spray coat. Acryl comes off easier than enamel.

What the spray coat provides is a buffer between the base and the top coat, otherwise the top coat will bond to the undercoat and not be "chippable".

The acryl spray layer comes apart with water and makes it easier to lift off the top coat.

As mentioned in the article, one can spray Vallejo better than hairspray (especially from the rattlecan).

A whole bunch of people can explain it better than I have, I'm sure ....