1/700 (or 350) WWI USN BBs

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

Please. PLEASE PLEASE. Even in resin.

Mind you, there are some kits out there, but they're insanely expensive. Still, nothing is as ugly/pretty as an old cage masted USN BB.

I can only tell you about the 350 versions from ISW. Yes they are expensive on face value, but when you consider the cost of a plastic kit with PE set/sets then it's not as bad as it may appear. I have the ISW BB26 which cost just under $300.00. On the plastic side I have the Revell Bismarck which cost under $100.00 for the kit but total spent so far with wood deck and three PE sets came to just under $500.00 total. If you go to the IJN side then Fujimi is way out there to start with, example would be Fuso at almost $400.+ depending on store. Then add a couple of PE sets and you see where your at. Now to be fair my BB26 will end up being more, having already ordered extra PE sets and tooling up for scratch building the cage mast. (which may change depending on what happens with Tom's new cage mast).

I find it hard to accept any 1/700 kit that cost $300.00, if I have to spend that much on one so small it better be very very good OOB.

If a styrene version of any cage mast ship was available and sold for $100.00 or less I would fill my stock very quickly. A new WV, TX or even better an AZ would be very welcome! After all the cage mast fleets were the golden age of battleships :smiley14:

Guest PetrolGator

I hear the quality on ISW is somewhat lacking, though.

Arthur, you know me. I generally prefer 1/700 for the cost and space. I would absolutely kill for a late war Texas that wasn't nearly junk. The recent build of Samek's version on modelwarships disenchanted me with that ship.

Now, Blue Water has those 1/700 BBS with all the jewlery coming out at an awesome price...

Oh don't get me wrong, ISW has issues, not that any kit hasn't though.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu218/sumterIII/BB%2026/BB27/DSCF1085.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu218/sumterIII/BB%2026/BB27/DSCF1080.jpg

The top side is excellent however even with that said this ship was modeled after a set of plans that I have problems with. There are places that I think went wrong, but still I can live with it.. like that cheetos commercial where evey time the guy takes a bite a robot slaps him...he says I can live with it....and so can I with this ship.

Truth is YS Masterpieces has one I'm drooling over. Le BOUVET 1896 1/350 scale, now I know it's not a cage mast but I LIKE it. This from all reports is the best resin kit out there. Nothing to add. Again about $300.00 but worth it.

I know what your wanting and so do many others including me, maybe someday the model deities will answer.

Have you looked at offerings from Combrig or Niko in 1/700 ?

FWIW, I shop online at Free Time Hobbies. I'm not real big on USN, but picked up USS Kansas (no cages, as on GWF tour) and USS Vermont (sister to Kansas, with post-GWF cage masts). Haven't built either yet.

Guest PetrolGator

Have you looked at offerings from Combrig or Niko in 1/700 ?

FWIW, I shop online at Free Time Hobbies. I'm not real big on USN, but picked up USS Kansas (no cages, as on GWF tour) and USS Vermont (sister to Kansas, with post-GWF cage masts). Haven't built either yet.

Oh yeah. I've given a LOT of money to FreeTime. ;)

Here's the thing: I want DREADNOUGHT USN BBs. I have this awesome colorized picture of the USS Nevada that just looks fantastic.

Guest PetrolGator

Hey, no worries.

I've got a few Combrig kits in my pile. I'm waiting for FreeTime to restock the Artist Hobby 1/700 PE for the HMS Tiger so I can build her to a standard deserving of such a ship. I'm going to model her with the SMS Seydlitz, just simply because they're my two favorite battlecruisers from WWI.

FWIW, I have a 3D model of a cage mast (from "blueprint" plans out of NARA) drawn adn await the delivery of my 3D printer. If all works out, I will be able to offer custom printed resin cagemasts in at least 1/350. The fineness needed for 1/700 may be below my abilities. Here are the machine specs:

Technology:Stereolithography (SLA)

Build Volume:125 x 125 x 165 mm
4.9 x 4.9 x 6.5 in

Min Feature Size: 300 microns (0.012 inches)
Min Layer Thickness: Z Axis Resolution 25 microns (0.001 inches)

at 12tho the legs of the mast look a little thick on screen, but I'll have to print it out to be sure. Plus I might be able to push the specs to the smaller side, as the 25 micron thickness can work in my favor if I build it on the proper axis

• 4 weeks later...

Zero. It's simply not going to make it onto the build list until after the Nationals. I also need to figure out where I stashed my original copy of "The Antelope", the ships official newspaper. It was one of the first purchases I made off eBay back when I joined in 98, and I want to display it with the model.

Rick L.

Guest PetrolGator

I just ordered the Trumpy Maryland + Blue Ridge goodies (deck, PE.) WHEN I get around to building it, well, I'll start a thread. Blue Ridge is just not fair. They're going to release ALL the USN BBs with photo etch, decking, and some with Kenny's GatorMasks, if applicable. My wife is going to kill me.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest PetrolGator

Has anyone heard anything about DML's (potential) USS Pennsylvania in 1/350? I keep seeing the renderings, but no news of a KIT. With all the attention recently to 1/350 ship kits (Indianapolis, etc) you'd think this would be a good time to release something like this...

Last I heard (three weeks ago) it was on indefinite hold. Note Brandon has removed the pre-sale order for the kit at Freetime Hobbies.

But what would I know after being banished for going to the dark side :(

Edited by sumterIII

Guest PetrolGator

It looks like DML is getting out of the ship business. Sucks. I guess I'll have to just dream of a retooled Scharnhorst into her sister, or even getting my hands on the original kit. Or a Pennsylvania. Or a Sims-class in 1/350.

Lame.

Guest PetrolGator

Well, MW crowd feels otherwise, which is good. I want a Gleaves retooled into a Sims so badly. I'm planning on having one of each of the US DD classes in 1/350, but with most of that being resin, well, money.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my look what Freetime has coming, 1/700 Samek Resin Models USS Michigan Battleship BB-27 1915....looks like I'm going for another 700 kit.