Mr. White Putty - Best Uses?

Kranman

I grabbed a tube of this to try and have mixed results. It sands well but is definately not my Nitro Stan glazing putty. It's got a different consistency and seems to take a long time to cure and I was wondering what you guys might use it for, if you use it at all...

Frank

I use an auto-body putty called, "3M Acryl Blue". It's $25 a tube but my first tube lasted for 10 years! It is a fine grain putty and feathers extremely well with sandpaper. One can sand dry or wet, either way it works well.

It dries quickly, depending on how thick one applies it.

Wetting it with finger nail polish remover allows an even smoother surface than just the putty applied with the fnpr., but that slows drying time.

I swear by this stuff and use either it or stretched sprue without exception.

I had to special order mine from the local NAPA, but it wasn't difficult to get. I can post all of the stock #'s in info in anyone needs them...

I've had my tube for years, and there is still way over 80% left...

Here's the info in case anyone needs it.

My tube is well over 5 years old, so there is a chance that it has changed somewhat since then:

3M Acryl-Blue Glazing Putty

1lb 5oz tube

Part # 051144 - 05964

I have a tube of 'Bondo' glazing putty that works just fine (only because when I went looking for the 3M stuff the guys at Napa looked at me like I was some kind of nut). I used it in a heavier fashion on a project that is now about two years old... no sign of shrinkage and that is key to whether what you have is any good. I still use my Bondo brand but have also added a two part catalyzed filler to the arsenal. All to avoid shrinkage. Oh what would Freud think?

Freud? Didn't he have his brainstorm about shrinkage right after a cold shower? :smiley2: So whats the best thinner/remover for bondo?

G.L.